Sign in to follow this  
master_q

Keating Interview

Keating Interview

Keating Has Renewed Enthusiasm For Enterprise's Future

Source Sci Fi Pulse

6 November 2003

Star Trek Enterprise has had somewhat of a struggle ratings wise over the last year, and many considered the show dead and buried when The WB announced their plans to move Smallville to the same time as the 5th Star Trek show. In fact the ratings for Enterprise last year even gave Dominic Keating (Lieutenant Reed) cause for concern.

"I can't say there wasn't a kind of quicksand feeling for awhile," revealed Keating in his latest interview with Dreamwatch magazine. "I'm a bit of a worrier, definitely, and I got a little worried. The Seven year contract we signed was not as secure as it seemed when we signed it. I started thinking, 'Bloody Hell!'"

Thanks to a certain degree of revamping the 5th Star Trek show is now showing a little more strength in the ratings. And with there being a lot more action Keating has had to show some of his metal.

"I've had a lot more action and running around with guns and stuff since the changes were implemented," he says. "We're all there at Paramount more than we ever were. My workload has gone up exponentially. The days have been longer and I've had less time to pick up my dry cleaning, go to the gym, go to the bank and do other things. It's a lot of hours. And that's because it takes longer to do an action scene than a talking scene. There's more shooting involved. There are more camera moves. You shoot action scenes, usually, in smaller pieces and the scene is put together in the editing room."

At the time of this interview Keating was in the process of shooting the Western episode 'North Star'. The actor revealed that some time after North Star we may well see another episode that focuses more closely on his character of Reed.

"I think I have an episode coming up in which I'll be infiltrating the Xindi council, so that should be fun."

With regard to there being a future for Star Trek Enterprise, Keating is not a bit more optimistic than he was toward the end of last season.

"I think we are going to run. I can't see Viacom letting this just dribble down the drain. I go to conventions and talk to fans. There's such a groundswell of support for this show. Yeah, they (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't) a bit about continuity and stuff that niggles them, but all in all if you ask them, 'Do you want to have a show or don't you want to have a show?' they'd rather have a show."

"Right now, all of us on Enterprise are feeling OK. The [uS] ratings for The Xindi matched the ratings for [second season finale] The Expanse. The ratings for the second episode were up there too. I don't want to get too much into the politics of the franchise and its relationship with the network because these are conversations I'm just not privy to. We just want to do the best work we can and hope people will tune us in."

You can read the full version of this interview in issue 111 of Dreamwatch magazine which is out now in all good newsagents.

--scifipulse http://scifipulse.net/Trek%20Archive/Novem.../D_Keating.html

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

"I can't say there wasn't a kind of quicksand feeling for awhile," revealed Keating in his latest interview with Dreamwatch magazine. "I'm a bit of a worrier, definitely, and I got a little worried. The Seven year contract we signed was not as secure as it seemed when we signed it. I started thinking, 'Bloody Hell!'"

:o I wish I had made that bet with Admiral_Bill_Gomec that ENT would last beyond 3 seasons, a $1000 clams would have come in handy.

"I think I have an episode coming up in which I'll be infiltrating the Xindi council, so that should be fun."

:o Could this have something to do with Section 31? I hope so!

Sign in to follow this