Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

What's The Criteria To Be On Star Trek?

I was watching some re-runs and old tapes of mine when i suddenly began to notice that some guest stars and cameos by not well known actors were people who eventually made it to the big time (so to speak) in either later episodes or new series. it started when I was watching "Times Arrow" and noticed for the first time that one of the poker players who thought Data was an easy mark, was actually Mark Alaimo, a.k.a. Gul Dukat of DS9. There are more that I could list here but the point I want to make is, what type of actor does Berman and Braga look for when casting a new series or character? We all know not just any actor can wear the uniform and Genevieve Bujold was the most famous who couldn't take the pressure of Starfleet. But I wonder if anyone trying out for a part on Start Trek all have a common thread somewhere? Is it a science fiction background? Good characters actors with an immense open mind? A willingness to accept a menial role with the hope of being tossed a bigger bone? Whatever it is, I'm beginning to notice more and more on old episodes and even movies, people who have done and have a Trek background being used in other ways. Any thoughts on this and can anyone name other characters that had parts that were out of the familiar? Just curious if anyone else has ever caught this.

I think for many young actors like Ashley Judd and Kirsten Dunst being on Trek was a job and nothing more.

For some of the bigger names who appeared many were fans of TOS and/or TNG. Jean Simmons (The Drumhead) was a TOS fan. It should be no surprise that Mira Sorvino presented the TV Land award to TOS. Her father Paul Sorvino was in Homeward - he contacted the TNG powers asking if he could be on as he was a fan so it isn't surprising that Mira Sorvino would be a fan too. And of course Whoopi Goldberg practically begged to be on.

At the time that TNG was originally airing it wasn't common to have bigger name actors appear on most series. It is so much more common place now than before.

Robert Duncan McNeil was Nick Locarno in a TNG episode called "The First Duty" and then later landed the role of Tom Paris. And Tuvok was in a DS9 episode called "Through the Looking Glass" aswell. Although I think that was in some sort of mirror universe and Voyager had already got lost in the Delta Quadrent. There was a guest star on Voyager named Sarah Silverman, in "Future's End" I know I've seen her as a main character on a show called "Greg the Bunny" most of you wouldn't know it, I think it's Canadian and it didn't last long. But that show was definatly after Voyager. Her being a guest on Voyager may have helped her land the part. :)

P.S. When were Ashley Judd and Kirsten Dunst on Star Trek?

When were Ashley Judd and Kirsten Dunst on Star Trek?

Both were on TNG. Kirsten Dunst played Hedril in Dark Page. Ashley Judd played Robin Lefler in Darmok and The Game although she might have had an uncredited appearance as Lefler as well.

Yes Takara, I understand that to many actors it is just a job. But haven't you noticed there are certain actors that always seem to be called back to do another Trek episode or to take the character on again and evolve with it? Armin Shimmerman comes to mind. He was one of the first to actually don the Ferrengi ears in a TNG episode from the first or second year. Later he went on to personify the Ferrengi as Quark, your friendly, neighborhood barkeep. Plus Robert Duncan McNeil came back to take on a different character but a more prominent role. That was the point I was trying to make. That outside of the big names (e.g. Ashley Judd and Kirstan Dunst), there are a number of character actors that seem to show a preponderence for being called back time and time again. Jeffrey Coombs, Vaughn Armstrong just to name a few. There are many character actors in Hollywood, more so than big name screen actors, so why do a select few keep coming back? It can't be just about the money.

I agree that for the guests who appear frequently in either the same or different roles that the appeal must be a combination of the atmosphere at Trek and the mystique of Trek. Suzie Plakson is another name that can be added to your list. And John DeLancie, what was he doing before Q and now he has such a fan base...

Robert Duncan McNeil was Nick Locarno in a TNG episode called "The First Duty" and then later landed the role of Tom Paris. And Tuvok was in a DS9 episode called "Through the Looking Glass" aswell. Although I think that was in some sort of mirror universe and Voyager had already got lost in the Delta Quadrent. There was a guest star on Voyager named Sarah Silverman, in "Future's End" I know I've seen her as a main character on a show called "Greg the Bunny" most of you wouldn't know it, I think it's Canadian and it didn't last long. But that show was definatly after Voyager. Her being a guest on Voyager may have helped her land the part. :wow:

P.S. When were Ashley Judd and Kirsten Dunst on Star Trek?

Tim Russ was actually involved with every cast but Enterprise, and I read he wanted to have a guest role there to complete the circle. He was with TOS in Generations, TNG in Starship Mine, DS9 in Through the Looking Glass, and, of course, Tuvok on VOY.

I have 2 questons, though...who was Genevieve Bujold, and Suzie Plaxton?

Genevieve Bujold was the first choice to be the captain of Vayager. She lasted just one, count it, one day. Apparently the pace and energy of shooting a television show was too much for her to handle plus she didn't have a clue how to handle the techno-babble that was required. She walked after the first day of shooting. Apparently the French can give us a male captain but can't do a thing about the female equivilent. Susie Plaxton took the character of the female Q, plus she also did a stint as one of the savants on DS9 in two episodes.

Suzie Plakson also played K'Ehleyr in The Emissary and Reunion (K'Ehleyr was Alexander's mother) and the often named but only seen once Dr. Solar in The Schizoid Man on TNG and she was also an Andorian recently on Enterprise.

hee hee hee. Patrick Sterwart/Picard - French. That's a good one! :wow:

Ok, sorry. Thanks for the info. Poor Genevieve. (can't complain, though. Mulgrew's Janeway rules!)

Apparently the French can give us a male captain but can't do a thing about the female equivilent.

Just for the record Genevieve Bujold is Quebec French. It doesn't surprise me that she had a problem though. If you check out her career she has never done television except for a movie of the week many, many years ago. Movie productions and television productions are horses of very different colours.

I stand corrected. Quebec french IS quite different. And thank you for recognizing a fact that I've always tried to make on some posts when it comes to differentiating between what it takes to film a move and a television show. Some techniques may be the same but in television, the schedules are far more hectic, have less money for everything and don't always achieve the same quality when it assumes its final form.