Sign in to follow this  
Janeway_IDIC

My mind to your mind...

Of all Vulcan talents, I find their telepathic capabilities the most interesting. Whether it’s performing mind melds, sensing the thoughts of others or transferring their katras.

Some of my favourite examples of Vulcan telepathy are:

1. The mind meld between Sarek and Captain Kirk, when Sarek is trying to find Spock’s katra, in “Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock”.

2. When Spock extracts information from the mind of Valeris, in “Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country.”

3. When Tuvok attempts to give Suder some Vulcan self discipline, in “Meld”.

4. When Tuvok learns of Admiral Janeway’s plan to change the time line, because she touches his head, and then kisses him good bye as she leaves his hospital room (“Endgame”).

What are your favourite scenes involving Vulcans exercising their telepathic skills?

One of my favorites is in the TOS when Spock Mind Melds with the Horta in 'The Devil in the Dark'..That was just incredible...

I'd just like to add to the list the mind-meld between Sarek and Picard, when Sarek needed help to control his emotions - I wish I could remember the name of the epidode.

What I find most interesting is that in Enterprise's time, mind melds were considered unacceptable, but by the time of TOS, they're common.

Edited by incontinentia

Didn't Spock mind meld with Kirk (while Kirk was sleeping) after Edith Keeler died?In order to take some of the Captain's pain away,because Spock could not stand seeing his friend in such agony and despair.I felt that was a very touching moment.

Didn't Spock mind meld with Kirk (while Kirk was sleeping) after Edith Keeler died?In order to take some of the Captain's pain away,because Spock could not stand seeing his friend in such agony and despair.I felt that was a very touching moment.

I don't believe that he did in that episode. I do remember Spock doing that to Kirk at the end of 1 episode..I think it was 'Requiem for Methuselah' so Kirk would forget about Rayna...

In TOS episode The Omega Glory, Spock does a telepathic meld with a female captor who is holding a taken communicator causing her to flip it open thus giving Ent the location for beaming down a rescue squad. The meld sequence was very intense, extreme close-ups of Spocks eyes intensely burning into her subconscious.

Does anyone remember the TOS episode with the spoiled-brat princess with the table manners of a baboon, whose tears would cause any man who touched them to be unable to be apart from her? (did that make any sense?)

Anyway, didn't Spock do a mind meld with Kirk to help him forget "whatshername"?

Is that the episode where Spock touched Kirk's head & said "Forget" ? Or was that the "Rayna" episode?

I was a little unsettled by Spock's forced meld with Valeris in The Undiscovered Country.It was almost,well,obscene in a sense.I felt very uncomfortable watching that. :o

Spock's meld with picard after the death of Sarek was very moving.Almost brought a tear to my eye.

:o

Does anyone remember the TOS episode with the spoiled-brat princess with the table manners of a baboon, whose tears would cause any man who touched them to be unable to be apart from her? (did that make any sense?)

Anyway, didn't Spock do a mind meld with Kirk to help him forget "whatshername"?

Is that the episode where Spock touched Kirk's head & said "Forget" ? Or was that the "Rayna" episode?

That episode was 'Elaan of Troyius'..Yes, she was a spoiled brat. But if I remember right it was the Rayna episode that Spock melds with Kirk while he sleeps and tells him to forget. That was the episode 'Requiem for Methuselah' I think...

Edited by spacetigger

Yeah, I think you're right. Kirk was very much in love with her, so the "forget" mind meld at the end of that episode makes sense. How could I not make that connection?!? :o

I was a little unsettled by Spock's forced meld with Valeris in The Undiscovered Country.It was almost,well,obscene in a sense.I felt very uncomfortable watching that. :o

As well,you should have been,Sirius.It was a sort of forced telepathic rape.Even Spock was disgusted to have to do this,but the situation was far too critical for any other course of action.The crew of the Enterprise needed desperately to know information only Lieutenant Valeris knew,and she wasn't going to provide that knowledge willingly.Yes,that was unpleasant to watch.

One of my favorites is when,in the animated series,Spock mind touched with the creature devouring planets on "One of our planet's is missing".He and Kirk were able to convince the intelligent,but infantile being that populated worlds were not acceptable food,just in time before it ate a heavily populated Federation colony called Mantilles.

One of my favourite novels about Vulcans is “The Vulcan Academy Murders”, by Jean Lorrah. This book deals with different aspects of Vulcan culture, including their telepathic experiences, which the writer describes in amazingly vivid detail:

This scene describes the marriage and bonding of a Vulcan woman (T’Mir) and human man (Corrigan):

(Beginning on page 164)

“Her warm fingertips touched the side of his face. He knew the pattern of psi-points, found them on her face – and she was with him. He had no apprehension, for he had now experienced what a mind-touch could be outside of the coldly restricted healing meld. In some ways, this bonding meld was the same as the family healing meld he had experienced … it had the same deep-seated acceptance, the same warmth of recognition and ultimate trust.

But it was more. There was the exquisite awareness of male and female, opposites drawn to one another deeply and strongly in the eternal plan of nature. And as each found what he or she sought, there was a new sense formed – I think your thoughts! Corrigan realised, and felt the delighted laughter T’Mir would never utter aloud vibrating like the song of a silver-bird.

She was as exquisite mentally as she was physically, all Vulcan logic overlaid with her own charming thought patterns - and he could perceive himself in her mind, exotic yet familiar, alien without being foreign … Tenderly, they explored one another’s consciousness, entwining thoughts as they sat touching only through their fingertips on one another’s faces. Corrigan wanted it to go on forever. It will, T’Mir told him, her mind unfolding to him like a rosebud, inviting him into the depths of her being while at the same time she seemed to be everywhere in his mind, never prying, just there as a sweet presence, until-

T’Mir dropped her hand. “No!” Corrigan gasped involuntarily, but she took his hand and insistently pulled it from her face. The intensity of contact lessened - but it was not gone. She was still with him! He had never known anything like it … “Never and always,” he whispered … And he felt her sweet acceptance in his mind, saw his own joy reflected in her eyes.”

This just one of the many great telepathy scenes in this book.

Edited by Janeway_IDIC

WOW!!!

That's so hot it should be in Risa! I'm definitely going to get that book ASAP! Thanks for the "stimulating" post! :huh: :wow: :huh:

WOW!!!

I agree. The posted passage goes to show how a well written Trek novel can rock your Star Trek world!

Thank you for posting that Janeway_IDIC. :huh:

That episode was 'Elaan of Troyius'..Yes, she was a spoiled brat. But if I remember right it was the Rayna episode that Spock melds with Kirk while he sleeps and tells him to forget. That was the episode 'Requiem for Methuselah' I think...

I guess I'd better do some re-watching but I thought it was the episode The Paradise Syndrome with Miramanee; however I could very well be wrong.

I'm trying to remember an episode... it was a Voyager one where Tuvok kept having flashbacks and Janeway tried to help him...

That one was interesting.

But my favorite was the one in "Endgame"

The episode you’re thinking of is called, “Flashback”. It’s the second episode from season 3. Janeway and Tuvok relive Tuvok’s memories of serving on board the Excelsior with Captain Sulu during the events leading up the Kitomer Accords (Star Trek movie number 6: “The Undiscovered Country”). This is one of my favourite episodes of Voyager, the episode is also available in book form, the mind meld scenes are described in vivid detail.

I like the one one in Star Trek VI. You can feel tha green Vulcan blood pusling through your veins.

I'd just like to add to the list the mind-meld between Sarek and Picard, when Sarek needed help to control his emotions - I wish I could remember the name of the epidode.

What I find most interesting is that in Enterprise's time, mind melds were considered unacceptable, but by the time of TOS, they're common.

The episode you seek is simply "Sarek". I have no idea which season it is in.

T'Bree

In TOS episode The Omega Glory, Spock does a telepathic meld with a female captor who is holding a taken communicator causing her to flip it open thus giving Ent the location for beaming down a rescue squad. The meld sequence was very intense, extreme close-ups of Spocks eyes intensely burning into her subconscious.

I'm seeing a bit of confusion here, regarding Vulcans abilities to use telepathy and the mind meld. They are not one in the same. In the Omega Glory, Spock does indeed employ telepathy in order to influence the thinking of the girl who had the communicator. However, anytime he mind melds, as stated in "Dagger of the Mind" where we are first introduced to this phenomenon, Spock tells us outright, "this is not telepathy." This is an ability to become "one" with the other individual. To know their thoughts and to share their own. It is a deeper form of communication than telepathy and is used as part of a Vulcan's private, personal life.

telepathecally speaking, you could read another's mind without their feeling your presence, whereas in the mind meld, your presence is definitely known and felt. Check out "Dagger of the Mind" and see what I mean. Also, you'll note that the description of a mind meld, the complete lowering of one's mental barrier, is almost verbatum how Spock describes the marriage bonding touch in "Amok Time". I've gone round and round on this issue with others, but the facts are there, plain as day. I invite you all to check it out and see for yourselves.

T'Bree

A much worse mind meld occurred in DS9 when the Vulcan Maquis tried to strip information from Dukat's mind. He was able to resist her then, but it was still disturbing.

If I remember correctly, didn't Spock & Dr. McCoy mind-meld in "Wrath of Kahn?" Ya know, "Remember..." When Spock knew he was going to die from radiation poisoning after saving the Enterprise. That's my all-time favorite mind-meld scene.