Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Sonequa Martin-Green Beams Aboard Discovery

thumb_68cc1378d3051a9dd5069cd8966f1be3c3

The worst-kept secret in the universe now has been confirmed officially: Sonequa Martin-Green will beam aboard Star Trek: Discovery. And here's the real news... her character's name is First Officer Michael Burnham. 

Star Trek Discovery, Sonequa Martin-Green, Michael Burnham

Martin-Green comes to Discovery following a long and bloody run as Sasha Williams on The Walking Dead. Her other television and film credits include Toe to Toe, New Girl, Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, Army Wives and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Star Trek: Discovery will be available in countries around the world.

Star Trek Discovery CBS All Access

Star Trek Discovery Space Channel CraveTV

Star Trek Discovery Netflix

View the full article

I read a couple of comments at startrek.com, and they are already negative. I have to admit I am wondering why they are naming a female character 'Michael,' but I am willing to wait and hope. There were comments about political correctness and so forth. I hope the present political climate does not creep into Star Trek discussions here. That's what Off Topic Discussions are for.  Of course I made this comment....:rolleyes:

We know nothing about her except her name, a reason why she is named Michael may be offered as the character is fleshed out. 

It may be pronounced differently than it is spelled in print?

She may be transgender, decided not to feminize her name?

She may be playing a male character?

Maybe they don't think the same way about names in the future?

New interview with the actress 

Contains Spoiler's concerning the season 7 finale of The Walking Dead

Sonequa Martin-Green on Her Journey From 'Walking Dead' to 'Star Trek'

The highlights concerning Discovery:

You're officially confirmed to play First Officer Michael Burnham on Star Trek: Discovery. How does the character compare to Sasha?

Being the first officer on the ship is going to be a wild ride because we haven't seen that happen before in the Star Trek canon, we haven't seen the story be told from the perspective of the first officer rather than the captain. It's going to open up so much potential for new storylines because not being the captain automatically gives you a different perspective. It's going to be a wild ride and everybody on board — in front of the camera and behind — I've been floored by the performances on The Walking Dead from the beginning and I'm going to be astounded again by the people we've got assembled on Star Trek. I'm really excited.