Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Celebrating Shatner's 86th Birthday with Kirk's Best Moments

thumb_2cb2ee462ddb10539383ad5b0b072190ec

William Shatner -- the man, the legend, Star Trek's original Captain James T. Kirk -- turns 86 years young today. And there's just no stopping him. He's got a new book on the way (Spirit of the Horse: A Celebration of Fact and Fable), a full slate of convention appearances locked in, and he just signed on to star in the romantic comedy film Senior Moment, in which he'll portray a retired Top Gun Navy pilot who tested aircraft for NASA back in the day.

To celebrate, Shatner's big day, we at StarTrek.com asked fans to answer the question, "What were some of Captain Kirk's best moments?" Here are some of the top comments/replies:

When Kirk opens the storage compartments and was covered in Tribbles. "As Captain, I want two things done. First, find Cyrano Jones, and second... close that door." Classic!! ("The Trouble with Tribbles")

When he dueled with a Q and won! And, no, I don't care that the Q-Squared book isn't part of canon! As far as I'm concerned, Trelane is a Q!

When he asked the Almighty for his I.D. "Excuse me, what does God need with a Starship?" (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)

"They used to say if man could fly, he'd have wings, but he did fly. He discovered he had to. Do you wish that the first Apollo mission hadn't reached the moon, or that we hadn't gone on to Mars and then to the nearest star? That's like saying you wish that you still operate with scalpels and sewed your patients up with catgut like your great-great-great-great grandfather used to. I'm in command. I could order this, but I'm not because Doctor McCoy is right in pointing out the enormous danger potential in any contact with life and intelligence as fantastically advanced as this, but I must point out that the possibilities - the potential for knowledge and advancement - is equally great. Risk! Risk is our business. That's what this starship is all about. That's why we're aboard her." ("Return to Tomorrow")

"Of my friend I can only say this: Of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most... human." (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Waiting to be beamed over to the Enterprise before being engulfed by the planet killer: "Gentlemen, I suggest you beam me aboard!" ("The Doomsday Machine")

So, what was YOUR favorite Kirk moment, as brought to life by Shatner? While you contemplate that, please join StarTrek.com on offering our best birthday wishes to Shatner. 

View the full article