Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Quinto On Relationships

SpockUhuraKirk-050613.gif

In a new interview, Zachary Quinto explains what it’s like working with two of his co-stars, Chris Pine and Zoe Saldana, and he also describes the Spock-Uhura relationship in Star Trek into Darkness.

There are mild spoilers behind the cut.

After the smooth sailing of the Spock-Uhura relationship in 2009′s Star Trek, the pair is tested in Star Trek into Darkness. “…it was such a surprise in the first movie for the audiences to be faced with the fact of that relationship,” said Quinto. “I think in this one the writers done such a great job of taking us in yet another unexpected direction, where the convergence of work and personal relationship actually provides more conflict than either of these characters would ever have expected, and are comfortable with. There’s a lot of upheaval in this film, and all of us have to deal with it in our own unique ways. I really liked those relationships.”

Working with Saldana was no problem though. “Zoe Saldana is such an angel,” said Quinto. “She’s got such an openness and vulnerability on camera and yet such great strength. She can kick ass with the best of them, but then she can soften and open up in a way that is magnetizing whether you’re watching her on set or on screen – she’s got a real power to her. I love her; we’ve known each other for years and it’s great to come back to that kind of familiarity, especially when you’re working with such intimacy.”

When it comes to co-star Pine, Quinto and Pine have had similar experiences in their careers and it’s a comfort for Quinto to have someone else around who knows what it’s like to be where he is now, career-wise. “The great thing about working with Chris is that we really check in with each other creatively and personally,” said Quinto. “We’ve both gone through a lot of stuff since the first movie came out and it’s really nice to be able to connect with him about that, and bring it to our work together.

“There is an implicit trust, and I think something that happened to both of us in this film, we both came to realize the impact that being a part of this franchise is not only going to have on our careers, but on our lives. And it’s always a blast. Chris is an incredibly hard working actor; he’s enormously talented; he’s very serious about what he’s doing. He’s really able to bring the bravado of this character and complexity of this character to life in a really exciting way.”

View the full article