Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Trek Cast Interview Video

CastInterview041713.gif

Several of the Star Trek into Darkness cast members took part in a Q&A that was part of a special eighteen minute preview for theater owners.

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, John Cho, and Alice Eve took part in the Q&A, which took place on Monday and was moderated by Damon Lindelof.

Pine, whose character is said to be undergoing growth in the second film, elaborated on what will happen to the brash Kirk. “I think in the first film, I guess really Kirk got the chair a bit too prematurely,” he said. “He was still a kid. He was a brash, headstrong, at times arrogant kid, a punk. I think in this installment, we see Kirk earn the chair, and I think a lot of maturing happens in this film for Kirk, for a man who thinks he knows everything and leads with his gut and leads with his heart, and is all kind of passion and heart.

“He’s a man that has to learn to censor himself sometimes, and our bad guy, John Harrison, basically levels this mirror in front of Kirk in which he sees all of his vulnerabilities and his fallibility and everything that is wrong with how he leads his men and women into battle. And it brings him to his knees.

“I think you can expect a lot more vulnerability from this young man who is trying to find his way and trying to learn how to captain this incredible vessel full of these incredible people who are becoming his friends and family.”

Quinto spoke about how he had to restrain himself emotionally while playing the unemotional Spock. “It can be incredibly challenging or frustrating,” he explained. “I feel like as an actor, the goal tends to be to explore, especially in film and television with as much variety as possible and the limitations [of the character] are pretty strong for me as an actor when I’m playing this role, but it gives me an opportunity to cultivate an interior life that I think is ultimately the true heart of this character.

“I just saw Leonard [Nimoy] a few days ago actually and we were talking about, were giving an interview about the character and it was one of the things we both really connected to about Spock, is that it is an erroneous notion that he doesn’t have an emotional life. It’s just a matter of his inability to express it, so this movie gives me an opportunity to explore that in a lot of ways and also to be much more physical than I was in the first movie.

“And I think whereas Kirk’s journey in this film is learning about being a leader, and truly being a leader, not just being a captain, not just being assigned a position; I think Spock’s journey in this film is really learning how to honor that emotional life and learning how to be accountable to the people that he cares about and loves ultimately.”

In the rest of the short video, Alice Eve shared her experiences in working with the established Star Trek cast and how nervous she was initially, while Lindelof explained that viewing Star Trek into Darkness in 3D makes for a superior movie viewing experience.

View the full article