Sign in to follow this  
xenexian

Wandering back in from reality.

At my age I still wonder from time to time if the old trek flame isn't dimming just a little. It's been quite a while since I've logged on and when I've looked in the past not much seems to be happening. Has it really been about ten years since I've first logged on here, back in those heady days of when Star Trek still ruled a good measure of the airwaves? Back when this site had an almost 24/7 feel to it? I may be an old trekker but I still enjoy making Star Trek a part of my everyday life. Such things as calling freeways warp corridors, telling the convenience store attendant that I need 15 gallons of anti-matter instead of gas. Decorating my work studio with all Trek memorabilia and throwing a bit of technobabble into everyday conversation. Being an audio engineer I can get away with it especially if I have to track down a stray audio signal, slap-back or signal flow path. It's interesting to hear my clients reaction when I say to them I have to realign the plasma flow to the ISDN unit so I can reverse the polarity to the data stream safely in the foldback audio circuit so they can hear you clearly. I still make Trek fun, first and foremost. But as I started to say at the top, as much fun as Star Trek has and continues to be, I find that the enthusiasm just doesn't have quite the same flavor as before. I still immerse myself in Trek canon, play my star trek computer games and read the New Frontier series (you should too, by the way) and am pleased that the new movies did better than I could have hoped for but I find myself more now willing to see a younger generation catch on and carry the torch a bit. Star Trek will remain a part of me and I'll still be coming here from time to time, more so in the foreseeable future, but I don't know how much more I can add to the already complete, incredible universe that is Star Trek and it adherents. I'm glad to see the site is still here so I'll be back more often again even if it's just to see if any other of us older trekkers are still around.