Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Stewart To Receive PFLAG Award

StewartPicard0321121.gif

Sir Patrick Stewart has been chosen to receive an award from PFLAG National, a national organization for families, friends, and straight allies of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Other honorees will include NFL players Brendon Ayanbadejo and Chris Kluwe, author John Irving, and the Whirlpool Corporation.

Stewart will be receiving the Straight for Equality in Entertainment Award.

“From breaking through the ‘don’t play gay’ barrier with roles in Jeffrey, Frasier and now his upcoming film Match to his unwavering support for putting an end to violence against women, Sir Patrick Stewart is an ideal honoree,” said PFLAG National Executive Director Jody M. Huckaby. “His roles in both X-Men and Star Trek: The Next Generation—two franchises which have touched on themes such as the damage done by discrimination and the hurt inflicted by exclusion—have sent uncompromising messages to viewers, particularly GLBT youth, who have found themselves feeling hopeless and without allies.”

“I am delighted and honored to receive this PFLAG Straight for Equality in Entertainment Award,” said Stewart. “From my earliest years as an actor I have always been proud of the support the creative community gives to all forms of human and civil rights.”

The Fifth Annual Straight for Equality Awards Gala will be held on Thursday, April 4th in New York City at the Marriott Marquis Times Square.

View the full article