Sign in to follow this  
first_redneck_in_space

Which do you prefer?

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Enterprise Vulcans (Elitest bastards)
    • TOS Vulcans (Cold,green-blooded,unfeeling...okay,McCoy)
    • TNG,DS9,Voyager Vulcans (aloof,detached)

I went with TOS Vulcans. Spock rocks and what is with the Vulcans in enterprise just learning how to mind meld I missed the whole ep. when they talk about it but man thats fast inbetween enterprise and TOS mind melding becomes so comon place?

I voted for TOS Vulcans..Spock Rocks..There hasn't been enough time for me to like the Enterprise Vulcans better..Perhaps in time as the show develops..

I liked the TOS vulcans the best... Spock is the man :lol:

There were some vulcans in TNG (Sarek, and Spock, too, I know :laugh: ), but I always liked the TOS ones the best.

Mrs. Captain Picard

I agree with the majority i like the TOS vulacns the best. Go spock.

:laugh:

Edited by Tal Shiar 8472

I couldn't pick just one, because to me, the Vulcans seem consistant from one Trek to the next. The way Humans and Vulcans relate to each other has changed dramatically though.

The ENT Vulcans seem like elitist "B-word" snobs because each species is still getting to know each other, but as time (and Trek) goes on, Humans learn that Vulcans aren't neccessarily arrogant, but in such control of their emotions that they just appear that way.

Basically, I just like all Vulcans!

On second thought, I'm voting for the ENT Vulcans, because its Human-Vulcan interactions are so much fun to watch!!! :laugh: :lol:

TOS Vulcans were the most colorful.T'Pau,Spock,Sarek,T'Pring,Stonn.They were fascinating.

I voted for them. :lol:

I prefer the way Vulcans are portrayed in TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. The Vulcan culture is extremely interesting. Especially the IDIC (Infinity Diversity in Infinite Combinations) philosophy. Vulcans appreciate the importance of diversity and variation within society. Vulcans value education, they search for knowledge and aspire to achieve a greater understanding of themselves and the universe. I also appreciate and admire the Vulcan way of life, which embraces rationalism and vegetarianism.

Vulcans developed some of the greatest centres of learning within the Federation. Their calm, logical approach to life has enabled them to solve many otherwise volatile situations peacefully. They also have a strong sense of connection with their environment, particularly the planet Vulcan. The hot dry climate has formed their culture, producing the highly resourceful people that they are. With the insights of Surak, they also bought peace to their planet and eliminated war, starvation, poverty and disease. This enabled the entire population to enjoy a high quality of life. And led to the pursuit of knowledge, exploration of the universe and contact with new peoples. They went on to help establish the Federation and spread peace to other worlds.

I don't at all appreciate how Vulcans are portrayed on Enterprise, they seem to be extremely arrogant and obnoxious, and in complete contradiction to their established traits of tolerance, equanimity and pacifism progressively built upon in TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

It looks like we may actually have an active Vulcan Embassy! ;)

I hope everyone keeps comming back.

BTW, Janeway_IDIC, you made a very good point about the ENT Vulcans. At first I thought it was just the way Humans related to the Vulcans, but the more I think about it, the ones at Starfleet HQ ARE arrogant and obnoxious! :grin:

I can't say I've ever noticed any great destinction between the Vulcans of any of the era's listed in the poll.Sure,on Enterprise there have been small differences,but this is only because the Vulcans are yet maturing.For the most part,the Vulcans are the same throughout Star Trek.

Still,for the sake of the poll I'll vote TOS.

I do have to qualify my answer a bit by pointing out that while seemingly cold, Sarek was anything but. And Spock was also a very gentle, kind soul who did protest his emotions, but had them all the same. The Vulcans weren't "cold" in TOS, just controlled. The thing that drew me to them was the way their personalites lit up the screen. We loved Sarek, despite his cool demeaner, because he was quite the character even so. Mark Lenard really encapsulated Vulcans' mastery of their emotions.

What I find lacking in some of the other portrayals of Vulcans is that key ingredient: personality! Even Tuvok displayed one. He wasn't Spock, he wasn't Sarek he was Tuvok. I disagree that it is age that makes T'Pol the way she is. The actress is struggling to understand the controlled emotions versus what makes T'Pol who she is. Spock's ex-fiancee, T'Pring, displayed her personality all too well in the short time we saw her onscreen in "Amok Time". She was defiant, spoiled and conniving, all without getting into the emotions behind it. So there you have it.

T'Bree

I don't quite agree with the way they were described for the TNG/DS9 era but I voted TOS. I view the TOS and TNG/DS9 vulcans the same though.