Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Abrams: Expect To Cry

AbramsQuintoCumberbatch012213.gif

Fans going to see Star Trek Into Darkness this May should bring along some Kleenex.

The villain John Harrison “tears into the fabric of the world and the Enterprise family,” said Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Harrison. “It leaves a trail of devastation.”

“There is an insidiousness and ruthlessness and fierce intelligence to [Harrison] that almost undermines the interconnectivity of the crew,” said Zachary Quinto. “The stakes are much higher.” Quinto also warned fans that “there’s reason to worry” about favorite characters.

Kirk and Spock will have to work together in Star Trek into Darkness and put aside their differences. “The definition of who these two people are definitely comes to bear in this film,” said Chris Pine. “It’s central to what happens in the story. Spock is a logical man of cold reason who is run by laws, regulations and prescriptions. Kirk is a guttural, by-the-heart, instinctive and impulsive guy. Those two ways of looking at the world are central to these characters and their journey.”

Expect tears, said J.J. Abrams. “The goal of this movie is to make you cry,” he said. “If the movie does its job, then by the end of the movie, you will have had a reaction involving the eyes. If the movie works, then there’s definitely an emotional component.”

View the full article

At this point I am trying to be confident JJ will honor his word to Star Trek and not dump the final film of a trilogy off on someone else.

Worst case scenario would be a delay with part 3 of ST but even that could be unlikely given the 4 years it has been taking between them. Given this past experience, part 3 probably would not have come out by 2017 anyway. SW E7 has been said to release 2015 so that gives him more than two years to make ST 3.

My first thought was "OMG NOOOOOOOO!!!" Now I'm thinking it might be OK. I'd just rather have Star Wars and Star Trek completely separate by having each done by different directors. Oh well, we'll see.

BTW, I don't want to cry from sadness, unless there's something good at the end.