Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

The Next Film Should Only Be...

I think that the next Star Trek film should be a Next Generation film. I have many reasons for my belief that the torch should not be passed on, but my major reason would have to be that I believe that TNG contains the a better set of actors than the alternatives, people such as Patrick and Brent are two actors who add depth to a character that others can not. I also think it would be sad if we were never again to see a film involving characters that Gene had created himself and it could be argued that TNG has been the most successful ST series to date, hence it would pull in a larger audience than the later Treks.

Perhaps this call for a new crew for the next film can be attributed to the fact that they are more recent and that people feel that TNG is a bit old. However, I for one feel that TNG is superior to all the later Treks (coming just behind TOS) and that the ditching of this crew would only facilitate any downfall that Trek may be experiencing as they would not pull in the casual viewer to the cinema.

However, the most important factor for me is that I really love TNG and enjoy their adventures in a way that I have found hard with DS9 or Voyager, and to be honest I just want more!

So, do any of you other Trekies agree with me/disagree with me? What are your thoughts on the matter?

P.S. The Next Generation ROCKS :)

i completely agree. the original cast movies kept going even though it was a little old. tng is waaay younger then tos and they made movies forever! i think it is time for patrick stewart to suck it up. he is and always will be known as captain picard and there is no denying that fact. sure, he is succesful on broadway, but not nearly as succesful as he is with tng. we need at least on more tng movie to finish things up. there are waaay too many loose ends hanging everywhere in nemesis to end the tng movies with that. i have too many unanswered questions.

Well, TransporterMalfunction, you have my vote! TNG needs at least one more movie....and Brent and Patrick need to be in it (especially Brent :) )! They have plenty more they can do, and no matter what they say, the series is still very young!

i think it is time for patrick stewart to suck it up. he is and always will be known as captain picard and there is no denying that fact. sure, he is succesful on broadway, but not nearly as succesful as he is with tng.

Patrick Stewart has been pretty successful in X-Men and has had incredible reviews for television movies such as Lion in the Winter, A Christmas Carol and Moby (Please stop me from cursing). He hasn't actually appeared on Broadway for a few years. Here is his Broadway resume:

Productions Function Dates of Production

A Christmas Carol Dec 24, 2001 - Dec 30, 2001

The Ride Down Mt. Morgan Apr 9, 2000 - Jul 23, 2000

The Tempest Nov 1, 1995 - Dec 31, 1995

A Christmas Carol Dec 22, 1994 - Jan 8, 1995

A Christmas Carol Dec 17, 1992 - Jan 3, 1993

A Christmas Carol Dec 19, 1991 - Dec 29, 1991

Brent Spiner has been doing a lot of theatre in between the movies including his current role in Life X3 on Broadway. Other than a leading role in Master of Diguise he seems to be taking a lot of smaller roles in films.

I agree that there needs to be another TNG movie. If the next movie doesn't have Patrick Stewart and/or Brent Spiner (as either Data or B4) then I most likely won't go. If they want to add some new characters to the crew with established TNG crew that would be fine. I think any new characters need to be introduced to us before "flying solo". In all of the previous movies we have know the characters as if they are our family and it would be difficult to go into a movie not knowing who these people are.

While I allways hoped that TNG would make at least 5 movies, I'll settle for 4. The cast is getting old and they want to move on to other projects, not to mention that their latest movie kinda stunk in theaters.

I say they should make a mixed cast movie and plug ANYONE into the movie! See my post on the "Who should be in the next movie?" thread! :)

I completely agree that TNG cast should be featured in the next movie. Mostly because I don't want those hacks to write a DS9 movie and completely miss the mark on what DS9 was all about for we who loved it.

I loved TNG too, but lets face it ... Generations was only o.k. (aside from a wonderful performance from Malcolm MacDowell). However, FIRST CONTACT is probably my favorite TREK movie, or at least right up there with TWOK and TVH. But then Insurrection was just annoying. Nemesis was o.k. for what it was ... an action flick.

You know what I'd like to see in the next movie? Q.

And something else ... why can't we return to the Picard/Dr. Crusher topic? In the TNG series finale we have Beverly and Picard divorced ... I realize that was only one possible reality, but I for one would rather see them explore a romance between Picard and Beverly who have a history rather than haul in another stupid, vapid female (i.e. Anige the B'aku) for Picard to wine and dine.