Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

DS9 Mini-Series

I was thinking about what crew they should use in the next movie. I'd like to see the Voyager crew in #11 with a new ship, but a mixed-cast seems more likely. With the way DS9's finale ended, I thought they were building up a movie, not spin-off books. Would anyone like to see an epic 10-part mini-series to bring DS9 back and tie up loose ends?

I would like to but the spin off books were really good and I think it would be a great idea to do a mini movie but use the spin off books as the script.

I haven't read the books, I have stayed away from almost all ST books since they aren't canon. But as everyone here knows (or should know by now) I wand DS9 in a movie/movies very much. I'd like to see the next 6 movies be DS9 but getting one will be hard enough lol.

As for Voyager I won't say it "can't" be done but I see it as unlikely.

I haven't read any of the books that take place after the series ends. (I think, personally, it's because I don't want the series to be over. I've read the ones that take place DURING the series.)

I'll watch anything that's DS9!!

Season 5 came yesterday in the mail - I've already watched six eps. :lol:

I love DS9, a mini-series would be great. I've also read some of the relaunch novels and some of those stories would lend themselves well to a mini-series.

I agree with LadyNarana, I just want more DS9.

VBG, if DS9 were the "only movie option", then I'd be all for a DS9 movie. However, we have 4 options: DS9, VOY, mixed cast, and new cast. With this said, I think DS9's best bet at getting "a few final adventures" would be in the form of an epic mini-series like SCI-FI's Taken.

VBG, if DS9 were the "only movie option", then I'd be all for a DS9 movie.  However, we have 4 options: DS9, VOY, mixed cast, and new cast.  With this said, I think DS9's best bet at getting "a few final adventures" would be in the form of an epic mini-series like SCI-FI's Taken.

I don't say that DS9 is the "only option", it's just the only option I want to see done. That's just my personal choice though. In another thread I've posted a movie thread that would be more "mixed cast":

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...t=0entry84371

Of all the Trek series out there though, I believe Voyager has the least chance of a feature film. As for Mixed case at best a few of the Voyager actors have a shot at cameos in other films (TNG or DS9). I have always read that TPTB "disliked" DS9 so there is doubt in my mind that they would ever do a movie.

Personally though, I want DS9 and I want it to be a "Non-Mixed cast". Plain and simple DS9.

Myself I want a DS9 movie or six or seven lol. I agree with VBG that I see VOY becoming a movie as unlikely as the finale pretty much wrapped it up on that one.

Voyager was about more than "going home".  Just becuase they returned to Earth, doesn't mean there isn't anything left to tell. :lol:

I disagree to an extent, Voyager's main plot was getting home. They had sub-plots along the way but the underlying theme was the voyage to return home. Once they got home it's likely that more then half of the people on the ship went in all different directions possibly even jail (though I doubt it). It has been pointed out in the past (by me for one) that the characters don't "have" to be Starfleet to make a movie but in Voyager many of the crew (that we knew) were outlaws (in the eyes of the Federation).

Is there potential for for a movie in Voyager? Sure I'm open to all the possibilities. Is there probability in a Voyager movie? No, I don't think so. I see more potential in a DS9 movie then a Voyager movie, of course I recognize the fact that I'm biased in DS9's favor. I see potential for Voyager to have a cameo role in a DS9 or TNG movie but not a Stand alone movie.

Think of Voyager as you might think of Gilligans Island. A group of diverse people shipwrecked together and forced to adapt to life in the wilderness until they are finally rescued. Once rescued they remain friends, a couple of them still work together but the rest go their separate ways. They keep in touch once in a while but that's about it.

I don't see much story depth in the Voyager characters now that they've been rescued. It'd be interesting to see what happened to Seven or if Chakotay and B'Elanna go to prison but there's no "Movie Depth" there (As someone else pointed out in another thread).

Same with DS9, if they were to make a movie just so we can see that Sisko comes home, Odo doesn't and Jake joined Starfleet to be with Nog it would be pointless.

Come up with a good story that only DS9 could do, or only Voyager could do and that's different.

VOY was more episodic in nature. This is why I feel a VOY movie would work better than a DS9 movie. It'd be more "accessable" by the general movie going audience. Also, remember the first Trek movie? Kirk, Spock, and McCoy had gone in seperate directions, yet they managed to return to the Enterprise.

The truth is, we don't know what happened to the crew once Voyager got home. Saying they split up and went in different directions is an assumption. I'm glad VOY ended the way it did. Since we didn't get to see what happens to the crew after they got home, this gives the writers endless possibilities in what the Voyager crew are up to. Besides, we don't have to have all 8 characters (Neelix was left on the Tallaxian colony) star in the movie. One could be absent, another could camo, and so forth. In any event, I think both DS9 and VOY have equal potential for making a movie. DS9 has it's story arcs while VOY has it's action packed episodes. In the end, it all comes down to two factors. 1. Berman & Braga pick a series to base #11 on. 2. They get good writers who can pull off a good story and bring the characters back together.

I would love to see a ds9 or voy movie but I really don't think it is going to happen. IMO even a mixed cast movie is not going to happen as the last two next gen movies did not make enough. I am really thinking that they are going to hold off on making a movie until enterprise is over then make some movies with them.

Only a portion of DS9 was "arc" based. Seasons 1 through 3 were for the most part episodic and stand alone.

Season 4 started to deal with the Klingons but only briefly.

Season 5 dealt more with the Klingons in some episodes but had more single episodes then Arc episodes.

Season 6 and began what was really the main "Arc" that people think about with DS9 and that's the Dominion war that runs the length of season 6 and 7.

So for the most part there were 5 "non-arc" seasons with 2 "arc" seasons. So to say that DS9 was "Arc" based and therefore any movie would have to follow the Arc and that fans wouldn't be able to follow along unless they knew the arc is incorrect.

I believe there are more story possibilities with a DS9 movie then with a Voyager movie simply because DS9's "universe" was in the Alpha quadrant. All of the races and characters we met for 7 years reside in the Alpha Quadrant.

Voyager spent 7 years in the Delta quadrant, everyone we met for those 7 years that wasn't on the ship (except Seven) is still in the Delta Quadrant. Any story written for a Voyager movie would likely be a generic Alpha Quadrant story that any of the shows could be the focus of.

About the only story I can think of that would be specific to Voyager would be if Starfleet wanted to send Voyager back to the Delta Quadrant for some reason.

I like Voyager and would like to at least see the Doctor in a movie but I can't say that I would go right out to see a Voyager specific movie like I would a TOS, TNG or DS9 movie.

Originally, it was planned to have Voyager get home in the Season 4 finale, and have Season 5 be about Voyager "back home". They abandoned this idea and then decided to go for it again for Season 7. Voyager going home was pushed back to mid Season 7, then back to the final episodes, to the series finale, and then to the last 5 mins. If they were considerring bringing Voyager home before the series ended, then surely a movie "can" be made. It's just a matter of having a good story written.

This is why I say TNG (with Riker as the star), DS9, VOY, a mixed cast, or a new cast have an equal chance of being the next movie. It all boils down to good writing and a good imagination.

As I've said before, a mixed-cast is most likely, but I'd still rather see a VOY movie about the reprecussions of their return in the Alpha Quadrant. Perhaps the Romulans attempt to steal technology obtained from the Delta Quadrant and/or future, setting the plot for a VOY movie? I dunno. As I said before, it all boils down to good writing and a good imagination. :lol:

I believe it was pushed back and pushed back for a reason though. The show, as good as it was to it's fans and other Star Trek fans wouldn't and likely couldn't attract the casual TV viewers that would just as likely watch pro bowling unless there was something "different" about the show. Being 70,000 light years away from home and so much unknown was that "catch". Put the ship in the Alpha Quadrant and it's "just another ship" flying around in space. Kind of "been there done that".

I believe a movie would have the same affect, unless there is something "unusual" about it then it's just "Star Trek" with a bunch of different characters and for people that don't know Star Trek the crew would just be a bunch of "unknowns" and could seem like a pointless effort to keep Trek alive.

A DS9 movie could be seen the same way by the average movie goer, I don't know. I just see more possibilities with the setting of Bajor, DS9 and the Wormhole in conjunction with the Gamma Quadrant, The Founders and the Jem'Hadar.

Convince me that a Voyager movie could have the success it would need to spawn more movies. What characters from Voyager other then the ships crew could be brought into a movie that people haven't seen on the big screen already? With DS9 there's many, the ones I've already mentioned being the Founders and the Jem'Hadar. Then there's the Vorta and the Ferengi and any number of possibilities. Voyager being back in the Alpha Quadrant really limits the "Voyager" storyline quite a bit. IMO anyway.

Even though the novels are not considered "cannon", I'm thinking maybe the next movie should be based on the Star Trek:New Frontier series written by Peter David. He's created another ensemble cast that (other than Shelby) would be NEW faces on the big screen for all - Trekkers and non-Trekkers alike.

This might be a method of pulling in more of the Sci-Fi fans who are reluctant to even look at Trek because of it's popularity or some other "peer" pressure. (Hope that comes across the way I meant it to...)

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a DS9 movie/mini-series with all the characters brought back! I haven't read any of the novels since the end of the series on TV, but am wondering just how well Quark took his brother becoming the Grand Nagus?....

If I were watching television one night and a DS9 mini-series came on, I would of course be surprised and happy to watch it. I do, however, believe that nothing lasts forever. And that sometimes a story has a beginning, a middle and an end. And DS9 had a lovely ending, with all loose ends cleared up. Tp re-open that can of worms would be a diversion of resources that would be better invested in something new with a future. The old saying 'you can't flog a dead horse' and 'let sleeping dogs lie' spring to mind.

I'm not interrested in "New Frontier" becoming a movie.  If they're not going to continue the TNG/DS9/VOY stories, then I'd like to see something fresh and new. :lol:

The characters of New Frontier would be something fresh and new. :lol:

I'm not interrested in "New Frontier" becoming a movie.  If they're not going to continue the TNG/DS9/VOY stories, then I'd like to see something fresh and new. :lol:

The characters of New Frontier would be something fresh and new. :lol:

But the ship and time perriod wouldn't. They've done 21 seasons and 4 movies of the late 24th century. It's time to do a DS9 or VOY movie, or move on to something new.

I have said it more times than I can count that it would be great to see the new frontier books on the screen big or small and it is very fresh and new yes its in the same time line but its in a different part of space that has never been seen on trek with a totaly different pace than the other treks I would love to see the new frontier books become cannon.

If I were watching television one night and a DS9 mini-series came on, I would of course be surprised and happy to watch it. I do, however, believe that nothing lasts forever. And that sometimes a story has a beginning, a middle and an end. And DS9 had a lovely ending, with all loose ends cleared up. To re-open that can  of worms would be a diversion of resources that would be better invested in something new with a future. The old saying 'you can't flog a dead horse' and 'let sleeping dogs lie' spring to mind.

I would be more inclined to think that way about Voyager, more than DS9. DS9 left it's fans with something to wonder, and characters separated (plus, I nefver did really like the finale). Voyager, ended the basic arc of the story, which was getting home. They did so, and if I'm right have all separated. There aren't any questions left to be answered, or atleast not more than DS9 left, and I want to see Sisko come back.

To say that the Voyager crew split up is an assumption. There are plenty of questions to be answerred for VOY.

Does Chakotay rejoin Starfleet?

Do Tom & B'Elanna settle to raise Miral?

Does Tom get to keep his Starfleet rank?

Could Harry's next post be the Enterprise-E, replacing Data as the Chief OPS officer?

Will Admiral Janeway continue to work at Starfleet Command or request a ship to be mobile like Admiral Ross, instead of working a desk job?

Will Voyager be re-commissioned after being reverse engineered by Starfleet engineers?

Will Species 8472 invade the Federation?

Will the Vadwaar find their way to the Alpha Quadrant?

What about the Hirogen in the Beta Quadrant?

Were the Borg truelly defeated, or were they just damaged?

As I said, there's plenty of story left to make at least 2 VOY movies.

To say that the Voyager crew split up is an assumption.  There are plenty of questions to be answerred for VOY.

Could Harry's next post be the Enterprise-E, replacing Data as the Chief OPS officer?

Will Admiral Janeway continue to work at Starfleet Command or request a ship to be mobile like Admiral Ross, instead of working a desk job?

Will Voyager be re-commissioned after being reverse engineered by Starfleet engineers?

I see less assumption in saying that the Voyager "crew" broke up then in saying "Data is dead".

Seven was once a Borg drone and never was Starfleet, would likely be seen as a traitor by many at Starfleet and while it's possible he would be allowed back his career would likely be dead in the water. B'Elanna washed out of the academy after the first year I believe and I forget why Tom was kicked out. As for Harry replacing Data, remember Harry was a "raw ensign" on his first assignment and Data had more then 25 years experience. You don't take someone on his second assignment and replace a 25+ year veteran.

Voyager was completely wrapped up, I think it was done that way so TPTB wouldn't have to worry about a possible movie.

DS9 and TNG on the other hand left a lot of questions that could be addressed. I'm sure the diehard Voyager fans would still find many many movie possibilities but if you aren't an especially big fan of the show then a Voyager movie just doesn't appeal. I'm sure the same is true for people that only marginally liked DS9.

Convince me that a Voyager movie could have the success it would need to spawn more movies. What characters from Voyager other then the ships crew could be brought into a movie that people haven't seen on the big screen already? With DS9 there's many, the ones I've already mentioned being the Founders and the Jem'Hadar. Then there's the Vorta and the Ferengi and any number of possibilities. Voyager being back in the Alpha Quadrant really limits the "Voyager" storyline quite a bit. IMO anyway.

I'm open to the idea of a Voyager movie, but convince me that it would add to Star Trek movie "Universe" in a positive way. Other then revisiting old characters to see "where are they now" what would a Voyager movie bring to the big screen?

To say that the Voyager crew split up is an assumption.  There are plenty of questions to be answerred for VOY.

I see less assumption in saying that the Voyager "crew" broke up then in saying "Data is dead".

Seven was once a Borg drone and never was Starfleet, would likely be seen as a traitor by many at Starfleet and while it's possible he would be allowed back his career would likely be dead in the water. B'Elanna washed out of the academy after the first year I believe and I forget why Tom was kicked out. As for Harry replacing Data, remember Harry was a "raw ensign" on his first assignment and Data had more then 25 years experience. You don't take someone on his second assignment and replace a 25+ year veteran.

Voyager was completely wrapped up, I think it was done that way so TPTB wouldn't have to worry about a possible movie.

DS9 and TNG on the other hand left a lot of questions that could be addressed. I'm sure the diehard Voyager fans would still find many many movie possibilities but if you aren't an especially big fan of the show then a Voyager movie just doesn't appeal. I'm sure the same is true for people that only marginally liked DS9.

I'm open to the idea of a Voyager movie, but convince me that it would add to Star Trek movie "Universe" in a positive way. Other then revisiting old characters to see "where are they now" what would a Voyager movie bring to the big screen?

We didn't see Voyager's crew split up, we saw the Schimitar explode with Data on it. I'd say assuming Voyager's crew split up is speculation where as assuming Data died is a high probability.

Seven can allways join the acadamy. If a Klingon can join, why not an ex-Borg? As for B'Elanna, maybe she'll be given a full time rank of Lieutenant? As for Tom, who knows, maybe he proved to Starfleet he was worthy of being an officer. With Janeway an Admiral, maybe people like Tom will be able to stay in Starfleet if desired? Harry may not be able to replace Data, but I'd still like him to end up on the Enterprise-E. Would'a been nice to see him in a cameo at the end of the movie.

Voyager was completely wrapped up? Duh. Any TV show "wraps up" with it's series finale. However, like a sci-fi show should, I think VOY left plenty to the imagination, and a door open for possible movies.

TNG, DS9, & VOY all left a lot of questions that "could" be adressed in a future movie or in novels. You just have to look in the right places.

Well, with Voyager, there's plenty of options. Instead of being predictable and giving them the Voyager-A, they could go a different route and let them keep the ship, becuase I think the design could be movie worthy with some upgrades, or just give them an entirely new ship. We could see everyone return except Neelix, not sure what he would add to the movie. Maybe Kes could return as her super-evolved self, and perhaps a more enlightened being since "Fury"? We could have the Borg returned as an evolved/vengeful enemy, Species 8472's invasion of the Federation, the alien parasites from TNG's "Conspiracy", the Vaadwar, the Hirogen who's race spans the Delta and Beta Quadrants, maybe Q, a time travel story tieing together VOY's two 29th century encounters to ENT's TCW storyline. I could go on and on...

Here's a possibility. The movie could spend 20 mins on setup and re-uniting the crew, then take us deep into the Beta Quadrant on an entirely new ship. This is why I think VOY is the best bet for a movie. They have the option to do entirely new stories. We have the crew, minus Neelix who wouldn't add much, and Voyager or a new ship. Everything else could be entirely new! With DS9, you'd have to continue story arcs from the show, thus you risk loosing some average movie goers.

In conclusion, here's a brief opinion on Trek 11 options:

TNG - Start the movie with Admiral Picard transferring Riker and Troi to the Enterprise. We don't need all 7 character for it to be a TNG movie. The story could focus on Riker, Worf, LaForge, Crusher, and Troi, along with some new faces, and we could have Harry Kim assigned to the Enterprise in a minor role.

DS9 - Do a "Sisko returns" story and deal with a new threat in the Gamma Quadrant after the Defiant is destroyed while on a scientific mission. We could even see that the Federation is helping the Cardassians rebuild their world, and in an ironic twist, have the Cardassians become close allies.

VOY - Reunite the crew on an upgraded Voyager or a new ship and do something totally original. That's why I liked VOY, you never knew what was going to happen next, so for that reason, a VOY movie has great potential.

ENT - I think it's too early, I'd love to see an ENT movie, but not till the series ends first.

Mixed Cast - This is something I've read Berman would like to see happen, and if written right, could make for an awesome movie.

New Cast - This is really the only option I don't care for. I don't mind having a new ship or a stand-alone story. However, for me a STAR TREK movie is about the characters as much as it is the story, so a new cast wouldn't do squat for me.

Voyager was completely wrapped up?  Duh.  Any TV show "wraps up" with it's series finale.  However, like a sci-fi show should, I think VOY left plenty to the imagination, and a door open for possible movies.

No, a production company doesn't colse off a series they way they did with Voyager's final episode unless they really intend it to be the "final story". Voyager may have left pleanty for Voyager's fans imaginations but a reality check will show that it's not really realistic to expect a "Voyager" movie.

Despite popular belief DS9 was not all about Arcs. As I explained in a previous post there were really only 2 real "Arc" seasons. Besides, I think an "Arc" format lends itself to movies better anyway.

I didn't see Data die, I didn't see any components. Jarok's statement to Data in TNG's "The Defector" about how Romulan cyberneticists would LOVE to be that close to Data lends credence to the possibility that he was beamed away by the Romulans. Until you show me Data's head floating in space you can't convince me he's dead. You saw the ship explode, you "think" Data was on board at the moment of the explosion but you don't know that. One thing I've learned with life, you can't always believe what you see. If so then you would believe that I had my picture taken with each of the crews on each of their sets, I was an Astronaut, I met Elvis and all of the other pictures you may have seen here.

Well, with Voyager, there's plenty of options. Instead of being predictable and giving them the Voyager-A, they could go a different route and let them keep the ship, because I think the design could be movie worthy with some upgrades, or just give them an entirely new ship. We could see everyone return except Neelix, not sure what he would add to the movie. Maybe Kes could return as her super-evolved self, and perhaps a more enlightened being since "Fury"? We could have the Borg returned as an evolved/vengeful enemy, Species 8472's invasion of the Federation, the alien parasites from TNG's "Conspiracy", the Vaadwar, the Hirogen who's race spans the Delta and Beta Quadrants, maybe Q, a time travel story tieing together VOY's two 29th century encounters to ENT's TCW storyline. I could go on and on...

I don't see the options as realistic for Voyager. The only story that I think could have a possibility would be Species 8472 and I highly doubt it will be none. All of the other stories are either not interesting to non-Voyager fans or could be done by any other cast using any other setting.

The Borg are played out, Q might be amusing but only with Picard and not for a movie plot and time travel is played out.

Here's a possibility.  The movie could spend 20 mins on setup and re-uniting the crew, then take us deep into the Beta Quadrant on an entirely new ship.  This is why I think VOY is the best bet for a movie.  They have the option to do entirely new stories.  We have the crew, minus Neelix who wouldn't add much, and Voyager or a new ship.  Everything else could be entirely new!  With DS9, you'd have to continue story arcs from the show, thus you risk loosing some average movie goers.

Spend 20 minutes to catch up on characters that the majority of movie goers didn't know in the first place? You're talking about using around 25% of the movie just to bring the audience "up to speed" with character background. Not going to happen, I'd bet the farm on that one. If you are going to use 25% of a movie to "catch the audience up" then why wouldn't that plan work to bring an audience up to speed with a DS9 Arc? It could be done in a more "action packed" manner I believe.

As much as I want a DS9 movie I don't believe one will ever be made (Jorel if you ever do a DS9 "movie" I want in! :lol: ), but I am more certain that a Voyager movie won't be made. They wrapped Voyager up when it got home in a way that no other Star Trek was ever "completed". TOS never had a "final episode" until ST VI: TUDC, TNG had a final episode but left a lot of room and didn't "complete" anything by any stretch of the imagination. DS9 left a lot of openings as well with Sisko's departure to be with the prophets the biggest opportunity for a movie, Enterprise is still going on but if they stick to the timeline of 1 year per season then we have a lot we could look for in movies with the Romulan war and the founding of the Federation. Voyager? Well they had a crew composed of Starfleet rejects, criminals and a former Borg Drone (I don't see her going to the Academy). Granted this is Sci-Fi and Starfleet "could" welcome the "rejects and criminals" with open arms in light of their travels in the Delta Quadrant but would it make for a believable story?

Put in terms of today's news. If a U.S. Citizen were to see a people as "oppressed" and opt to go fight for them, which causes them to come into a combat situation with U.S. forces what would happen? Lets say this person becomes stranded someplace with a couple of his mercenary friends and a large group of U.S. Soldiers. They have to work together to survive and overcome. One day they are either rescued or somehow find their way home. What happens to the "mercenaries" that fought the U.S. Soldiers? Are they invited to go to West Point? Are they automatically granted rank and position in the military, or are they prosecuted for treason? At the very least they would be released to go on with their lives and at the most they would be tried for treason. Remember the American Taliban? That's a little stretch for a comparison but if we are supposed to look upon Starfleet and Star Trek as if it was real then we have to consider how a real entity would handle such situations.

Basically I'm still not convinced that Voyager is the best option for a new Star Trek movie. I want them to make a movie that will have good success at the box office, does that mean a DS9, TNG or Mixed movie? I don't know but I don't believe Voyager alone has enough there to support a movie.