Sign in to follow this  
Vic

A New Generation of Reading Rainbow To Debut

Star Trek: The Next Generation‘s LeVar Burton has announced the launch of “RRKidz, a breakthrough reading, discovery and exploration platform that motivates today’s kids to experience literature via the digital devices they love.”

Burton was the producer and the host of PBS’s award-winning Reading Rainbow, which ran from 1983 until 2006.

Burton121610.gifAccording to a press release from RRKidz, “RRKidz will be available as a free app on iPad and select Android devices, offering hundreds of books via a subscription service and will be curated by Burton, providing the high level of trust parents seek.

“For twenty-five years Reading Rainbow gave me the opportunity to excite children about books and reading through the medium of television,” said Burton. “With RRKidz, I will be able to bring that same spirit of discovery, imagination and adventure to today’s digitally connected kids through enhanced e-books. RRKidz’ innovative platform allows us to deliver an incredibly exciting interactive storytelling experience through partnerships with leading publishers.”

“Teachers and parents grew up with LeVar Burton and Reading Rainbow, and the thought of the brand coming back in a big new way is thrilling,” said John Raymonds, Raymonds Capital, LLC. “RRKidz empowers every parent to say yes to reading by making content more accessible and affordable for families.”

The first RRKidz product to be released will be a “multimedia-enhanced reading ecosystem on the iPad. Hand-selected stories are given a digital upgrade with voice-overs, light animation, and games.”

Burton will be able to “enhance a PDF book with voice-over, light animation, and games ‘in a matter of hours.’”

View the full article

Putting it back on TV or via a site like Disney or NickJr does for several of their kids shows would be great too for those of us who do not have nor can really afford the iPad or dont exactly want our kids running around with an Android phone. I adored Reading Rainbow as a kid, but until it comes back to TV, website (other than just reruns you find in clips on YouTube), or Netflix/Hulu... guess my kiddos will have to just wait on it then. :(

I recently saw Levar Burton speak at the Chicago Comic Con, and he referred to this announcement. As a Children's Librarian I referred patrons to and read the books from Reading Rainbow in Storytimes for years. Burton deserves huge credit for being involved in all versions of Reading Rainbow.

While I applaud the idea of having more literature recommended to children, the fact is that many children, including those who can probably not afford digital devices, need access to these books the most. Hopefully the list will be made available and people can still get access the the actual books, if they can't afford access to the new RRKidz.