Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Koenig: Shatner Was No Patrick Stewart

Even though one might have assumed that the hatchet was buried when Walter Koenig appeared on Shatner’s Raw Nerve earlier this year, Koenig is still not a fan of William Shatner.

According to TrekMovie.com, while speaking to an audience at the London Comic Con held last weekend, Koenig revealed his lingering bitterness towards his fellow actor.

WalterKoenig082510.gifWhen asked if his appearance on Shatner’s Raw Nerve had helped to heal the wounds of the past, Koenig said, “No, not really.” He went on to explain though that Shatner had been “very generous” and “in my old age, I’d like to think that [his invitation to appear on the show to talk things out] had been genuine.”

Koenig explained that Shatner “just never got it,” when it came to the animosity he raised in Koenig, James Doohan and George Takei. “Bill wasn’t Patrick Stewart,” Koenig explained to the audience. “We never had the respect for our captain the way the TNG crew had theirs.”

View the full article

He's just mad that Shatner made a career for himself after Trek and he was relegated mainly to guest appearances on TV, regional dinner theater and a couple of direct to video movies. Koenig's career as an author and screenwriter didn't do too well either.

Seriously, I'm tired of the whole Shatner vs. Koenig thingy. Can't they just give it a rest already? <_<

I wish they'd all just shut up and get over it already. After all, how many decades has it been?

I always felt the animosity blossomed because there was an expectation that this would be ensemble cast taking turns in the limelight, when it really became the triumverate of Kirk, Spock and McCoy having most of the lines and scenes.

And Shatner is egotistical.

But they were the three main characters. That's the way Rodenbery set the show up. They were *supposed* to get the most lines and scenes!

However, you have to admire how Shatner made it part of his persona. Remember, Shatner left Trek with the common image that he wasn't a very good actor. Now he wins Emmys! You think he would have been offered roles with 3rd Rock from the Sun, Boston Legal, Shit My Dad Says, and Priceline.com if he didn't cultivate an image of himself as a washed-up egotistical buffoon? Forget it. His career would have been over with Trek. Yeah he took an unusual gamble by feeding into what his critics despised about him, but it paid off big time.

During Trek's run Leonard Nimoy was hands down the better actor, and he was just as much a household name as Shatner. But did Nimoy get any significant gigs after that? Nothing non-Trek fans would know about. Shatner went on to get other roles because while we laughed at him we also laughed *with* him.

But they were the three main characters. That's the way Rodenbery set the show up. They were *supposed* to get the most lines and scenes!

However, you have to admire how Shatner made it part of his persona. Remember, Shatner left Trek with the common image that he wasn't a very good actor. Now he wins Emmys! You think he would have been offered roles with 3rd Rock from the Sun, Boston Legal, Shit My Dad Says, and Priceline.com if he didn't cultivate an image of himself as a washed-up egotistical buffoon? Forget it. His career would have been over with Trek. Yeah he took an unusual gamble by feeding into what his critics despised about him, but it paid off big time.

During Trek's run Leonard Nimoy was hands down the better actor, and he was just as much a household name as Shatner. But did Nimoy get any significant gigs after that? Nothing non-Trek fans would know about. Shatner went on to get other roles because while we laughed at him we also laughed *with* him.

Excellent assesment of the situation!

All the Trek alumni feuding has only gone to show [me] that the 'camaraderie' they all used to boast was a hugh part of their Trek movie making experiences was bullshit.