Sign in to follow this  
He Who Shall Not Be Named

Osama bin Laden

From Wikipedia:

"A celebrity, also referred to as a celeb in popular culture, is a person who has a prominent profile in the media and is easily recognised. Celebrity status might be associated with certain professions and frequent appearances in the media. It can arise as a result of career planning but it can also arise by accident or as a result of infamy."

By that definition Osama bin Laden was a celebrity.

You are, unfortunately, correct.

I really, really wish the media would stop putting up his image, especially of him smiling. And video clips are worse, played at near slow motion in order to lend a greater sense of grace or dignity to the subject. I don't know what that effect is called in the business but I do know they have no business doing it with him.

Oh, and another thing - why does Fox spell his name with a U instead of an O, like everyone else?

AE, The name could be spelled either way. I can't remember what the exact term is, but since the name is being transfered from the Arabic alphabet to the Latin alphabet, there isn't a direct spelling translation. Both OSAMA and USAMA are technically correct spellings.

Oh, and another thing - why does Fox spell his name with a U instead of an O, like everyone else?

It's how the FBI spells it...

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden

Thank you, Kevin.

It's funny, he isn't listed there as being wanted for the WTC attacks specifically, but for this:

CAUTION

Usama Bin Laden is wanted in connection with the August 7, 1998, bombings of the United States Embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya. These attacks killed over 200 people. In addition, Bin Laden is a suspect in other terrorist attacks throughout the world.

I see it says 'and for other attacks' but it just seems strange not to have WTC leading the list even if it wasn't first.

AE, The name could be spelled either way. I can't remember what the exact term is, but since the name is being transfered from the Arabic alphabet to the Latin alphabet, there isn't a direct spelling translation. Both OSAMA and USAMA are technically correct spellings.

I see, thank you.