Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Ten dollar bill shortage?

When I specifically ask for them, I get them. Otherwise I am usually offered twenties. I usually ask for some (also fives) whenever I get money out of the bank.

I work in a grocery store as a cashier. We don't even get 10 dollar bills when we start our shifts for the day. And we hardly ever get one from customers for payment. And it has been this way for the 19 years I have been in this job.

A cashier for 19 years?

Nothing wrong with that. Better than being a perv for as many years as you've been.

You know, it IS kind of suspicious... it seems like I have been experiencing a shortage of $10 bills lately. $1 bills are no problem, $10's though... ;)

would be interesting to know, wonder if you could google the answer?

I did, with one result - someone asking the same question.

When I specifically ask for them, I get them. Otherwise I am usually offered twenties. I usually ask for some (also fives) whenever I get money out of the bank.

I mean, when breaking a twenty for somethings under $5 I always get three fives back instead of a 10 and a 5. Under 10 always nets me 2 fivers in change instead of a ten.

I work in a grocery store as a cashier. We don't even get 10 dollar bills when we start our shifts for the day. And we hardly ever get one from customers for payment. And it has been this way for the 19 years I have been in this job.

Huh. I did not know that. Do you know why that is?

You know, it IS kind of suspicious... it seems like I have been experiencing a shortage of $10 bills lately. $1 bills are no problem, $10's though... ;)

Yeah! So it's not just me.

I took 11 fives shopping today. I expected the cashier to groan about me pay in all fives and to my shock - she needed 5s! I asked her if she had any 10s in the till and she did - just one though.

I took 11 fives shopping today. I expected the cashier to groan about me pay in all fives and to my shock - she needed 5s! I asked her if she had any 10s in the till and she did - just one though.

Maybe they're going to be changing the $10 and are now starting to collect them. I know there was a push at one point to put President Reagan on the $10 but I never heard of it going forward.

I got a $5 bill and 5 $1 bills at the grocery store, after making sure I gave a $20 and change so that all I needed to receive was a ten and a nickel....

I just realized that I can't remember the last time I got a $10 bill as change, but I can get them at the bank if I ask for them.

I rarely pay with cash so I haven't noticed but we always have $10s in the register at my parents store.

I know there were discussions of putting President Reagan on the $10 bill, maybe they're starting to hold them back for a pending change.

All bill circulation has returned to normal, for me. I am currently holding 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s, a 50 and some 100s.

Perhaps the shortages have a traveling nature, moving from area to area...

I know there were discussions of putting President Reagan on the $10 bill, maybe they're starting to hold them back for a pending change.

Wouldn't the media say something about it? I heard nothing about that.

I do remember seeing some commercial which features $100 bills being produced with large red lettering visible on them, presumably new security features. Heard anything about that?

I know a bill was brought up in 2006 or 2007 but didn't pass back then. I'm not sure what, if any other efforts have happened since then.

I didn't even know there was a bill (pardon the pun) introduced. I heard about it a year ago via Facebook.

We do have a Mt. Diablo that some people want to rename Mt. Reagan, but it is more out of dissatisfaction with the current name. Apparently Diablo is code for Satan or something stupid like that.

There has been a series of pushes, for some time, to have something in every county in the US named after Reagan. As far as money goes, there was a push at one time for Reagan to replace Roosevelt on the dime, but it was strenuously opposed who remember the connection between Roosevelt and the March of Dimes.

As stated before I get tens at the bank when I ask, though they tend to offer to give mainly twenties. Still not getting tens in change much at all.

just for the record, here is a shot I took off the TV of the (new?) orange 100 dollar bills I mentioned up stream, being minted.

orange 100 dollar bills.jpg

Can we put Darwin on our money like the Brits do?

Seriously, one thing that does need to be eliminated are small coins. It costs the US Mint 4 cents to make a penny and I think 8 cents to make a nickle. Nickles are used over and over again, but pennies are only useful to most people to see how far we can throw them.