Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Deep Space Nine in HD

I'm not sure if this was ever brought up around here before but a few weeks ago I was searching to see if there were plans to put DS9, TNG or Voyager on Blu Ray and came across an article that explained that a Blu Ray release was probably never going to happen.

The reason being that after they filmed all of the scenes and sent the film off for post production it was all converted to video and then processed for effects and so on. So in order to make HD copies of the shows they'd have to take each episode back into post production, re-edit, re-add all the special effects and the score. They'd basically be starting from scratch with each episode.

Has anyone read about this? I can't seem to find the article again now. I'd love to have HD copies of all of the series but I could understand that the cost of doing so would be too high.

I never understood how they could take old shows filmed with old cameras and get more definition anyway, also how can animation be HD???

I never understood how they could take old shows filmed with old cameras and get more definition anyway, also how can animation be HD???

I don't fully understand it all either but if I recall, the old shows were shot on film and the original film is actually HD in quality. But with DS9 and those other series they were converted to video and made into SD quality so they can't go back to the original without going through full post production.

If it was shot on 35mm print film it can be processed at around 4k resolution. Blu-Ray is a little less than 2k. Even though it's old film it is still higher resolution than broadcast video. Our methods of viewing it in our homes has just improved over the years.

Amimation is based on the same rules of live action. If you draw something small and blow it up the edge definition becomes pixelated. So if you scan you images in at a higher rate you get better edge consistancy.

Special effects practical or cgi are based on the same resolution rules.

If it was shot on 35mm print film it can be processed at around 4k resolution. Blu-Ray is a little less than 2k. Even though it's old film it is still higher resolution than broadcast video. Our methods of viewing it in our homes has just improved over the years.

Amimation is based on the same rules of live action. If you draw something small and blow it up the edge definition becomes pixelated. So if you scan you images in at a higher rate you get better edge consistancy.

Interesting, and welcome to the board. I just wish they had been a little more far sighted when they were producing TNG, DS9 and Voyager and hadn't converted all of the raw film to video before post production.

^

Maybe it was cheaper that way? I don't know... money is a strong motivator sometimes. I for one am glad... I'd have hated to be forced to buy TNG *again*. lol (On the other hand, the TNG DVDs look pretty good on my 12 year old TV, I can't complain!)

Interesting, and welcome to the board. I just wish they had been a little more far sighted when they were producing TNG, DS9 and Voyager and hadn't converted all of the raw film to video before post production.

Agreed. Yet another example of "new and improved" being nothing of the sort. I have heard of HD "upconverting" which may be able to improve future releases of those series but I cannot say for sure how decent a process it really is.

^

Maybe it was cheaper that way? I don't know... money is a strong motivator sometimes. I for one am glad... I'd have hated to be forced to buy TNG *again*. lol (On the other hand, the TNG DVDs look pretty good on my 12 year old TV, I can't complain!)

Yes, the DVD's do look ok. The only thing that made me even think about it was that I just got a new 58" Plasma in December and in January or February I re-watched all of Enterprise. Once I finished Enterprise I started DS9 and missed having the 16:9 aspect ratio (The other series are all 4:3).

I also think the colors and effects would look awesome in HD, they look great in SD but HD would be amazing.