Sign in to follow this  
trekz

Klingon Christmas Carol

Just returned from a performance of A Klingon Christmas Carol in Chicago by the Comedia Beauregard Company. This production was originally done 4 years ago in Minneapolis and this year is the first production staged in Chicago.

The play was very entertaining, clever, and very funny. It was narrated by a Vulcan from the Vulcan Language Institute, and there were subtitles in English for the Klingon speech. There are many Star Trek references including 'red shirts', Ferenghi, transportation, etc. The ghosts of Kahless past present and future visit Scrooge and work to insoire hin to regain his honor and help prevent the death of Tiny Tim during his ceremony of Accension. Tiny Tim is represented by an intricate puppet.

I laughed a lot and enjoyed this thoroughly. If you ever have a chance to see this, do so!

He had a lot of dark black hair on his forehead, but yes I believe he did! He also was costumed like the early TOS Klingons, with that chain mess stuff over his uniform. He had a fu manchu. His character also did a hilarious "transportation effect several times uing lights, music, lights off, music back, and lights back up.

Also mentioned were 'The Undiscovered Country", Sto'Vo'Kor, the Black Fleet, Rura Penthe, and "son of a tribble' as an insult.

This was very funny.

The only places this play has been performed, as far as I know, were the Minneapolis area (for the last 4 years), and this year in Chicago. It is supposed to return to Chicago next year.

The theater company, Commedia Beauregard, specializes in doing translations, and a few years ago wanted to do something special for Christmas. After a number of suggestions of a language to choose, someone suggested Klingon, in jest. The company eventually came up with A Klingon Christmas Carol, with a translation that has apparently improved over the years.