Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Bakula: Enterprise Five Years On

It has been five years since Star Trek: Enterprise ended and Scott Bakula shares his opinion on what was good and what went wrong. Plus: Will a Quantum Leap movie happen?

In spite of Star Trek: Enterprise ending too soon, plus the ending which was more of a Star Trek: The Next Generation show, Bakula looks back fondly on his time as Captain Archer. “Oh, it was a fantastic experience,” he said. “I had a ball. We had some fantastically talented people on all sides of the camera. We had great actors, tremendously creative effects people and set people and makeup people and… It was fantastic. You were working with some of the most talented people and ground-breakers in the industry, and I got to do it for four years.”

BakulaSmall.gifLike many others, including fans and actors alike, Bakula wasn’t keen on the ending. “I have to say that when I first read the script I was off-put by it,” he said. “I had a long talk with Rick (Berman) and Brannon (Braga) about it and they explained their idea and philosophy to me. I don’t know that I ever … Gosh, the end of anything is always hard to write. It was a little odd, but that was their call.”

What would Enterprise have been like, had it had the full seven year run? “Things were dictated by the times, by it being post-9/11, but I wanted us to hopefully get back to having a little bit more fun on the show and to get out of that whole Xindi thing,” said Bakula. “That would have been fun. I think we were pointing in that direction. I think the group was ready to go. The cast was ready to get there, and I think we could have had a blast. But we just didn’t get to go there.  And I wanted Archer to kind of grow up and lighten up a little bit.”

There are rumors that Bakula’s other well-known show, Quantum Leap, might be revived as a movie soon. According to Bakula, “I have spoken with Don [Bellisario] and he’s been approached by a producer to write a script and produce a Quantum Leap film. He’s intending to do that and has begun work on it. And my understanding is that Dean [Stockwell] and I may have a small cameo element to the movie. But it hasn’t been written yet. So we’ll see.”

If J.J. Abrams called Bakula and offered an Archer part in the next movie, would Bakula be interested? “Yes,” he said.

View the full article

Many of these remakes are garbage. Bad enough that Star Trek was bastardized in '09 with a 'reboot',but to remake Quantum Leap without Scott Bakula is just inexcusable. However, if Bakula were to reprise his original role then I am all for it. :clap:

There is still room for Bakula's character, even played by Bakula. I could see something like Bakula's character somehow returning to "normal time" but still involved with the experiment trying to determine what went wrong before and at the same time advising another "time jumper".

But about Bakula's comments about "These are the voyages..." it seems anyone connected with the series finale thought it stunk. The actors didn't like it, the director and producers didn't like it, the fans hated it, even the advertisers probably didn't like it. Why did they even film it?

And it isn't even a matter of being caught off guard by a sudden cancellation like TOS and the old BSG. They KNEW the series was going to end for over a year. They even got an additional year they weren't expecting. If that is the best they could come up with then the series deserved to die.

This ep is one case where I, as not that often a critic in trek, have to beg off to put my two cents in. Part of it as far as I look at it, is that the finale needed to also have a 'punch' like the other series did. In TNG, DS9, and Voyage the stakes were never higher. Now, don't get me wrong, Andorian fans, I like Shran..I love his 'trading debts' with Archer and their growing friendship, that no doubt was a very long one, but, I have often felt that something bigger was needed for the end than the rescue idea. It did speak to Jon's friendship with Shran, and loyalty, which was nice, but in sending our heroes off, the stakes neede to be for ''all the marbles''. Of course, I am in no way fond of Trip's 'condition' in this last show, either. Sigh..again, commmon ENT fan sentiment, and the Riker/Troi focus as acknowledged above leeched the thing to something that's gone down like cod liver oil in STE fans throats. It's just too bad that the series hasn't gotten the respect some other Treks have.

If you're challenging my credentials as a fan, Van Roy, I was watching TOS before your butt was in diapers, as far as that's concerned. You little comment was insulting. Just because I don't analyze every program, does NOT take away from my love of Trek, and I urge you to do well to remember that.FINE, I overpraised. Happy? No, season one wasn't perfect, I'm sure others were not, or a gift from the gods. I don't have all the eps on tape or whatever, and it's been years since I saw them. Anything else you want me to fess up to? I liked the bloody series, period. I love the characters. If you want to critique, critique. NOONE challenges my fandom. Clear?

Kudos to you for being older than me. On behalf of my entire generation I want to apologize for not being old enough to comprehend TOS during it's original run. Just remember that, while your butt was out of diapers before mine was, it will also be going back in them before mine will.

I am also a Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (both versions), and Highlander (movie and series) fan. That does NOT mean I have to accept The Star Wars Holiday Special, Highlander II, and Galactica 1980 as equal to the mainstream of their respective franchises. I am not being a disloyal fan for refusing to defend them.

I wasn't attacking anyone's fandom specifically, merely pointing out that anyone who followed their Pavlovian, Kool-Aid drinking, lack of critical thinking instincts regarding Trek, the type who would watch anything with Trek in the title like sheep, probably did a disservice to the franchise. They allowed the writers and producers to become complacent. These Are The Voyages is proof of that complacency. They didn't even try to do a good finale!

However, I hope you can accept that the way you chose to defend your fandom is an attack on mine.

Click for Spoiler:

It's just too bad that the series hasn't gotten the respect some other Treks have.

It didn't deserve the respect that some other Treks have.

Who is the bigger Trek fan? Someone who will give 5 stars to anything with Star Trek in the title? Or someone who is a bit more discerning?

If you're challenging my credentials as a fan, Van Roy, I was watching TOS before your butt was in diapers, as far as that's concerned. You little comment was insulting. Just because I don't analyze every program, does NOT take away from my love of Trek, and I urge you to do well to remember that.FINE, I overpraised. Happy? No, season one wasn't perfect, I'm sure others were not, or a gift from the gods. I don't have all the eps on tape or whatever, and it's been years since I saw them. Anything else you want me to fess up to? I liked the bloody series, period. I love the characters. If you want to critique, critique. NOONE challenges my fandom. Clear?

Kudos to you for being older than me. On behalf of my entire generation I want to apologize for not being old enough to comprehend TOS during it's original run. Just remember that, while your butt was out of diapers before mine was, it will also be going back in them before mine will.

I am also a Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (both versions), and Highlander (movie and series) fan. That does NOT mean I have to accept The Star Wars Holiday Special, Highlander II, and Galactica 1980 as equal to the mainstream of their respective franchises. I am not being a disloyal fan for refusing to defend them.

I wasn't attacking anyone's fandom specifically, merely pointing out that anyone who followed their Pavlovian, Kool-Aid drinking, lack of critical thinking instincts regarding Trek, the type who would watch anything with Trek in the title like sheep, probably did a disservice to the franchise. They allowed the writers and producers to become complacent. These Are The Voyages is proof of that complacency. They didn't even try to do a good finale!

However, I hope you can accept that the way you chose to defend your fandom is an attack on mine.

Voyager recruit, perhaps a bit thicker skin would help. Upon reflection I find I too overpraised ENT a bit, I was just so damn happy to have Trek continuing on that I was more forgiving of it's shortcomings.

The bashers aren't totally innocent though either, instead of only bitching on message boards they should have been doing their gripping to someone who could have made a difference. :clap:

Voyager recruit, perhaps a bit thicker skin would help. Upon reflection I find I too overpraised ENT a bit, I was just so damn happy to have Trek continuing on that I was more forgiving of it's shortcomings.

The bashers aren't totally innocent though either, instead of only bitching on message boards they should have been doing their gripping to someone who could have made a difference. :clap:

God?

Okay, I'll lay my cards on the table here. Van Roy, I'm sorry. I went too far, and i've thought about it over the day, and thought I would come back, and say so. I don't consider myself a mean, or smart-mouth type, but, sometimes I have bad days, and I took things further than were necessary. So, in that light, I hope you'll accept my apology. HOWEVER...it is, as your right to look at Enterprise-or any of the shows-with a cold eye, mine to be more forgiving, or accepting. I did admit that not all the shows, IOW, were gold, and, even being 'ticked' at the time, that the show had flaws, correct? But, that said, it does polarize one's feelings, when anyone might imply my fandom is in question because I have been more accepting around the whole. That doesn't mean I will watch any old tv that comes along in general. I was channel surfing, recently, and there is this digital local channel that shows movies and old tv shows...and I cringed when they ran this eighties-looking fantasy thing called ''Mystic Warriors'. Good grief..I mean, I can look at something and tell when it's a B or C grade film. I DO NOT watch just anything. As siad, no, I haven't seen the early seasons of Enterprise, or others in a long time. No, I can't adequately comment on them on a case-by-case basis. But I think you're being too harsh, in condemning any fans that don't place as much emphasis on coldly eyeing a series, and blaming them. Look, I didn't even have a computer until 2008. I wasn't part of the fan collective until recently. The only way to voice an opinion was write a letter to say, Communicator or etc, but, I never felt moved to do so while Enterprise or any other series was on, though I have had an occaision I can think of where I strongly disagreed with a producers decision-not that it would have mattered, or changed anything. I've read all kinds of theories or explanations as to why the series tanked..writing, preemption by sports in some markets, or out and out unavailability in others, the UPN network itself-which has to me had a number of series tank, right?....I will not be blamed for, however, the series going under. I do blame myself for not writing in in '04, but, not because I didn't air complaints, or accepted what I did get. I was one year contacted by the Nielsens, which suprised the heck out of me, and in answer to such a question, I told them Enterprise was my favorite series. At least in that I feel vindication. Peace, out.

Van Roy, BTW...I wish oftentimes I WEREN'T older, believe me...especially since, also, I have less chances to repair my screwups, which have been many. But I am at least(LOL) discerning enough to agree that GALACTICA 1980 just don't cut it. The Dr. Zee thing was pushing it way too far, for one thing... I love the original(Saw Richard and Herb in Vegas) and I can't comment fairly on the new one because I've only seen the two telefilm events NBC aired a few years ago(No cable) But, I saw a clip on youtube last weekend of NUBSG, and the effects are fantastic. I am sure the quality is there in the series. I was a HUGE SW fan when the originals came out, but, never got into the newer ones as much, but I thought ''Sith'' was good. I think we'd both be shoulder to shoulder against anyone who felt SW and ST can't coexist. Anyway, back to Scott and the interview, I guess.....