Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Best '70's Disaster movie

What was the best 1970's disaster movie?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best 1970's disaster movie?

• Earthquake
    • The Towering Inferno
    • The Poseidon Adventure
    • Airport
    • Airport 1975

In the 1970's there was a popular trend in Hollywood for making "disaster movies". Which one do you think was the best of the ones listed above?

I loved "The Poseidon Adventure", and for a while when I was pretty young I thought it was a true story :blink:

Earthquake. It simulated a real earthquake and made the whole theatre shake. It seemed very cool at the time.

Earthquake is on right now, and I think that Airport 1975 was on a few minutes ago. I've never seen any of them, but I do like disaster movies. Volcano was a good one.

Airport 1975 was what inspired this poll I watched the end of it while I was eating my chili :blink:

Volcano was pretty good but it wasn't in the 1970's so it's not really part of that "Genre" (IMO)

I've always thought Earthquake has the best effects of them all but I voted for The Poseidon Adventure. It's main character (the Preacher) and his anger at the Lord was something I never saw portrayed on screen before so I call it the better story.

I've always thought Earthquake has the best effects of them all but I voted for The Poseidon Adventure. It's main character (the Preacher) and his anger at the Lord was something I never saw portrayed on screen before so I call it the better story.

Agreed, it was a really good story. I always loved the way he led them through the bowels of the ship and how Shelly Winters had to save the day by swimming, as a kid I was always saddened when she died.

Meteor with Sean Connery!

:blink:

Sure,the meteor never collides with the Earth,but I recall being very drawn into the movie and nervewracked by the suspensefulness of it all,while watching it.The disaster potential was there.

As a second place film,I'd pick the Towering Inferno.Loved it.

Edited by Yellow_Dragon

Stardate:213808.9

Earthquake!!I love movie.Very well done.I have it on VHS

Dont' ban me but my first thought was "best seventies disaster movie" is an oxymoron. However, after I saw the list I did vote for poseidon adventure, now that I think of it there was a lot to that movie but it has been forever since I saw it. From what I remember Airplane was pretty good too - wasn't it the first disaster movie?

Now don't laugh but I've actually used the Poseidon Adventure as a sort of personal metaphor for life. Everyone needs to do their part for the group reach the goal - but we know not everyone will make it. We just have to hope and do our best. Does that make sense?

I voted for Earthquake. I loved the way the sound system in the theater simulated the rumbling and shaking of an earthquake every time a quake happened on screen! When I saw the movie way back when, I thought that was really cool! Only problem is, when I saw the movie a few years later on TV without the elaborate sound system, it just wasn't the same!!

Meteor with Sean Connery!

:laugh:

Sure,the meteor never collides with the Earth,but I recall being very drawn into the movie and nervewracked by the suspensefulness of it all,while watching it.The disaster potential was there.

As a second place film,I'd pick the Towering Inferno.Loved it.

Hrmm,was meteor a 70's flick?I dunno...uh,for some reason that feels like the early 80's.Could be wrong,I guess...I could be.Well,if it was a 70's movie,I'll pick it.Hrmm,otherwise I take the Poseidon Adventure.Hrmm.... :klingon:

I'll vote for the Towering Inferno.Airport is a close second,with Poseidon close on its heels.

Hey,how about Apocolypse Now?The Vietnam war was the biggest $#@! government sponsored disaster in the 20th century!