Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Shatner To Direct Documentary On His Life

William Shatner will be directing The Captains, a feature documentary to air in Canada in the winter of 2011.

The documentary will cover Shatner’s career beginning with his early days on the stage in Stratford, Ontario. His rise to fame as Star Trek’s Captain James T. Kirk will also be explored.

ShatnerStock.gif

Canadian pay TV channel Movie Central will partner with Melis Production and Ballinran Productions to produce the project. David Zappone and Craig Thompson will be executive producers. Production on The Captains begins in July.

Movie Central also has obtained the Canadian broadcast rights to William Shatner’s Gonzo Ballet, which features a ballet by Margo Sappington set to music from Shatner.

View the full article

All I can think of is his line from Futurama's 'Where No Fan Has Gone Before':

"And when I directed Star Trek five, I got a great performance out of me because I respect me so much."

The previous line being Nimoy's "When I directed Star Trek four, I got a great performance out of Bill because I respected him so much."

Great actor yeah but as we've all seen...he shouldn't be directing.....ANYTHING!...lol

Great actor yeah but as we've all seen...he shouldn't be directing.....ANYTHING!...lol

When you've achieved his accomplishments then you can dictate what the Shat can and cannot direct...until then he's got free reign to do as he pleases. :) :wub:

When you've achieved his accomplishments then you can dictate what the Shat can and cannot direct...until then he's got free reign to do as he pleases. :) :wub:

Oh make no mistake. I'm totally down with the Shat. He just can't direct worth a lick is all...lol

Oh make no mistake. I'm totally down with the Shat. He just can't direct worth a lick is all...lol

I thought he did a fair job with the TekWar series :wub:

I haven't seen the Tekwar series, though I read one. As far as Star Trek V goes, I'm with Kor: an awful job directing in my opinion. It also had me worried that the Star Trek movie series was over. Glad that it wasn't.

Star Trek V stunk big time, but it wasn't because of the acting or directing. It was simply badly written from the beginning.

I agree that the writing was awful. Shatner did however develop the initial storyline, and I certainly don't think the story was that great an idea. In something I read years ago, Shatner admitted that Nimoy told Shatner to shoot more shots than he thought he needed for scenes, but that Shatner did not follow that advice, creating at least some problems. The decision for budget reasons not to use ILM for visual effects was criticized by many and the effects received a lot of criticism. It may not have all been Shatner's fault but his egotism over insisting that he direct Star Trek V was not that helpful to the franchise imo. I do like Shatner as an actor and he has done many fine things for charity, but I just don't believe that he is as good a director as Nmoy or Meyer, or many other accomplished movie directors.

Not just that but Shatner tried to use humor the way Nimoy did in IV. It didn't work. What made the humor good in IV was the situation the characters were in, not the characters themselves per se. Nimoy went for character-driven comedy and it didn't work.