Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Apple iPad

Has anyone gotten an iPad? I was in Best Buy about an hour ago and played with one that they had on display, pretty cool little gadget. It was heavier than I had expected, not that it was heavy just heavier than I expected.

It doesn't have a camera and it doesn't have a usb input so I'd probably want to wait for their next generation before getting one but I was thinking about the possibility of getting one to use in my classes for taking notes.

A friend of mine just bought one the other day. I'll see how she likes it and report back.

I'm not a big fan of Apple products but if you need it for a computing class I would suggest getting an actual computer. From what I heard from iPad users they are not too happy with it. Fine for games but not much else. No Flash support so you don't even get the full web. Basically it is a larger version of the iPhone except it can't make phone calls or take pictures. Plus it runs on AT&T's network which has had capacity issues since the iPhone came out.

Plus just the name - iPad. It sounds like a hi-tech feminine product!

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

I don't really 'need' it, if I got one it would be a 'toy' that I'd use at school. I've actually been looking at the Archos 9 also though and so far I haven't really read any outstanding reviews of any of these tablets. I've been pretty unimpressed to say the least.

The iPad that I played with did seem pretty 'cool' but coolness wears off after a few hours.

As for 'actual computers', I have that well covered lol. I have 3 PC's in my home network plus my 2 laptops.

I think that they look kind of cool, but I am not a fan of Apple, I find that their products are overpriced and not really worth the cost. I am looking into getting a PDF reader at some point for use with school since all of my text books are in PDF/ebook format. It would make it much easier to carry them around with me to study whenever and wherever I can find a few spare moments.

I think that they look kind of cool, but I am not a fan of Apple, I find that their products are overpriced and not really worth the cost. I am looking into getting a PDF reader at some point for use with school since all of my text books are in PDF/ebook format. It would make it much easier to carry them around with me to study whenever and wherever I can find a few spare moments.

Speaking of books, I was looking at what my books for the classes I'm planning on taking in the fall will cost last night. Nearly $1,000.00....

Ok, back on topic lol

My neighbor, Norm had me pick up an iPad for his daughter and before we ship it to her he wanted to see it in action.

I'm not overly impressed with it after playing around with it for a few hours. It's a "neat toy" but after a few minutes of holding it, it's 1.6 lbs starts to get heavy believe it or not.

If someone gave me one for free I'd take it but I wouldn't pay $500 or $600 for one.

I'm back to thinking about getting a tablet. I was initially looking at a smart phone but really don't think I'd use it for all bells and whistles to justify the cost and I dispise having to sign a new 1 year contract. Verizon already gets too much of my money with my phone, I don't want to have to pay the data plan too.

I'm currently comparing the iPad 2 with the Xoom. Right now, if I get one I'm leaning toward the Xoom.

Well, I broke down today and drove up to Best Buy and bought a Xoom, I figure I'll try it out and see how I like it. So far it's pretty cool but I've only had it for an hour. If I don't find it useful at all I at least have 14 days to return it.

Ok, after 10 days I took it back. Cool toy but I can't see paying $600 just to play "Angry Birds". Plus it crashed on me a few times and the back case was starting to come apart.

I may end up getting a small netbook if I get anything in the future. My 17" laptop is a little bulky for lugging around every day.