Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

A new DS9 convert

I told her I wouldn't gloat, so this isn't a "gloating post" but DS9er nation has a new citizen.

I've contended for years that DS9 is Star Trek at it's finest, the best Trek series of them all and also contains the best Trek episode of any episode in the form of season 6's "In the Pale Moonlight". Many TNG fans have disputed my claims of DS9's greatness in the past and one of those doubters was Mandy.

Well I challenged her years ago to withhold her final judgment until she had actually watched the entire series. Well last night, after learning that she's 5 seasons into DS9 for the first time I asked for her opinions and/or thoughts on the series.

I'll quote her reply: "Best of Trek".

So this isn't a gloating post, it's a "Welcome to the family" post. Welcome to Niner Nation Mandy. Shall we change your name to QuarkChick? Maybe NogChick?

Now I have the urge to pop in my DS9 DVDs and re-watch the series. Luckily my spring semester is over in about a week and I'll have almost a month off before the summer semester starts.

I only got to see a few due to the time it came on were I live. I really liked what I saw and would say that it could be the best. I am hopeing to some day buy it and watch the whole thing. It however would be hard to picture Mandy as QuarkChick. :Hmmm...:

Nooooooooo! Does this mean she no longer likes TNG? *cries* *lol* Just kidding. Glad you managed to "create" another Niner! :Hmmm...: I tried re-watching the show recently, I bought the DVDs and all... but I still can't get into it, no matter how hard I try...

Nooooooooo! Does this mean she no longer likes TNG? *cries* *lol* Just kidding. Glad you managed to "create" another Niner! :Hmmm...: I tried re-watching the show recently, I bought the DVDs and all... but I still can't get into it, no matter how hard I try...

How far into the series do you get? The first 2 seasons can be a little slow going though there's some really good episodes in there.

It wasn't until the third season until it really started to come into it's own though and by the 4th season when Michael Dorn came onboard as Worf it really took off.

If you already know the characters and their personalities and you want to skip some seasons, you could probably skip the first 3 seasons and just watch the final 4 and really get a good feel for DS9 though. Season 3 had some great episodes in it though, so skipping it would be a mistake lol.

How far into the series do you get? The first 2 seasons can be a little slow going though there's some really good episodes in there.

It wasn't until the third season until it really started to come into it's own though and by the 4th season when Michael Dorn came onboard as Worf it really took off.

If you already know the characters and their personalities and you want to skip some seasons, you could probably skip the first 3 seasons and just watch the final 4 and really get a good feel for DS9 though. Season 3 had some great episodes in it though, so skipping it would be a mistake lol.

I watched the entire 7 seasons... season 7 I really did not care for at all because of Ezri (*ugh*). I did enjoy the first two seasons the most, actually (I know, I'm odd - I do love the first TNG seasons the most as well, I always get strange looks for that one - lol)... I'm just not a big fan of the Dominion War. I do see that it's all well done and all, but it's not my cup of tea. Too much war, too many ships being blown up. For someone like me who prefers the rather peaceful TNG universe, this really wasn't what I wanted to see somehow. I do acknowledge that DS9 is a good show, though. Just not my favorite. There were a few excellent episodes, though - most notably "The Visitor" (I tend to call it DS9's "The Inner Light" - it has a very similar amount of emotional impact somehow). I also liked the recurring guest stars - Gul Dukat comes to mind. What a great character! Never really cared that much for the actual crew, though. I liked Garak and Dukat and Weyoun much better... *is odd*

I watched the entire 7 seasons... season 7 I really did not care for at all because of Ezri (*ugh*). I did enjoy the first two seasons the most, actually (I know, I'm odd - I do love the first TNG seasons the most as well, I always get strange looks for that one - lol)... I'm just not a big fan of the Dominion War. I do see that it's all well done and all, but it's not my cup of tea. Too much war, too many ships being blown up. For someone like me who prefers the rather peaceful TNG universe, this really wasn't what I wanted to see somehow. I do acknowledge that DS9 is a good show, though. Just not my favorite. There were a few excellent episodes, though - most notably "The Visitor" (I tend to call it DS9's "The Inner Light" - it has a very similar amount of emotional impact somehow). I also liked the recurring guest stars - Gul Dukat comes to mind. What a great character! Never really cared that much for the actual crew, though. I liked Garak and Dukat and Weyoun much better... *is odd*

Yeah, I think it's the general consensus that the first couple of seasons of TNG weren't the best of the series. I still enjoy them though. Same with DS9 and Voyager too.

When watching the entire series (DS9) I really like the way they kind of tie everything together. It's like they started painting a mural and it took all 7 seasons to get the full mural in focus. There's points throughout the seasons that wind up being tied to future events very nicely. I believe some of it was on purpose but some just happened that way (according to Ira Behr).

"The Visitor" was an excellent episode, comparing it to "The Inner Light" is dead on. Very similar, yet also dissimilar at the same time. There's gems in each season.

You've gotta love Dukat, he goes from evil to friend and back to evil again, Damar has a similar character arc as well. Jeffery Combs has to be one of the best reoccurring actors in all of Trekdom, not only for Weyoun but for all of his characters. He was brilliant as Shran in Enterprise and I loved him as Brunt as well.

Garak has to be my favorite Cardassian, you're not quite sure if he's a villain or a hero but in the end you have to love him.

Poor Ezri, always misunderstood lol. I liked her, maybe it was because she's so cute though lol.

Welcome to the Niner Family Mandy. I knew that it would happen when you were able to sit down and really watch the show.

Welcome to the Niner Family Mandy. I knew that it would happen when you were able to sit down and really watch the show.

Not only a Niner, but a she likes the Ferengi episodes AND hates Kai Winn... :clap:

Not only a Niner, but a she likes the Ferengi episodes AND hates Kai Winn... :clap:

Well that makes her a true Niner. The Ferengi were one of my favorite parts of DS9 and don't even get me started about Kai Winn

That is definitely a reaction that I am looking forward to as well. That is still one of my favorite episodes because it shows that humanity was still not quite as "perfect" as we would like to believe.

Many polls that I have seen around the internet (including one we did here) proclaim it to be the best Trek episode ever made and I agree.

We won't post any spoilers here though, we don't want to ruin it for Mandy before she sees the episode... lol

Many polls that I have seen around the internet (including one we did here) proclaim it to be the best Trek episode ever made and I agree.

We won't post any spoilers here though, we don't want to ruin it for Mandy before she sees the episode... lol

Yeah, we will wait to see what she thinks so that we don't give anything away.

Yeah, we will wait to see what she thinks so that we don't give anything away.

Yeah, I know she's going to like it. She loved "Call to Arms"

Well, she didn't really like "In The Pale Moonlight", that's ok though because she's a Niner and that's all that matters.

She loves the Vic episodes which makes up for not liking "ITPM". She likes the Ferengi and Ferengi episodes, likes the Alternate Universe but thinks there's just too many AU episodes in DS9 and likes Ezri better than Jadzia.

Favorite episodes so far include (and she can correct me at some point if I get this wrong): "Far Beyond The Stars" #1, "The Visitor", #2, "His Way", "It's Only a Paper Moon" and "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang". Maybe some others added in there but those are the ones I remember so far, all great episodes.

All in all, with the exception of "ITPM" and "The Siege of AR-755" I agree with everything she's said about DS9.

I'm not a fan of "In The Pale Moonlight" either but I still consider DS9 the best Trek after TOS.

I'm not a fan of "In The Pale Moonlight" either but I still consider DS9 the best Trek after TOS.
In The Pale Moonlight is my all time favorite episode of all the series.

In The Pale Moonlight is my all time favorite episode of all the series.

Wow...you really love that one....lol. My all time favorite out of all the series is still "The Doomsday Machine"...TOS.

Yeah, I've seen every episode multiple times (all 700+ episodes) and that one was, to me, the most "powerful". I've read articles and seen polls over the years that have declared it the best Trek episode ever made. Of course I agree completely but also completely understand why others would disagree.

Of course that's not to diminish other great episodes like "The Inner Light", "Carbon Creek", "The Visitor" or "Far Beyond the Stars" (among others) but for me "ITPML" was just a great, great episode.

Well I would really like too see it but it will be awhile before I buy the series. Is it on the any site that a person could watch it?

Well I would really like too see it but it will be awhile before I buy the series. Is it on the any site that a person could watch it?

I guess I should jump in here lol. Yeah I'm a total Niner now. I'm not changing my name though. My love of Riker hasn't changed. My favs in order now are DS9, VOY, ENT, TNG, TOS.

I guess I should jump in here lol. Yeah I'm a total Niner now. I'm not changing my name though. My love of Riker hasn't changed. My favs in order now are DS9, VOY, ENT, TNG, TOS.
How'd you like Thomas Riker in the episode "Defiant", the one where he steals the Defiant and is part of the Maquis?

How'd you like Thomas Riker in the episode "Defiant", the one where he steals the Defiant and is part of the Maquis?

It was alright. Good episode but the whole transporter duplicate idea was pretty silly from the beginning.

It was alright. Good episode but the whole transporter duplicate idea was pretty silly from the beginning.

I actually tend to skip that episode unless I'm watching the entire series from start to finish. I knew though that once you watched all of the episodes that you'd see the greatness of DS9.

I wish more people would do the same, as with Enterprise. I really wish people had watched it while it was in it's first run. My oldest brother recently watched the whole series and really liked it. I think season 5 of Enterprise was going to be the best of the previous 4 with Shran becoming a member of the crew.

Had that happened I think they would have made it all 7 seasons.