Sign in to follow this  
trekz

Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking

Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking

LONDON (AFP) – Aliens may exist but mankind should avoid contact with them as the consequences could be devastating, British scientist Stephen Hawking warned Sunday.

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series, according to British media reports.

The programmes depict an imagined universe featuring alien life forms in huge spaceships on the hunt for resources after draining their own planet dry.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach," warned Hawking.

The doomsday scenario is suggested in the series "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking" on the Discovery Channel, which began airing in the United States on Sunday.

On the probability of alien life existing, he says: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

Glowing squid-like creatures, herds of herbivores that can hang onto a cliff face and bright yellow predators that kill their prey with stinging tails are among the creatures that stalk the scientist's fantastical cosmos.

Mankind has already made a number of attempts to contact extraterrestrial civilisations.

In 2008, American space agency NASA beamed the Beatles song "Across the Universe" into deep space to send a message of peace to any alien that happens to be in the region of Polaris -- also known as the North Star -- in 2439.

But the history of humanity's efforts to contact aliens stretches back some years.

The US probes Pioneer 10 and 11 were launched in 1972 and 1973 bearing plaques of a naked man and woman and symbols seeking to convey the positions of the Earth and the Sun.

Voyager 1 and 2, launched in 1977, each carry a gold-plated copper phonogram disk with recordings of sounds and images on Earth.

Took a quick look a (you tube) of Little Green Men. I Just have to get this Series, I can see now that we were visited.

lol Yeah, that was a great episode. Another one that is totally off the topic but you might find on YouTube is "Far Beyond the Stars". Awesome, awesome episode where you finally get to see all of the case out of makeup.

Took a quick look a (you tube) of Little Green Men. I Just have to get this Series, I can see now that we were visited.

lol Yeah, that was a great episode. Another one that is totally off the topic but you might find on YouTube is "Far Beyond the Stars". Awesome, awesome episode where you finally get to see all of the case out of makeup.

I never understood the appeal of this episode. It was great for the actors involved I suppose but did absolutely nothing to further the storyline or character development of DS9.

I never understood the appeal of this episode. It was great for the actors involved I suppose but did absolutely nothing to further the storyline or character development of DS9.
It did further a specific aspect of Siskos character development and added a twist that was used later (and wasn't used later).

The way that it furthered Siskos character development is that it shows him growing weary of the Dominion war and his role as the Emissary and if I recall correctly he was speaking with his father in his office about moving on. That's when the Prophets stepped in and began this vision that is this episode. Through that vision he gained a "renewed spirit" for what he was doing.

That's what I took away from it as far as it fitting in with the Dominion War arc anyway. Later in Season 7s opener they used Benny and his Sci-Fi writing vision again and it was even under consideration to end the series with Benny the Sci-Fi writer writing about DS9 and all of the characters that he created. I'm glad they didn't do that for the ending, but they did consider it.

All in all though, I think it was just an episode to get the cast out of their makeup and do a "just for fun" episode.