Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Survivor 20 - Ponderosa videos

As much as I like Survivor and as much as I enjoy re-watching some of the old seasons I'll be glad to see this season over. I'm tired of watching people who have played it 2 or even 3 times now. For most of them it's all about their camera time. I want to see people that have never slept outside a day in their lives or have never had to go hungry or whatever.

I don't want to see "professional reality TV stars" anymore, I want to see some amateurs.

As for Russell, there were times last season that I liked him but for the most part he's just clueless when it comes to actually winning the vote.

Anyone got any predictions on who you think will win Sunday? If so put it in a spoiler. Since I already know to within 99.99% who the winner is I won't put a prediction.

Well I wanted to watch this season just to see the look on Colby and Jerri's faces when they realised they were playing against each other again. They weren't exactly best friends in Outback. The producers kinda downplayed it however. Still it was funny to see Jerri the Villain in a black hat and Colby the Hero in a white hat the first day.

But I get what you're saying. All Stars, Fans vs Favorites, Heries vs Villains, etc. I hadn't seen the reunion seasons except this one but I can see how it can be too much. Rob and Amber pretty much made a career out of Survivor and The Amazing Race.

The only way I can see Russell having a chance at winning, and it is a fair chance if this happens, is if the final Tribal Council is between 3 people instead of 2 AND the jury doesn't learn this until it actually happens. Some people might vote for Russell for having carried them thus far and the others might divide their votes between the other two since they didn't have a chance to plan out their voting.

Over the past few years I've gone and downloaded each season and stored them on DVD, when I get bored and there's nothing else I feel like watching I'll pop a season in and re-watch it.

In the Outback Jerri had a HUGE crush on Colby, she wanted to hook up with him in the worst way. He wasn't having any part of it though ane eventually got rid of her. His negative comments about her all throughout that season are why Jerri hates his guts now, it's really funny to re-watch season 2 and listen to her talk about her sexual fantasies that involve Colby and know that he can't really stand her. Then to see how she totally turned against him in All Stars and now in this one just makes it even funnier.

Don't forget that in season 11 (Guatemala) they also brought back Stephanie and Bobby John. So you can add that to the list returning cast members.

For me, the thing I find most interesting about Survivor is having total strangers being thrown together like that and added to that the fact that they're having to live outside, rely on each other for food, water, firewood and whatever just makes it very compelling. I don't care about the little competitions really. It's the camp life aspects that I find most interesting.

Once a group of people have done it then that aspect is gone and once they all get to know each other outside of the game, which many of them do then the whole aspect of "strangers depending on strangers" is gone too. Just makes it less compelling.

There's also a lot of question about "rigging" to a degree. I've read that none of the other survivors were allowed to know anything about Russell and how his game played from last season. They weren't allowed to ask any questions or whatever and Russell of course wouldn't talk and give his game away. So it gave him a big advantage.

Of course "rigging" has been whispered about ever since the first season and Rudy. I don't really care though, if it's rigged it's rigged. I'm still entertained by it and don't really look at it any differently than I would a completely scripted show.

Proof of rigging would total kill it for me, I'd never watch another episode again.
I don't think they actually rig it, but I do think they probably manipulate things behind the scenes. Like if it's true that no one was allowed to know how Russell played in season 19 so that he'd be a "wild card" in this season, it would give him an unfair advantage in that no one would know anything about him and he would know all about them.

I do think they need to phase away from the hidden immunity idols though, there's too many of them and they're too easy to find now.

I read a little snippet that they plan on changing how they do the hidden immunities.

I loved how Sandra played the idol: "I'm tired of carrying this thing around in my bra." I guess there are some places even Russell won't search.

I'm not really sure why they had her on the villain tribe, she wasn't a villain in season 7 (Rupert's first season). That was the season that Johnny Fairplay and Burton thought they had it all wrapped up but Sandra just hung around and hung around until finally they all voted her the winner.

I haven't watched regularly since Africa so I don't know a lot of the history, but there are certain people like Jerri and Rob and Russell and Rupert and Colby that more or less became icons among occasional watchers. (Heck, even Corina knew who Elisabeth Filarski was and she would have been about 10 during that season.)

But yeah, some of the "villains" don't really act like bad people. Heck, Boston Rob was acting downright heroic the first half.

It's all a matter of editing anyway, Rupert could have easily been protrayed as a jerk in his previous 2 seasons and Boston Rob could have been everyone's hero in his. The shows are scripted, they're just scripted in their editing as opposed to in their filming. They take the footage and see what they have and write their stories from what they have.

As for Elisabeth, she's everybody's 'girl next door'. I'd rewatch season 2 just to watch her. All of these other "Survivors" seem to need the show to stay popular and in the spotlight, if she were to do the show again though it'd probably hurt her image.

Oh, if Elisabeth was the girl next door I'd be next door right now! (Sorry Corina.)

I remember the players from Outback on David Letterman, each one reading off a different Top 10 item. Jerri's item was something like "I'm not a bitch, that's just the editing." The next person's line was "It wasn't the editing." LOL

Reality TV is reality in that everything we see happening actually did happen. However, there is a lot of stuff that happens that we don't see, and we can't really be sure that everything we see happening happened in that order.

Well, now that the season is complete and we saw how Russell acted at the reunion I stick by my thought that he is the worst player ever. He has no understanding about how to win the game and told Jeff point blank that he didn't care about that aspect of the game.

Getting to the end is all well and fine, but you have to win the jury vote to win the game.

Sandra burning his hat was classic!

It was classic, and she didn't even know about him hiding the machette or dumping the water and burning the socks in Samoa! You could tell Probst was about to loose it with him in the reunion show.

If he had only stepped back from his self-appointed dictator role and let others make the decisions on who to vote off he might have received some votes. The lesson he should have learned from Samoa: DON'T PISS OFF THE JURY!

From what I've read he didn't know how Samoa turned out by the time this season started. He went into this season fully believing that he had won Samoa so he basically played the same game thinking that he'd win a second season back to back with the same strategy.

I think there was only 10 or so days between filming of the seasons, if you notice the ponderosa videos are at the same ponderosa as season 19 and all of that was destroyed by the tsunami last year.

Don't forget also, he was going to try to get Boston Rob's hat to hide also. That was around the second or third episode of the season.

I didn't see Samoa. Actually the only reason I got into this season was I wanted to see Jerri and Colby go at it again. (Of course I stayed for Sugar.) You might be right about the timing. Still, I wouldn't think they would let someone play again with only 10 days to recover.

And yes, I remember Boston Rob's hat.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

I didn't see Samoa. Actually the only reason I got into this season was I wanted to see Jerri and Colby go at it again. (Of course I stayed for Sugar.) You might be right about the timing. Still, I wouldn't think they would let someone play again with only 10 days to recover.

And yes, I remember Boston Rob's hat.

I just looked them up, filming dates for Season 19 were June 11, 2009 – July 19, 2009. Filming dates for Heroes vs. Villains was August 9, 2009 – September 16, 2009. So there were 21 days between filming sessions.

Just for reference sake:

Rupert's first season was Pearl Islands and filming was June 23, 2003 – July 31, 2003 then went back on All Stars November 3, 2003 – December 11, 2003.

Stephanie and Bobby John played in Palau from October 27, 2004 – December 4, 2004 then went back to Guatemala from June 22, 2005 – August 5, 2005.

Amanda and James played in China from June 25, 2007 – August 02, 2007 then went back to Micronesia from October 29, 2007– December 6, 2007.

I can't think of any others that played in multiple seasons back to back.