Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Board Changes

Due to some security issues, Invision will be upgrading the board at some point in the very near future. When that happens, the portal and any custom modifications will be lost until I can re-install them. Then, once I have more time I have to work on a new skin that will work with a whole new version of the board for yet another upgrade.

So there's going to be some things change over the next few months but they're necessary.

I thought this was a new skin. :Hmmm...:

It is, to an extent. It's actually about 2 years old now.

The problem is a security issue and requires the board upgrade. Invision just upgraded us 1 step but a larger upgrade will be needed by July or so. It's very annoying to have to do this but I guess it's necessary. Hopefully this skin will just need a few tweaks to make it work with the new software though because I'm not going to pay someone $300 again to make a whole new skin. I'm just going to try to make this one work and tweak it till it does. It's just time consuming.

Yeah, I know. I've worked with skins before. It's very tedious.

When you view topics now, are the posts all showing up as normal or do you only see the first post with all other posts listed as links under the topic as shown below?

I do not see anything like that, the topics seem the same as before. When I first log on the site goes straight to forums, that I scroll down to active topics to see what is happening.

I'm still working on getting the portal back but there's still a few issues that I have to take up with Invision before I can do that.

The original problem that casued all of this was that I had discovered that the board had been hijacked to an extent through a security hole in the software.

Somehow, someone was able to get all of our search engine traffic redirected to an advertising site. I don't know how long that had been going on but I'd venture to guess since around December or January.

That was one of the causes for the slowdown in activity, not the only one but one of them.

Considering how busy you are now with school and everything else, this is something you do not need. We appriciate all your hard work and this site.

The portal's back!! :Hmmm...:

Yeah when Invision upgraded the board they mistakenly used encrypted files, which is what they do for free versions of the software. Since I paid for a lifetime license of the software for the board we're entitled to an unencrypted version. The encrypted versions can't be modified, so I wasn't able to add the portal back until they fixed their boo boo lol.

Yeah, just in time for Corina's new pics!

They are very good pictures, the portal didn't affect them though. Maybe made them easier to find though.

Not to change the subject or anything (:Hmmm...:), but what's going on with the two links at the upper left of the board? The one farthest left leads to the current portal, but the other one takes you somewhere else. Is this something permanent?

Not to change the subject or anything (:Hmmm...:), but what's going on with the two links at the upper left of the board? The one farthest left leads to the current portal, but the other one takes you somewhere else. Is this something permanent?

That's actually the Invision version of the portal. I turned it on when I thought the regular portal wouldn't work (before I discovered that Invision had upgraded us with encrypted files).

I just forgot to turn it off once I got the regular portal re-installed.