Sign in to follow this  
Jaz4stfguy

"Dreadnought"(sp?) Star Ships

If I'm correct, the "Dreadnought" class of star ship - is a vessel similar to the "Enterprise" but with a third engine nacelle between and above the other two. I have seen pictures of them, perhaps at the official Star Trek site. Just a curious thought I had while lying awake. Thanks for any information.

:flowers:

I came across an article at Wikipedia I believe it was a while back, in the ST section, ships....there was a mention of the U.S.S. Entente, and is referenced in radio chatter in ST:The Motion Picture, obviously during the sequence introing the Epsilon Nine outpost, with its listening/comm arrays....this name matching one of the same class listed in Franz Joseph's 'Star Trek Technical Manual'(1975, I believe, original publishing date). Granted, the book isn't canon, by usual standards....but it comes from a legendary early from-the series publication, which I, too, have. (LOTS of starship names in there!)It's the closest thing....

A dreadnought is something larger and more heavily armed than the standard cruiser. Number of nacelles has nothing to do with it.

I came across an article at Wikipedia I believe it was a while back, in the ST section, ships....there was a mention of the U.S.S. Entente, and is referenced in radio chatter in ST:The Motion Picture, obviously during the sequence introing the Epsilon Nine outpost, with its listening/comm arrays....this name matching one of the same class listed in Franz Joseph's 'Star Trek Technical Manual'(1975, I believe, original publishing date). Granted, the book isn't canon, by usual standards....but it comes from a legendary early from-the series publication, which I, too, have. (LOTS of starship names in there!)It's the closest thing....

Greetings Voyager Recruit!

Thanks for the info from Wikipedia and the tech manual. I'll check into them. I am fascinated by the variety of space vessels, and accompanying names, created during the ST era. I may choose to use one as a new avatar. But which one?? Decisions, decisions......... LOL!

A dreadnought is something larger and more heavily armed than the standard cruiser. Number of nacelles has nothing to do with it.

Hello Wishfire! Thanks for the reply. It does, however beg the question: is there a vessel with a third engine nacelle, and what is it called? :flowers:

The only three-nacelled ship we ever see, to my knowledge, is the modified future Ent-D in "All Good Things..."

USS_Enterprise-D_2395.jpg

But since it was just an altered version of a pre-existing ship (in a time-line whose existence is dubious, at best), I doubt it would be called anything other than "refit" or "variant."

Here's some stuff about starship design:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/design.htm

Apparently a third nacelle is a design no-no.

Also, in the Voyager episode "Inside Man," Barclay makes this comment when Troi invites him to a dinner with her and Riker: "I wouldn't want to be a third nacelle." To me, this implies that a third nacelle, like a fifth wheel, is quite unnecessary.

Edited by ensign_beedrill

Apparently a third nacelle is a design no-no.

Well, technically it's supposed to be just an odd number of nacelles, but that idea was apparently thrown out with this year's Star Trek in the form of the USS Kelvin.