Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Stargate Universe

I wasn't able to catch it last night when it premiered as I don't have cable. How was it?

I'm hoping that this show gets a lot better, right now it's Stargate Galactica. This newest incarnation of the Stargate franchise seems like Battlestar Galactica (the re-imagined soap opera not the real one) wearing a Stargate mask.

I'm hoping that this show gets a lot better, right now it's Stargate Galactica. This newest incarnation of the Stargate franchise seems like Battlestar Galactica (the re-imagined soap opera not the real one) wearing a Stargate mask.

A good summation - although I couldn't help think a bit of Dr. Smith and Lost in Space every time I looked at the Robert Carlyle character. One thing I noticed is none of the characters had any immediate appeal - I can't make the commitment to watch a series week to week if I don't like at least one character. But it very much had the dark, negative, depressing aura of the new and reimagined BSG but IMO not quite as artistic as BSG

And Daniel Jackson's "appearance" was a bit of a letdown. :flowers:

Hey, I don't have cable, either, but I watched it on Hulu.

That's exactly what I thought! I was really tired with BSG at the end, and if this is going to be another one, I'm not going to watch it. No matter how much I love Stargate. Theunicornhunter is right... none of the characters were very appealing. That one military guy (Scott, I think... see... I can't even remember their names) was pretty cute, but that's the only good thing I can say about any of it. And there was a sex scene that really seemed to be there just because they wanted it in there. Not cool.

It seems to be a totally different direction from the previous series. I'll watch it a few more times, but if it doesn't rope me in, I'll leave it alone.

By the way... where's the token alien? Maybe they'll pick one up on the next episode. :flowers:

I watched it online a couple of days ago. I didn't think it was too bad. It's definitely trying to ape Galactica but is nowhere near as good as Galactica. I'll probably check out the last part of the pilot when it goes online.

A good summation - although I couldn't help think a bit of Dr. Smith and Lost in Space every time I looked at the Robert Carlyle character. One thing I noticed is none of the characters had any immediate appeal - I can't make the commitment to watch a series week to week if I don't like at least one character. But it very much had the dark, negative, depressing aura of the new and reimagined BSG but IMO not quite as artistic as BSG

And Daniel Jackson's "appearance" was a bit of a letdown. :flowers:

Good points by both of you!

The person I watched it with commented on the puffiness of RDA's face (or nmaybe just too much of a close-up, Mr. De Mille!)

I did sort of like the geeky guy and the young Lt., but was disappointed in not very much from the Lou Diamond Phillips character, and the angry performance of Ming Na, who I really like. I love Stargate for it's humor and that needs to emerge more imo.

I'll keep watching for a while, but agree this has to get a lot better soon to make me a fan...

I did sort of like the geeky guy and the young Lt., but was disappointed in not very much from the Lou Diamond Phillips character.

He's recurring so I don't think he'll be seen too often. Phillips was actually otherwise engaged during most of the filming of the series that has gone on so far. I imagine he'll end up heading up a Pathfinder-type project designed to bring the people aboard Destiny home.

Now that I have seen the 3rd episode (4th if you count the premiere as 2 episodes) I see improvement in the show and it is showing potential. It still needs to get further from it's Battlestar Galactica roots and go more toward Stargate in order to survive and truly be part of the Stargate franchise.

I think it just needs to be more original. While I like the show for the most part, it is really really derivative.

I'm still watching it and still apathetic. Though I am starting to remember some characters' names!

I really had quite enough of "the genius scientist with a god complex" with Baltar, though.