Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

What do you think of Romulans

I read... somewhere, I forgot where, that the Romulans are so xenophobic  because they had some awful experiences at their First Contact. They have a right to be like that. If the first new race you encountered betrayed you, then you would be afraid of all races too. I quite agree.

You are absolutely right, especially after we saw the Remans.

Imagine the effect, the first race they meet after being betrayed by their Vulcan cousins are violent, war-like Remans.

(This might also explain why the Remans are treated the way they are by the Romulans.)

Then the Klingons showed up, and were violent barbarians. <_<

Then the Earth/Romulan War. :)

Then a conflict with the militaristic Cardassians. :hug:

Then the Borg attack Romulan outposts. <_<

Then the Dominion War. :hug:

No wonder the Romulans are a bit pessimistic.

Edited by welfconfed

Too, too true. We really need to get people like TSonofvulcan in here to read these arguments... you have some really persuasive arguments and they are all based on Trek universe fact. It is no wonder that there are the power struggles and fear of each other that is often shown on Romulus. Their own kind threw then out once before; they can do it again. However, Trek generally only shows the bad side of life on Romulus. They do not show the happy families, the peaceful places on Romulus, the strong friendships. Why do they cast such a light on Romulans constantly?

The real reason is because of writing. If we see the "other" side of Romulans too often they become watered-down as an enemy the way Voyager did to the Borg. As long as they are kept mysterious they are a viable enemy to write about.

The real reason is because of writing.  If we see the "other" side of Romulans too often they become watered-down as an enemy the way Voyager did to the Borg.  As long as they are kept mysterious they are a viable enemy to write about.

While I agree with your point about the "watering-down" of the Borg, I think the Romulans are a bit different.

In their first ( I would also say their best) appearance in "Balance of Terror" we have a stronger reaction precisely because we see the other side.

What could have been just a space battle shoot'em up becomes, instead, an emotionally powerful story of tragic conflict. The Romulan Commander isn't just the 'mysterious menace', but an honorable man that deeply regrets what he has to do.

I believe that, by showing the Romulans only as 'the bad guys', we rob them of the complexity and nobility, that makes a great adversary.

Edited by welfconfed

To add to that, if the producers of Star Trek show their "nice" sides, it would actually add to the mystery, not take away from it. It adds dilema for the UFP, because they cannot ignore this "nice" side and go on battling them like whatever. And how much scarier is a multi-sided enemy? It is easy if they are outright bad, then bring in something good and it scares everyone. They wonder if it is a trick, if they are genuine, should they offer an alliance, should they blow them up? I actually think it would impriove the series.

I understand that the two times that Romulans were on TOS that they were quite different from those on TNG. Ronald D. Moore has been credited with bringing the richness of the Klingon culture to the screen and I read/heard that he "stole" many of the qualities of the TOS Romulans to give to the Klingons. We haven't see a lot of the Romulan culture but we have had glimpses into their pysche which showed a much different side to the sneaky, violent, power-hungry species that was shown often. TNG episodes like The Enemy, The Defector, Face of the Enemy, The Chase and Timescape showed us that different side. Unification Part 1 and 2 was our first chance to really see non-military Romulans.

What do you think of the Romulans?

I think that the Romulans are interesting. I liked that they replaced the Ferengi as they main villian on ST:TNG and who could deny that the War Bird is one of the coolest ship designs ever made? It kind of reminds me of something the Minbari would have built in Babylon-5.

Don't mind me, I'm just brushing the dust off of this topic.

The Romulans are easily my favorite Trek species. I only wish we could have learned more about them.

I know that the novels aren't technically considered part of the Star Trek canon, but this is still an interesting point. My Enemy, My Ally explains that Romulan honor has unique characteristics. Like, it's more personal and context defendant than something based on a rigid morality. I think that concept can still hold true with the canon sources. The Defector, anyone?

The Romulans are also my favorite villians as well. "My Enemy, My Ally" is a great book. I read it decades ago and still remember it!

Nice to have you back Q

You and your input were missed.

Hope this is a not to say hi.

But a return

The Romulans are also my favorite villians as well. "My Enemy, My Ally" is a great book. I read it decades ago and still remember it!

Admittedly, I'm only about halfway through it. Just started the other day. Well, I'm far enough along to know that Ael is my hero in so many ways. Yay for us short butt-kicking people!

I've always found the Romulans to be interesting. I don't think that they got as much exposure as they should have.

the romulans are very similar to the ancient romans but they have only their defects without their qualities, because they are selfish, egoist and interested onlt to a military conquest of the entire universe. I hate this people.

Dont forget, really all of what is seen is Military based. Sometimes in the military you have to be sneaky, underhanded, ruthless and play downright dirty to win.

I am quite passionate about Romulans (obsessive just sounds tacky! hehe) and though I wont go into it here fully, if it were not for one certain Romulan character that caught my attention back when I was 11 and going through hell, I likely wouldnt be here now. I currently have about 200 Romulan printouts all over the wall behind the bed (and they scare my husband...lol) and in another few weeks once Ren Faire season is over, I plan to get the Romulan hairstyle and have seriously considered getting my ears pointed.

They are honorable; to each other and family. Dont forget about mnhei'sahe and what that means to them. Respect and honor is highly valued among the Romulan people, but why would they want to give those things to the enemy? I wouldnt.

I love the romulans there sneaky distasteful and the the Tal shiar are the mortal enemies of my section 31 Whoops should have said that here