Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Space: 1999

Does anyone remember Space: 1999?

The underlying storyline of Space: 1999 centered on the plight of the inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha following a calamity on 13 September 1999. A huge nuclear waste dump on the far side of the Moon detonates in a massive thermonuclear explosion, initiated by the buildup of magnetic radiation which was released, causing a nuclear chain reaction. The force of the explosion causes the Moon to be sent hurtling out of Earth's orbit and into deep space at colossal speed, stranding the 311 crew members[5], in effect becoming the "spaceship" on which the protagonists travel, looking for a new home. During their interstellar journey, the Alphans encounter a vast array of alien civilizations, dystopian societies, and strange phenomena previously unseen by man.

The concept of traveling through space encountering aliens and strange worlds is similar to Star Trek and Lost In Space, although the production's visual aesthetics were heavily influenced by 2001: A Space Odyssey. In another nod to Kubrick's epic, the first series of Space: 1999 tended to explore mystical and metaphysical themes, although the revamped second series would centre on more "action-oriented" plots and dynamic character interaction.

Source: Wikipedia

I remember it well and it's predecessor U.F.O.

I do also. I watched it on an old B and W console tv set, while my parents watched Laurence Welk on Saturday nights....I enjoyed the series. I used to have a model of the Eagle, and an action figure of Cmdr. John Koenig. My best friend had this big Eagle playset, with miniature figures....I do still have 'The Making Of' paperback, and several novels, ''Moon Odyssey'', ''Astral Quest'', and one other...