Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek 2 (Into Darkness)

Well. We've had the first installment of the re-boot. The stage is set. Kirk is now Captain Kirk. He has taken a fast track to the Captaincy which the first Prime-Timeline Kirk got to in a surely longer period when you consider that Sulu and even Chevok were officers before the Kadet in this new alternate universe.: where mad Romulans full of revenge have gone back and killed ole George, obliterated the ever-superior Vulcans and generally tried to fry the Earth like the Cetacian Probe on steroids. What is next? Well, who knows is the honest answer. The Enterprise sets off in it's first 5 year mission and encounters Khan? The Borg? Through a worm hole and finds Voyager? What?

What would YOU like to see??

I'd like to see something with the Klingons just to see how they are in this new universe.

Well, we do know that it won't be called Star Trek 2. It will have a subtitle. Right now it's unofficially "Star Trek: Something Something".

I'd like to see something with the Klingons just to see how they are in this new universe.

Amen. Bring on the Klingons. Give us a mighty battle sequence and lots of dialogue--and singing--in Klingon (put Uhura to some good use). Hey...do you guys think they'll have the regular-looking Klingons, or will there be an augment virus issue in this 'verse as well?

Also--and please no one jump on me for this (I asked a simple question about this on another site and some dude gave me 'tude) :weird: --I want the writers, whether via story or interview, to explain the point of destroying Vulcan. That was a HUGE deal, and there's no way they can destroy Vulcan simply to satiate yet another Star Trek villain's whiny wrath--there should be at least some long-term point to it. I mean, destroy Bajor? Sure. Betazed? Possibly. Vulcan? No. They might as well have scorched Earth while they were at it!

I scoured the net looking for satisfying explanations, and I've yet to find one. Maybe I missed something? :P

I scoured the net looking for satisfying explanations, and I've yet to find one. Maybe I missed something? :P
The whole "Vulcans as an endangered race" adds an interesting layer both to the already different timeline and to Spock. Sort of like in Doctor Who with how the Doctor's home planet and race are destroyed.

Amen. Bring on the Klingons. Give us a mighty battle sequence and lots of dialogue--and singing--in Klingon (put Uhura to some good use). Hey...do you guys think they'll have the regular-looking Klingons, or will there be an augment virus issue in this 'verse as well?

Also--and please no one jump on me for this (I asked a simple question about this on another site and some dude gave me 'tude) :weird: --I want the writers, whether via story or interview, to explain the point of destroying Vulcan. That was a HUGE deal, and there's no way they can destroy Vulcan simply to satiate yet another Star Trek villain's whiny wrath--there should be at least some long-term point to it. I mean, destroy Bajor? Sure. Betazed? Possibly. Vulcan? No. They might as well have scorched Earth while they were at it!

the book Countdown, the official prequel to the movie, says that Nero destroyed Vulcan because Spock didn't stop Romulus from being blown up in the 24th century. Since it hurt Nero to see his home destroyed, he decides to do the same to Spock...destory Vulcan

Edited by Stephen of Borg

I'm not sure it's something I would have done-no, quite unlikely, had the story been something I had come up with as a fan-writer, but, in that vein, I have asked myself if I would continue with the other reality as set up-being Vulcan gone-and I would say, I probably would leave it as done..though I can see why many are bothered by this. Conceivably, Nero could have lost a home COLONY, rather than the Homeworld, had they so wished to set it up so, and had him yet out for revenge.....and still had no less a vengence in him....and they might have destroyed some other world, or one totally derived brand new...as was Veridian in 'Generations', but well.. I guess it'd have been less dramatic...then there's Amanda...shrug.....I will say, the 24th century 'whole galaxy being threatened ' concept perplexes me; I am no astrophysicist, but come, now...yes, a solar system, which would be enough-especially Romulus...anyway, some side thoughts here, if that's okay....

I scoured the net looking for satisfying explanations, and I've yet to find one. Maybe I missed something? :weird:
The whole "Vulcans as an endangered race" adds an interesting layer both to the already different timeline and to Spock. Sort of like in Doctor Who with how the Doctor's home planet and race are destroyed.

This is best explanation I've heard so far. Thanks. :P

I want to see Klingons. No forehead ridges. I was perfectly fine accepting the difference between TOS era Klingons and modern Klingons as advances in makeup, design, budget, whatever. I could easily pretend that, if they had had the capability back then, Klingons would have had ridges. I was fine with the Enterprise Klingons for this very reason and would have been fine with ridged Klingons in the new film. However... since they decided to explain it in Enterprise, Klingons in the new movies had better not have forehead ridges. I would be very mad!

No time travel, please, unless it's to correct everything that happened in the last movie.

I'd rather not see Khan. The Borg are intriguing, but they've been a little overdone, I think.

What about Q? That would be interesting... Q putting humanity on trial again or perhaps for the first time. There are many possibilites there. And who would they get to play Q?

I just thought of something funny. What if they met up with the Romulans from their time and the first glimpse they get of one is a Romulan played by the same actor who played Spock's father in the Nuverse? Lol.

Vulcan? No. They might as well have scorched Earth while they were at it!

Very yes. I don't care if they even offer an explanation. It will never be good enough. They destroyed Vulcan. Vulcan! There is no excuse that I could accept. And they destroyed Romulus, too! What the heck?

Nero could have lost a home COLONY, rather than the Homeworld, had they so wished to set it up so, and had him yet out for revenge.....and still had no less a vengence in him....

That is a great idea. That could save Romulus for our original universe. And if they had Nero nearly destroy Vulcan, it could have saved Vulcan, too. The writers really screwed that one up.

I don't mind Vulcan being destroyed since this is an alternate time line, and they needed something unique to set them apart from the prime universe. Vulcan was also destroyed to show just how much Nero wanted to hurt Spock, both of them. Nero lost his home world, so now, Spock lost his.

As for the new movie, I would like to either see the Klingons, or an original villain. As for character development, I think they should spend more time on Sulu or Chekov, or even Scotty, since the first movie dealt with Kirk, Spock, Uhura, and to an extent Scotty.

yep, I'll definitely be expecting more Scotty in the next film and his little friend (don't care for the friend that much, but whatever). I just hope that Scotty's little pal doesn't become the new Jar Jar Binks. By that, I mean an alien that serves no other purpose than to be annoying to fans

Edited by Stephen of Borg

More Scotty is a given since he is actually a member of the crew at this point. I'm really psyched about that because I absolutely love Simon Pegg.

As for Keenser, I really don't see him becoming a Jar Jar Binks type character. He barely speaks and is actually competent (he is a Starfleet officer after all).

If he's comparable to anything from Star Wars, it might be an Ewok and as Simon Pegg's character Tim Bisley in Spaced once said: "Yeah, but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!"

By that, I mean an alien that serves no other purpose than to be annoying to fans
See also: Snerkles (Robot Chicken). Edited by DrWho42

I think Captain Pike, or Admiral Pike as he was at the end of the movie, is going to play a big role in the new movie. Someone said that the "mind control beastie2 which the big bad Romulans put into his brian to control him could still be active. Although, who would be controlling him? Maybe there will be a few flash backs with George Kirk in them? Maybe the Brain Beings from The Cage will resurface?

The Tholians were quite mean in Enterprise...

If they don't correct the timeline by the end of the second one, they should show the effect on other ST species... I like the idea of taking them to Voyager's timeline too, or something like that.

Most of all, I like that SeeingEyeBorg is back. Missed ya!!

If they don't correct the timeline by the end of the second one, they should show the effect on other ST species... I like the idea of taking them to Voyager's timeline too, or something like that.
I see no reason why they need too. As far as the new Kirk and company are concerned, they are in the correct one (besides what the prime timeline Spock says otherwise). Eh, do you mean Year of Hell timeline or just the prime timeline's Delta Quadrant circa 2370-something?

I see no reason why they need too. As far as the new Kirk and company are concerned, they are in the correct one (besides what the prime timeline Spock says otherwise). Eh, do you mean Year of Hell timeline or just the prime timeline's Delta Quadrant circa 2370-something?

Whatever they want. At this point, it's practically a necessity that they have to correct the timeline. If they decide to make this a trilogy instead of just two movies, let's be creative and see just how far we can fun with this timeline. Maybe not involve the crews themselves of Voyager or DS9... but hey, it'd be a cool way to see Sisko get involved... he's recuperated after spending an indefinite amount of time with the Prophets, but he is needed for the sake of Bajor to help the Kirk and crew correct the timeline. I think that'd be pretty freakin' awesome to see.

There is no way that they will ever correct the timeline. They screwed it up in the first place so as not to be boxed in with all the canon stuff. They're not going back now.

I just had this realization the other day. In a deleted scene, the novelization, and the comic book adaptation, they mention that the Klingons had taken the Narada after the battle with the Kelvin. In the comic book, it's said that the person who lead the forces was Kor, so I was thinking what if he appears in the next movie? Not only that, but what if the Klingons are more aggressive now that they lost a force of 47 ships as mentioned by an intercepted subspace message by Uhura? It would make it more interesting to see 2258 era Klingon ships with weapons that their scientists were able to create from scans of the Narada.

It seems that an alternate timeline version of Khan may spring up, top rumour at the minute. However, i have read that the Klingons will probably be the lead villans. They did appear in a deleted scene of the new movie - torturing Nero. I note that the producers decided not to show them pre-Enterprise/TMP onwards- mode (with ridge) or inter-TOS era (without ridges) etc by having them wear 'ridged masks' which doesn't reveal what they look like underneath. I'd be happy with this style of Klingon. Kirk would have to really pi55 them off though as he usually did . . .

Bringing back Kahn, even if it is very well done, would be a very bad idea.

Look, after Nemesis and Enterprise it was a hard-fought battle to bring in new fans, and we aren't at the "Mission Accomplished" stage yet. People liked XI but are still skeptical about fiture instalments. Revisiting Kahn would just be too gimicky and would be interpreted as "Out of ideas already, huh?"

Whatever is going to happen, it is being written at the moment. They say that a sequal needs to be bigger and better than the first so it will be interesting to see what comes out of it. It could be big screen adventure or just a big version of a tv episode - i hope not ...

My first thought is that I do not want any sequel to this new rebooted Star Trek. If I want anything it is a new reboot, and this time a good one.

But, as they're going to milk this for as much money as they can we will get one, so I'll provide some thoughts.

It will be in 3D.

Klingons will feature. Klingons are the most recognizable Star Trek villains and they want things the average movie goers recognize as Star Trek.

Ship battles and action scenes in the last one were a mess. I hope they will slow down and clean up a little, or I don't want any ship battles at all.

It was not only Kirk who gets his position a lot quicker in the new timeline. I think everyone except Spock were raw cadets shoved into place probably a decade or so ahead of time. It remains to be seen if this will have any consequense whatosever in the next movie.

Please redesign the engine room.

Q is a big no no. He belongs to the TNG-VOY era. Same goes for the Borg.

If Uhura is going to be anything more than a romantique foil for Kirk and Spock they need to expand the role of a communications officer.

Khan? Maybe. I suspect there will be one villain to focus on. They killed off Eric Bana so perhaps Khan or someone new wil lstep in and take the place.

I fear the new movie will further cement Star Treks distachment from its origins and move towards generic sci-fi action adventure.

The new look of the Enterprise bridge and the uniforms and all is surprisingly sterile. Hope they can do it better in the new one.

Ship battles are part of what people expect a space-based sci-fi movie to be about. How can you have a space enemy without space battles?

Everyone did get their positions sooner than they would have otherwise, but Scotty was already an officer. We don't know for sure that Chekov and Sulu were cadets.

We never saw Uhura's promotion to Lt., much less an explanation on how a Cadet was able to intercept Klingon signals from Earth. She did have nice boobies though. Ahhh, boobies! I like boobies.

Uniforms are *supposed* to be sterile. They are not fashion statements. The original TOS uniforms and bridge layouts weren't exactly flashy either.

Everyone likes boobies! Guys like looking at them, feeling them, shoving our face in them, etc. and girls like having them.

About a week ago some old ladies were talking about boob jobs, not for themselves (at least I hope not) but why so many "young" (meaning under 55) women are getting them. I said "Because men like boobs and women like men. That's not hard to figure out." They said "Yeah, but..." and weren't sure what to say next.