Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Galactica 1980 is back!

5689_111013998770_50140308770_21111.jpg

One of the most controversial series in Sci Fi's history is back! Some fans love it, some fans hate it, but one thing's for certain, writer Marc Guggenheim is going to do Galactica 1980 the "right" way! Lives will be lost as the re-imagining of 1980 begins here and unlike anything you've seen before in a Galactica comic book!

Featuring artist Cezar (Zorro) Razek along with a fully painted cover from Lucio Parrillo.

Source: DYNAMITE

Nice cover. I was an original Galactica fan, as a teen.I still have my small collection of books, the Galactica, and Base Star models, etc. I have seen little of the new one, but it's not a big issue for me. I would probably watch all of it, I guess, had I cable, but all I've seen are two tv-movies, or mashed together eps, etc, on NBC about two or so years ago. I recall 1980, of course, and yes, it was not the predecessor, but, by today's standards, both could get criticism, though the basic characters were interesting, and had depth, and potential. Lorne Greene was great as Adama. I was not as much into the sequel series:it wasn't the same, without Apollo and co....but, heck, if it were on tv somewhere, I might watch some of it....

I liked the series enough to be interested in this comeback. I liked the kid from the original series grown up in Galactica 80. Didn't like Apollo dead and Starbuck lost in space

Here's the interview with writer Marc Guggenheim: Guggenheim Goes Back to 1980 With GALACTICA & Dynamite.

I don’t want to spoil too much, but for me, it wasn’t just interacting with the culture, but interacting with the culture as it existed in 1980. How does the world react to Galactica’s arrival in 1980, at the height of the Cold War?

Well, even a bad series, like this one, will still have life today with all the re-imagining and remakes being done. Perhaps they can actually it work this time, but I'm not going to hold my breath hoping. We have a saying in the recording industry, Garbage in, garbage out. In other words, you can't make that silk purse out of this sows ear. This series was truly bad.

I've read the first two issues and loved it. Amazing! I do not discourage anyone from buying an issue of Galactica 1980. Even if you hated the original version (as I'm sure most people have), you will enjoy this. It casts everything about the premise in a realistic light (it does away with the time-travel plot of "Galactica Discovers Earth" arc in favor of the rag-tag fleet being caught in the midst of the Cold War) and holds true to the original Battlestar Galactica without making any radical changes as Ronald D. Moore does (i.e. Dr. Zee is present but depicted less as a child prodigy and more Machiavellian).

Edited by DrWho42

Really about the only thing I remember from the series is Starbuck and his Cylon friend stranded on the planet... though I do seem to remember some stuff on Earth... I wonder if Netflix has this for instant viewing.

Actually the Cold War didn't really factor into Galactica 1980 that much, other than to say it was going on and the planet was not unified. Remember that Dr. Zee suggested bringing *all* of the world's technology up to the Galactica's level so we can assume Adama sent warriors to the Soviet Union as well.

Remember that Dr. Zee suggested bringing *all* of the world's technology up to the Galactica's level so we can assume Adama sent warriors to the Soviet Union as well.
It happens in this comic series.

Remember that Dr. Zee suggested bringing *all* of the world's technology up to the Galactica's level so we can assume Adama sent warriors to the Soviet Union as well.

I didn't read the comic series, but it would still make sense that Adama wouldn't take sides. He didn't take sides in Balance of Terra either. If anything he would try to improve upon the technology of the US and USSR in equal measure so as to not give one side dominance over the other.

I didn't read the comic series, but it would still make sense that Adama wouldn't take sides. He didn't take sides in Balance of Terra either. If anything he would try to improve upon the technology of the US and USSR in equal measure so as to not give one side dominance over the other.

Click for Spoiler:

Adama doesn't, but when the Galactica gets nuked: Dr. Zee (who is on the Rising Star and monitoring the situation) takes command of the fleet citing "cerebral law".
Edited by DrWho42

I still have to buy the Classic BSG t.v series including BSG 1980 + the remake starting with the 4 Hour mini-series and the 4 year t.v series on DVD.

(I didn't know that this was about a Comic Book version based on the 1980 t.v series).

So Say we All.

Edited by LoveMalePecs1