Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Next Two Star Treks MAY Be One Story

By Josh Tyler: 2009-07-25 15:11:16

Next Two Star Treks May Be One Movie

It looks like Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, writers of the first movie, are already knee-deep into plotting out the next Star Trek movie. io9 cornered them out at the party scene in San Diego last night, and got one, tiny tidbit out of them. The next two Star Trek movies may be all part of the same story.

They say nothing’s been decided yet, but at the last meeting “It was really about, hmmm. You know what, I'll give you a tidbit. [They said to us] 'We thought maybe you could do that as like 2 and 3.’” Creating one, multiple movie story arc worked brilliantly in the original Star Trek movies. Star Trek II – IV all follow one, linear story line in which Spock dies, is reborn, and then travels home to Earth with his friends. If that’s what they have in mind for Star Trek: The Next, I’m in.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Next-Two-St...ovie-14084.html

I'm in as well, as long as it's not a Khan story.

I think that's tricky territory to explore, given Two's huge popularity with fans....to me, I do tend to in some respects look at the Abrams universe as still, coinciding in many ways directly with the original; not everything need unfold differently than it did before-though it is fun, and creatively intriguing to explore some things-dependent on what one considers ' untouchable' or the opposite...I was just reading my new ish of ST Magazine today, and, if dated a bit news-wise, but not terribly so by now, Khan does seem to be, and in this or that net atricle with the writing team, a considerable interest...but it's early, yet. I read this am something about it perhaps the script being completed by December....? With a release date in 2011?...as said, quite as bit of the basic sets are now there, the key actors in place, etc...we'll see. But I would think the writers would want to consider leaning towards a more 'thought-philosophically-centered' film next time...with a good dose of action, and adventure, the mix that works in Trek....it will be expected, certainly by fans longer with the franchise, in many cases...

Ugh, no offense AE, but I hate when people mention Khan and how they don't want it to be a Khan movie... People don't seem to get that Chris Pine was making a joke that he wanted to yell "KHAANN!" Also, it doesn't seem like the right term for the next two treks would be one movie, it's more like it would be a story arc or sequel/trilogy.

As long as they don't go the route of The Matrix or Pirates of the Caribbean, it should be okay. I would prefer how Star Trek 2-4 and the Star Wars movies did it. Connect the stories, but don't do cliffhangers.

As for Khan, it is an intriguing possibility to say the least. He is still out there and the Enterprise could still theoretically encounter him. Having someone like Javier Bardem play him could be amazing. I'm open to it at this point, but something new would be just as good.

Thank you VR :)

Ugh, no offense AE, but I hate when people mention Khan and how they don't want it to be a Khan movie... People don't seem to get that Chris Pine was making a joke that he wanted to yell "KHAANN!" Also, it doesn't seem like the right term for the next two treks would be one movie, it's more like it would be a story arc or sequel/trilogy.

Pine said "KHAANN"? When, where? I never heard of that before. It had nothing to do with why I don't want Khan in the next film, I want NEW material. If they are just gonna rehash the old stuff in the Nuverse then I may lose interest.

As long as they don't go the route of The Matrix or Pirates of the Caribbean, it should be okay. I would prefer how Star Trek 2-4 and the Star Wars movies did it. Connect the stories, but don't do cliffhangers.

As for Khan, it is an intriguing possibility to say the least. He is still out there and the Enterprise could still theoretically encounter him. Having someone like Javier Bardem play him could be amazing. I'm open to it at this point, but something new would be just as good.

Agreed.

"Intriguing", how? Do you mean in terms of casting the role? If so, for me, that's not good enough reason to revisit the story. If not, I'd be interested in hearing what you think could make a Khan rehash work. Convince me.

AE, he didn't say it, but it was implied that he wanted to be able to yell it. Hence the whole point of him laughing in the interview and why they brought it up....

Oh, ok. Yeah, getting to say that line would be cool but I hope the writers have something new in the works for him to say.

Sounds interesting to me. I think they should be separate stories in themselves and no big cliffhangers, but if they sort of connect together, that would be neat.

You know what I would absolutely love? If they visited a planet that was a mirror of some period of Earth history like they used to. Remember there was the Roman planet and the gangster planet and the U.S. Constitution planet? I was so disappointed that Enterprise didn't do that (until they had the Western planet which was totally awesome).

"Intriguing", how? Do you mean in terms of casting the role? If so, for me, that's not good enough reason to revisit the story. If not, I'd be interested in hearing what you think could make a Khan rehash work. Convince me.

The casting does intrigue me, though I haven't seen Bardem in anything he is a good physical match and can play a good villain by all accounts. I get the impression giving him Khan would be almost like giving Heath Ledger the Joker.

I've read on other sites about the idea that this Kirk may become arrogant because of his rapid success and therefore needs someone to humble him (not my idea, but it does make sense). Khan seems like an ideal choice in that regard (a Klingon would work almost as well, perhaps one of Kang, Kor, or Koloth). There's also the simple fact that Khan is still out there and encountering him under different circumstances (and with a bigger budget) could be really interesting (it could also be not as good, I fully acknowledge that). To see how certain events we've already seen change going forward following Nero's incursion is just a really interesting idea and the encounter with Khan seems like a great place to start. The idea of revisiting Khan has enough merit that is deserves the attention it's getting.

AE, he didn't say it, but it was implied that he wanted to be able to yell it. Hence the whole point of him laughing in the interview and why they brought it up....

That is not the only instance of Khan being mentioned. The writers have discussed the possibility more than once:

Orci & Kurtzman: Chances Of Khan In Star Trek Sequel 50/50

Orci & Kurtzman Talk Star Trek Sequel (and the one after that too)

More Star Trek Sequel Talk From Orci & Kurtzman – Is There A Leading Candidate For New Khan?

So this has far more momentum than just Chris Pine making a joke reference.

Sounds interesting to me. I think they should be separate stories in themselves and no big cliffhangers, but if they sort of connect together, that would be neat.

You know what I would absolutely love? If they visited a planet that was a mirror of some period of Earth history like they used to. Remember there was the Roman planet and the gangster planet and the U.S. Constitution planet? I was so disappointed that Enterprise didn't do that (until they had the Western planet which was totally awesome).

YES! I love it. :) Downside, could a 'feature film' version be done to the same level of success as Star Trek, would there be hugh stakes in it?

The casting does intrigue me, though I haven't seen Bardem in anything he is a good physical match and can play a good villain by all accounts. I get the impression giving him Khan would be almost like giving Heath Ledger the Joker.

I've read on other sites about the idea that this Kirk may become arrogant because of his rapid success and therefore needs someone to humble him (not my idea, but it does make sense). Khan seems like an ideal choice in that regard (a Klingon would work almost as well, perhaps one of Kang, Kor, or Koloth). There's also the simple fact that Khan is still out there and encountering him under different circumstances (and with a bigger budget) could be really interesting (it could also be not as good, I fully acknowledge that). To see how certain events we've already seen change going forward following Nero's incursion is just a really interesting idea and the encounter with Khan seems like a great place to start. The idea of revisiting Khan has enough merit that is deserves the attention it's getting.

It does make sense, absolutely! But does it have to be Khan?

Another negative point about using Khan, assuming the timeline skips over the "Space Seed" story and goes straight to "Wrath" is so much potential for stories set early gets overlooked. Is it a good idea to set the first 2 films 18 years apart?

I'll finally go on record, for better or for worse, how I think/would like stories in the Nuverse should be handled; they should attempt to tell stories with stardates between known stardates in the Prime Universe. In this way they can reference known timeline events without actually rehashing them and at the same time tell new tales while keeping the potential for disaster at every turn, real.

It does make sense, absolutely! But does it have to be Khan?

Another negative point about using Khan, assuming the timeline skips over the "Space Seed" story and goes straight to "Wrath" is so much potential for stories set early gets overlooked. Is it a good idea to set the first 2 films 18 years apart?

No, it doesn't have to be Khan. Like I said it could be Klingons. But as Star Trek's greatest villain, Khan deserves some consideration.

I don't think they'd skip over Space Seed, that's be more likely to be the story they would adapt/re-imagine. I agree, no way they'd skip ahead 18 years. Maybe 1-3.