Sign in to follow this  
trekz

Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince

I'd like to hear reactions of others who have seen this movie.

I have read all the books, and am disappointed at some of the things left out of this film.

But I'd like to hear others thoughts before I go into detail. So what did YOU think of the movie?

I was disappointed by the movie - it was nowhere close as good as the book and was more lacking than movie 5. Some things which are most likely crucial to both of the final films were left out which'll make #7 hard to make as good as it should be. I was actually rather bored while watching it, esp near the end - it just didn't grip me like it should.

The battle of the Astronomy tower? Nope. Tonks's abilities and patronus affected because of her love for Lupin? Nope. And I think more with Greyback should have been in. I haven't read book 6 in a while but skipping the Astronomy tower was stupid. Sure they managed to do it in a different way, but it wasn't nearly as a great a scene as it should have been which was disappointing. I'll probably get it on dvd for the collection but I won't really watch it. Out of all the movies, its number 6. Chamber of Secrets was the one I liked least before that.

We saw it a few days ago and I was satisfied enough with it, but to be honest, my daughter is the one who is the big Harry Potter fan and has read all the books numerous times and she was disappointed with it. I suspect it was because of some of the same things that Kerry mentioned, she mentioned in particular that there was supposed to be a huge battle at the end before

Click for Spoiler:

Dumbledore's death
complete with ogres and other lifeforms. None of which I missed because I haven't read the books. She also said that some of the things left out were crucial to the plot whereas in previous movies they have chosen to leave out more trivial things.

So I guess to someone who hasn't read the books, the movie is entertaining enough (although I considered sneaking out and seeing Star Trek again), but to the more serious Harry Potter fans this movie was somewhat lacking.

I agree with you both. For someone who hasn't read the books, the movie is certainly entertaining, with effective special effects, particularly in the cave, and strong performances, especially by Jim Broadbent, and the actors playing Draco, Luna, Dumbledore, Bellatrix, etc. But it was also confusing, including the lack of a complete explanation of the Half Blood Prince. The lack of the battle was annoying to me. I hear that the scene missing after the battle will be in the next movie.

Giving other actors the line of different characters seemed unnecesary and inventing poor dialog seemed a mistake. Less magic was shown and that's the strong suit of this series imo. Way too much romance imo, when the whole school and wizard world is threatened.

I don't hate the movie but I was disappointed.

Is it just me or did this movie drag on and on? I found myself mostly wishing for it to be over. I was really put out that they didn't have that whole battle. I wish they had emphasized trying to discover who the half-blood prince was a little more so that the revelation at the end would have been a little more shocking. There was no explanation of Remus/Tonks, they were just randomly together. Why bother at all? I agree that there was too much emphasis placed on the romance and hardly any at all placed on the magic or the very fact that they are in school. My favorite part of Harry Potter was always that they were in school and going to classes and stuff.

But the thing they left out that made me REEEAAALLLY angry was Snape's line. Harry called him a coward and Snape said nothing. He was supposed to say, "Don't call me a coward!" And to tell the truth, I was so looking forward to this movie mostly to see Alan Rickman deliver that line. What the heck guys, what the heck?

Edited by ensign_beedrill

Despite the fact that I was disappointed in the movie, because so much from the book was left out or changed, I don't want my comments to stop people from seeing the movie. Judge for yourself. I think I may either reread the book or listen to the audiotape, which I never have. If you never read the book, you may enjoy this movie. It is funny at times and has some great cinematography, some awesome special effects and strong acting performances. It's just not the truly magical move I was hoping to see.

I haven't read the book yet either. In all the other cases I read the book first then was disappointed with the movie so I thought I'd play it the other way around this time; see the film first, saving the best for last.

I really have no interest in seeing it if all it mainly focuses on is a love potion arc.

Now that I think about it I may skip reading the book as well, just go online and seek out the story's secrets and be done with this one.

Hopefully Deathly Hollows will then be a excellent finale.

I saw the movie all I am going to say it good well least to me it was good

I haven't read the book yet either. In all the other cases I read the book first then was disappointed with the movie so I thought I'd play it the other way around this time; see the film first, saving the best for last.

I really have no interest in seeing it if all it mainly focuses on is a love potion arc.

Now that I think about it I may skip reading the book as well, just go online and seek out the story's secrets and be done with this one.

Hopefully Deathly Hollows will then be a excellent finale.

That isn't the main focus and there's really only one bit about the love potion. It's mostly just character development: these kids are growing up. You might enjoy the movie if you haven't read the book, so you might just want to go see it.

Either way, if you like the series, you definitely should read the book. And read the seventh if you haven't. Just... if you want to end the series feeling satisfied... just... don't read the epilogue.