Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

40 Years ago today, Apollo 11 landed on the moon

ap11.jpg

Buzz Aldrin on the moon.

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the day when the Lunar Module named Eagle came to rest on the Sea Of Tranquility and 4 hours later Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin made their historic walk in the sun.

On July 20th 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to actually land on another 'world', open the hatch and step outside. Neil Armstrong was the first human to set foot on the moon, but Buzz Aldrin was actually the first person to speak from the moon. Those first words spoken while in contact with the moon were simple, un-historic and strictly meant for Neil Armstrong's use and for NASA as well. They were "Contact Light", which was to announce to Neil and NASA that the lunar module had touched the surface and signal Armstrong to shut the engine down.

capt.eb16db243c314d26a6bb27d8f1557742.apollo_astronauts_ohdk104.jpg

Buzz Aldrin on the left and Neil Armstrong on the right.

On the website We Choose the Moon the whole event is being re-casted... As of this post landing will be in 3 hours and 40 minutes. Personally, being born in 1986, I think I missed out. However, you can't change the past...

Edited by Capt_Picard

Does anyone here have any specific memories of the landing? I myself watched it, or at least my father always told me that he made sure I was pointed at the TV so that I'd see it anyway. I was only a little over 4 months old at the time.

A good friend of mine told me about how he saw it happen, he had been wounded in fighting in Vietnam by a granade and was in the hospital at China Beach and watched it on TV there.

Yeah, I remember it well. I was watching it on TV with my mother and when Neil Armstrong said that famous line, I remarked about how that phrase would go down in history. There was a great deal of excitement about the landing in our neighborhood and it was about all we talked about for awhile. While we have made great strides in space exploration, I wish we were farther along. I would really like the opportunity to walk on the moon or Mars, or even go into space, but unfortunately that isn't likely to happen in my lifetime.

Our family watched at home. We usually watched the launches and landings and broadcasts regularly. It was an amazing event.

I still am amazed today at the conspiracy theorists who don't believe it ever happend.

Yes, I was 'around' that day, and will always remember sitting there on the floor in front of our rather large black and white set, not that this would have helped with the actual live feed..grin...but so what? I WAS THERE TO SEE IT HAPPEN, like so many....and also was an avid Apollo follower over the years. I recall having this little model set, of the LM and Command modules, and mini-minis in the set of moon astronauts....I still have my copy of 'Footprints On The Moon'', by the AP, looking back at the space program's inceptions-from failures, and tradgedies, to the triumph of '11'...and that long-iconic closeup of Aldrin, I think it was....and several National Geographics detailing the subsequent missions. It's a thing of pride, to be able to say I was a part of that generation....as a kid.

Edited by Voyager recruit

I don't know that I watched the actual landing - my family didn't follow things like that - but I do have a vague memory of seeing the black and white images of an astronaut on the moon.

A side note about the conspiracy theorists - I saw part of an interview with The Mythbusters - apparent NASA was very helpful in letting them test some of those conspiracy theories. According to the MB's we did land on the moon. :superhappy:

Bit late but....

I wasn't born till long after the landing, but I did get to meet Buzz Aldrin, Micheal Collins and Alan Bean at a book signing on the 19th.

It. Was. Awesome.