Sign in to follow this  
Voyager recruit

Sequel to 'Star Trek' novelization

According to an article which may be linked to via a news brief on the main page of 'Trekcore' a few days ago, Alan Dean Foster is to pen a follow-up to his rendering of Young Kirk, Spock, and co.'s story, due I believe sometime next year. It's tentatively called ''Refugees'', and it has been speculated by fans-and seems 'logical'-that this may involve the Vulcans, post-film....looking forward to it! Foster among other things, says that it will have a greater emphasis on characters, and their development-but that there will yet be action in it, as well. The film certainly inspires me as a fan-writer, also....

I'm pretty sure that the movie will bring forth a whole new line of novels featuring this new reality.

An update re this topic: Just read at Trekmovie, that in fact, the first regular 'Newtrek' as I call it, or 'Abramstrek' if you prefer followup novel will NOT be about the Vulcans...but such a tale will follow in the third book, due later in 2010. Four in all are planned, and one involves 'World-building' with the new crew...anyway, that's the latest on that. LLAP!

I read that on TrekMovie too. Great news in my opinion, although I'm wondering how they will be written, i.e. who will their demographic be? Fans, non-fans or both? I know for the movie they were successful to attract both to the theatres, I'm just not so hopeful they will for the latter but then they're (the novels) usually the sort of "by fans, for fans" thing.

An example I have in mind is how the BBC basically shut down their line of classic Doctor Who novels in favor of novels reflecting the newer doctors for the New Series. The new line (from what I've heard from fans- at least for the first few novels) was more geared towards outsiders, detracted from making as many references to the old series and was simpler in prose. Thus not so well-received. By using this example, I'm not saying Pocket Books will make any drastic changes to their assortment of novels set in the Prime timeline (although I'd like them to amp up their numbers like they did before 2005) but providing a what could be with the new Star Trek novels.

from info i have via authors there should be 4 nutrek and 4 prime novels out in 2010

Yes, the novels for new fans might well be not a focus..but, perhaps, down the line, their interest might develop to the point where they may decide to explore them. But, there are always exceptions, and I wonder if folks who were into sf other than Trek might decide to delve into the books, if they were reading material in other genres? Just a casual thought.

It pretty closely follows the film, but, of course, not unlike novelizations of previous outings, or tv eps, it has expanded dialogue in places, and scenes that were cut, such as Spock's birth, and one with Youngest Jim, prior to his certain 'rebellious' act....and therein we get a glimpse of brother George Samuel Kirk, who, here, is taken as the lad walking down the highway when little bro blows by!...I was just re-reading through parts of the book, prompted by your query, Ensign B., and noted how, as said, in another and very important set of scenes-'The Meeting' between two 'generations' mid-point in the film, you have more dialogue not heard, presumably added by Foster, and it's fine of course to do so....''Sometimes the hand of Fate needs a hand itself' Spock Prime tells Young Jim. That was a good line. Also, for anyone who loves Jim Kirk, whatever his universe, McCoy sums his friend up, so essentially, and greatly, on pg. 196..I don't know I recall this from the film...but, it's a wonderful paragraph, that, first time I read it-and now as well-made me grin big. But, it's always good advice to say, if you care to,first, to get your own taste of what you may think about it, or any book, look it up at a local bookseller, thumb through, and decide for yourself....