Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Favorite Vacation spot

What's your favorite vacation spot? I don't often take vacations so I don't know that I'd have a 'favorite' spot but I'd be interested in hearing everyone elses and if you have some vacation pics that you'd like to share I'd like to see them as well.

So, where would you go if you could go on vacation tomorrow?

Of places we've gone to before: Magic Mountain. Sure it's not the most scenic spot but of all the places we've vacationed it offered the most to do and we had the best time as a family, at.

Of somewhere we've never been before: Florida with all it's theme parks. A side trip to see a launch at Canaveral would make that a perfect vacation for us.

Without a doubt, Cancun is my favorite place for vacation. Absolutely gorgeous and they treat you like royalty there.

A quiet cabin in the middle of nowhere with a stack of good books.

For a trip to nature, either the Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks or Banff, Yoho and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies. Beautiful scenery, hiking, relaxing, and plenty of wildlife possibilities.

For an urban vacation I love London. Full of history, theater, pubs and restaurants.

For somewhere I've never been, Australia or New Zealand.

I haven't really been a repeat visitor anywhere. Anywhere I can go skiing is a good bet. I loved Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.

Oh yeah! I was there around 72. We, (father, [in Army] his girlfriend Lilo and I) vacationed there and it was very memorable. The trip up the Zugspitze and hike to the Austrian border were one of the highlights of my time in Germany.

Perhaps you recognize this place...

Click for Spoiler:

vaction.JPG

Cheers!

For myself, I've actually only gone on 'vacation' a few times. Once being last year when I went to Las Vegas with Mandy and the only other 2 times that I can think of were to Florida (once in 74 to New Port Richey and once in 1997 to Orlando). I did go through Memphis on my way to Virginia from Texas after I got out of the Army but I was only there for the day and wouldn't count that as a vacation.

Both times in Florida I wound up in Orlando and I'm planning on going back at some point, so I'm going to pick that for now. All other 'vacations' that I've taken from work have been stay at home and sleep vacations.

I was there in 2000, I think. My dad was in the Army, too, and we went on a ski trip with another family. We spent a week there and all we did all day was ski. It was pretty awesome.

Not that I can remember... I did have a birthday at a place there, but I think the name had "Frau" in it. Is that you guys in the picture?

All other 'vacations' that I've taken from work have been stay at home and sleep vacations.

Sounds like fun to me! Which brings up the point... what would you consider a real vacation? How long do you have to spend and what do you have to do for it to be a vacation? Is visiting your family over the weekend a vacation? I did that just two weeks ago. But the last time I went on a vacation, I think, was a few years ago when I visited New York City. However, in April I drove up to Kansas to watch couple of Aggie baseball games. I don't consider it a vacation, would you?

I was there in 2000, I think. My dad was in the Army, too, and we went on a ski trip with another family. We spent a week there and all we did all day was ski. It was pretty awesome.

Not that I can remember... I did have a birthday at a place there, but I think the name had "Frau" in it. Is that you guys in the picture?

All other 'vacations' that I've taken from work have been stay at home and sleep vacations.

Sounds like fun to me! Which brings up the point... what would you consider a real vacation? How long do you have to spend and what do you have to do for it to be a vacation? Is visiting your family over the weekend a vacation? I did that just two weeks ago. But the last time I went on a vacation, I think, was a few years ago when I visited New York City. However, in April I drove up to Kansas to watch couple of Aggie baseball games. I don't consider it a vacation, would you?

I wouldn't call visiting family a vacation, though I suppose it could be. I think the definition of a vacation is probably a little different for each person.

To me it would be going to a place that you've either never been or rarely go to for the purpose of recreation. Like going to Orlando, Fl for Disney World or going to Las Vegas for... well Las Vegas.

For me going to the Beach wouldn't really be a 'vacation' since I live 15 minutes away from the beach... unless the beach that I was going to was in Hawaii or Florida or California or something like that and even then I wouldn't go to the beach... after all I live 15 minutes away from the beach lol.

I'll be going to Maryland/Washington, D.C. in a couple weeks, for me that's not a vacation because that's where I grew up and where all (almost all) of my family is. For someone else though going to the D.C. area would be a vacation, for me it's just going home.

I guess the definition of "vacation" does vary - but for me visiting my brother is a vacation - they have a beautiful home - it's still rural enough so you can sit in the porch swing and not hear traffic or city sounds (plus I get my own room with cable) - I always feel refreshed when I get back and I think that is a good definition of vacation.

ONe thing I do miss is the Southern Utah Shakespeare festival - I did that a couple of times when I lived out West - it was great.

There's a few places I'd still like to see that I haven't been - like leaf season in New England or an archaeology tour of Central America but I live in the place where I'd most rather be.

VBG, you should add St. Augustine to your next visit - a lot of it is really touristy (ie the Fountain of Youth) but the old fort and a lot of the architecture is worth seeing.

Click for Spoiler:

post-16-1247620042_thumb.jpg

I travel alot but mainly around the UK and abit of Europe. So I would love to go somewhere alot further a field. I've alway want to visit America say to New York and Washington. Also heard good thing's about New Zealand and Canada. So one of those places.

VBG, you should add St. Augustine to your next visit - a lot of it is really touristy (ie the Fountain of Youth) but the old fort and a lot of the architecture is worth seeing.

Click for Spoiler:

IMG_0304.JPG

I haven't looked at a map of Florida for a while but is that near Lake Okeechobee or is it further north?

Click for Spoiler:

post-16-1247620042_thumb.jpg

I haven't looked at a map of Florida for a while but is that near Lake Okeechobee or is it further north?

It's in Northern Fla. - South of Jacksonville on the coast

st augustine

I had a great time in St. Augustine on a brief trip there. In addition to the old fort and the architechture, the old Ponce de Leon (now Flagler College) had a good interior tour featuring a lot of stained glass that was impressive. The Aligiator Farm, with every species of gator and croc, and some impressive nesting sites, and lighthouse were also cool. I'd recommend it.

Click for Spoiler:

IMG_0304.JPG

It's in Northern Fla. - South of Jacksonville on the coast

st augustine

For some reason I was thinking the 'Fountain of youth' was near Okeechobee. Anyway, I might just do that and visit. I'm hoping to get down to Florida within the next year or 2 depending on my school schedule (I'm going back to college this fall). If I do go then I'll probably drive down which means I'll be able to route my drive through there.

I was in St. Augustine years ago on my way to Orlando. A very beautiful place. I would reccomend it.

I've also been to St. Augustine about 5 years ago. I loved it there! I toured the fort. It was great :superhappy:

Just found out this week that I will be visiting Florida some time soon, probably within the month. I'm going to Universal Studios! It will be about the third time I've been, I love that place

I've also been to St. Augustine about 5 years ago. I loved it there! I toured the fort. It was great :superhappy:

Just found out this week that I will be visiting Florida some time soon, probably within the month. I'm going to Universal Studios! It will be about the third time I've been, I love that place

Universal is SOOOOO much better than Disney!...Enjoy!

For me, vacation has become more about the people I'm with.... my past several vacations have been me going places with the express purpose of meeting up with friends... more specifically, friends from Internet forums. Though the roadwork on I-80 did mar my trip to PA somewhat earlier this summer.

I'm thinking about a trip to Disney World sometime within the next year. Maybe around the time of the final shuttle launch. We'll see.

My fave spots are Vegas, Chicago, and Boston in that order. Of course if I am with a girl it would be Hawaii - not because I like the stuff in Hawaii necessarily but because girls like Hawaii and I would have a 99% chance of getting laid.

I've never been to Hawaii, my brother got married out there a couple years ago though. Honestly, the only thing I can think of that I'd want to see on Hawaii is the USS Arizona.

Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona monument is a must-see in Hawaii in my opinion.

I never got to any of the other islands besides Oahu, but if I ever go back I's like to see (1) Volcano National Park for the lava flows and volcanic features, (2) Na Pali Coast on Kauai for its coastline and for hiking, (3) go Whale watching, and (4) see some archaeological sites on the Big Island such as temples & petroglyphs. I've also heard that Waimea Canyon on Kaui is impressive for its unusual rock formations, canyons & hiking.