Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Michael Jackson Rushed To The Hospital and has died

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop star Michael Jackson has been rushed to a Los Angeles-area hospital by fire department paramedics, the Los Angeles Times reported on Thursday.

The newspaper said paramedics went to the singers home and found he was not breathing. They performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation at the scene before taking him to the UCLA Medical Center hospital.

No further details were immediately available.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/michael-jackson-...al-report/24333

someone on CNN compared him to John Lennon. This is about as big as the death of John Lennon. Like him or not, this guy is a legend. My first record I ever bought was Michael Jackson's BAD. I had all of the albums. This is a big loss to me. Like a childhood hero that has a died. The guy got me into music

I actually don't think John Lennon was that 'big' for it to be a good comparison. I believe Michael Jackson was a much bigger star than Lennon, the comparison that I've been hearing on Fox is with Elvis. I was never really a fan of Michael Jackson, I did like some of the Jackson Fives music in the 70s though.

It's always sad to see someone so young die.

Lennon was big for being in the biggest Rock band ever , just as Elvis is a legend for being the best solo artist. They were mainly saying that the last big legend that had died before Jackson was Lennon

Lennon was big for being in the biggest Rock band ever , just as Elvis is a legend for being the best solo artist. They were mainly saying that the last big legend that had died before Jackson was Lennon

Yeah, and had Lennon lived into the 90's or into current days then died it'd have been a much bigger story (not that it wasn't when it happened). The nature of the entertainment business today with MTV and the internet and so forth tend to make things like this a bigger story.

As you said though, like him (or his music) or now he was legendary and an icon in American music.

Farrah & Michael were part of my childhood. I have a Charlie's Angels scrapbook I made in the 70s and a Michael Jackson doll (in its packaging for safekeeping) dressed in the outfit from "Thriller."

This is a tough day.

Comparing John Lennon and Elvis to Michael Jackson in terms of who was the bigger star isn't a fair comparrison. The music environment was completely different. Michael Jackson had the Jackson 5ive but his rise to superstardom had a lot to do with MTV and a changing news media environment. These are things Elvis and Lennon didn't have in their times.

Would Lennon or Elvis have been as big if we had MTV (or music videos in general) in the 1940s and 1960s? Would Michale Jackson have been as big if you could only see him by attending a concert or watching a movie he was in? Who knows. If they were in different times they might have been bigger stars or not stars at all.

I was never a fan of Jackson. 50, however, is a bit young to die of a heart attack.

Comparing John Lennon and Elvis to Michael Jackson in terms of who was the bigger star isn't a fair comparrison. The music environment was completely different. Michael Jackson had the Jackson 5ive but his rise to superstardom had a lot to do with MTV and a changing news media environment. These are things Elvis and Lennon didn't have in their times.

Would Lennon or Elvis have been as big if we had MTV (or music videos in general) in the 1940s and 1960s? Would Michale Jackson have been as big if you could only see him by attending a concert or watching a movie he was in? Who knows. If they were in different times they might have been bigger stars or not stars at all.

I was never a fan of Jackson. 50, however, is a bit young to die of a heart attack.

I completely agree, it is unfair to make the comparison in terms of stardom or even record sales (though Elvis sold over 1 Billion worldwide). The best comparison might be in public reaction to the news of their deaths. I fully remember the day Elvis died and the reactions to it as well as Lennon and now Jackson. For me to make the comparison between the 3 events probably wouldn't be fair either though since I've been a big Elvis fan since my memory began and have never cared for either of the other 2 musically. That said though I was saddened by the news of both Lennon and Jackson. Both were very talented and gifted and altered music to one extent or another and you can't ignore their impact.

I would however point out that the dates that you mention don't really fit, Elvis was only 13 in 1949 so while he was singing in church he wasn't on the "music scene" quite yet. In one sense though Elvis was the pioneer of the "music video", he did 31 motion pictures that were basically 90 minute music videos and then 2 concert movies that were... well concert videos. Not quite "MTV" but you see what I'm saying.

Yes, 50 seems far too young for a heart attack though there are many people that age and younger that die of "heart attacks". The question seems to be coming up now as to whether or not polypharmacy might be a cause in this case.

it's setting in now for me that he has died. I was fine yesterday, but I actually got choked up a little when some of his music came on the radio. He was my Elvis. As VaBeachGuy said about Elvis, my earliest memories are of Michael Jackson. I remember watching him on TV and trying to do his dance moves. I would invite friends over to watch my Michael Jackson tapes. He was too cool in that white suit on Smooth Criminal.

Smooth Criminal

trivia: Sean Lennon (son of John) is the kid in the video/movie. I always wanted to do that lean :)

Edited by Stephen of Borg

Jackson's death is now being compared to Anna Nicole Smith's. Apparently, he was surrounded by enablers who kept feeding him drugs. He stopped breathing after getting a shot of Demerol. Very sad.

I heard that reported last night, too. Being a celebrity can put one in all types of complicated, and potentially 'taken-advantage-of'' situations, which, if the family's lawyer, who I hear purports this, is correct, then another case of use-and-abuse of a person...but everyone has to trust someone in their lives. Tricky part, is figuring out at times who one really should...

Went to Freebirds for lunch and I believe they were playing all Michael Jackson music. Freebirds. Always on top of stuff. And best darn burritos.

I, for one, won't be sorry to see him go. Yes he was the so called "King of pop" back in the 80's and early 90's. What everyone seems to forget is that he's been utterly insane the past 15 years or so, with sleeping in the same bed as children and being forced to settle out of court after one said Jackson molested him. He had bizarre interviews with the press, like when he shook his baby "Blanket" and had a blanket over its face. Then, he dangled the baby out of the window. Finally, he was pretty much chased out of the states to Dubai. Now when he's dead, everyone is glossing over his molesting, insane "Wacko Jacko" ways.

I would be the last person to refrain from saying that, if indeed true-and , I do believe them likely-the molestations are totally wrong, whomever does this. But, that said, to a point, speaking ill of the dead...no. As for the rest of his life, it may have been 'colorful'(odd, or worse by whomever's standards) but those issues are not relevant to his actions as relates to human mores, and decency. Maybe he was a 'weird person'...but then, how many of us have been 'labeled', and categorized in one way or another, I do wonder?

Edited by Voyager recruit

I haven't forgotten a thing, I mentioned how he died with so much scandal. Do I believe the lawsuits? No. I personally believe that people heard that he slept with kids in his bed (which is wrong)and decided to say he had sex with them to get money out of him. He had some mental problems, true, but I don't think he molested anyone. I've always been a fan of Michael and never jumped on the bandwagon of "let's hate Michael Jackson".

But by saying that there are "some controversies" and ending there, you're taking a one sided view on history of him. He was a talented singer in the 80's, but to ignore the recent past, you're making him seem like a God among mere mortals in singing. Don't you remember when basically no one would have him play and how concert after concert was canceled for one reason or another.

Trying to compare people's lives - as in who was the biggest - that's always going to be subjective - I don't know who had the biggest impact on music (I do know that Elvis' first tv appearance was censored because he swiveld too much) now look at what they do on stage. Unlike Jackson Elvis was also a sex symbol - I remember being a little kid listening to the older woman talk about Elvis.

As for Jackson, I remember he was once a cute little kid around the same time Donny Osmond was a cute little kid and then he got strange. Yeah, I see some hypocrisy in all of a sudden singing his praises when two weeks ago a kind word couldn't have been found. - We'll probably never know if he was really a criminal or just really odd. But once the hoopla dies down - people will be back to remembering the oddness. Mostly, I just feel sad for him

This is probably the only "Michael Jackson" music I ever owned - I think I had the 45

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

It's hard to set aside what children say when it comes to being abused, though it's always possible that the children were manipulated into saying the things that they said. I would like to believe that nothing happened but I can't say that I believe that nothing happened, nor can I say that I believe that something did happen. I just simply don't have any facts to go on.

It's one of those things that probably only the children and Jackson himself knew the truth. If it was true then I suppose that it's possible that some others within the house may have known as well, but it's not something I was involved in so I can only go on news reports. Like accusations of rape though I do believe that you have to come down on the side of the accuser until more information comes to light that might discredit him or her.

But by saying that there are "some controversies" and ending there, you're taking a one sided view on history of him.

No, by doing that, you're choosing to show a little respect and decorum for the man, and picking a better time to get into the muck.

I for one hope he's found some peace. I'm still a fan of his music. He was a mentally sick man, and I'm happy for him that his suffering is over.

But by saying that there are "some controversies" and ending there, you're taking a one sided view on history of him.

No, by doing that, you're choosing to show a little respect and decorum for the man, and picking a better time to get into the muck.

Or you're too locked into your hero worship to believe anything bad that he did.

I for one hope he's found some peace. I'm still a fan of his music. He was a mentally sick man, and I'm happy for him that his suffering is over.

When exactly is the right time to "get into the muck"?

Or you're too locked into your hero worship to believe anything bad that he did.

Hero worship? No. I like his music, but he's not a hero of mine. I believe he did what he was accused of. But I think getting into it right away is just in poor taste.

When exactly is the right time to "get into the muck"?

At the very least, wait until after the funeral.

I see YBHYR's point - if there is somene who is truly mourning Jackson's passing then launching attacks may be a bit insensitive. There have been a couple of celebrities that I've genuinely felt sad at their untimely death.

But in Jackson's case - if the allegations are true - no contribution to the music world would balance that out.

As time goes by, people will remember the music more than anything else. Author Lewis Carroll was accused of being a paedophile in his life, but do people remember or even know him for that? No, they just love Alice in Wonderland. The weird factor will disappear in time, but his music will always be around

Edited by Stephen of Borg