After trekking to the other side of the galaxy, with my mighty Q powers, I just had to come back to "this" side of the galaxy, thus that I could watch and then review this new Star Trek movie at StarTrekFans.net.

Let me be honest. Most of my prejudices were against it. I was skeptical from the first day I heard about the film's concept. This general prejudice was compounded by my thinking of all of the troubles that Enterprise had. I was also wondering if the producers that be were grasping at straws. Not to mention, the last movie, Nemesis, I thought was very disappointing.

All of these prejudices basically vanished after I (finally!) took the time to see the movie. True, my more conservative side of me has had to adjust to this "new" Trek universe. And, true, there are temporal technicalities (which only a long-time and hard-core fan would probably notice or take issue with) that I had some difficulties assimilating to. But, after seeing it and allowing it to absorb in my mind, I all-in-all loved it.

It is correct to say that Star Trek has an "ideal" that it must always attempt to live up to. Yet, it additionally needs to be able to "move" with new energy, new life, and new concepts through its ideal. It's this movie that can do this, and, I hope, is doing this. After Nemesis and after Enterprise, it needed a new and fresh direction. So despite this movie having a different "feel" from the other Trek movies and series, I think it is a welcome addition to the franchise that lives up to its basic ideal and moves it forward into new territory.

The Trek franchise might as well stay static, and die, if it cannot "move." Some fans, it seems, forget that the show is supposed to be entertainment. (Sometimes I have been guilty of forgetting this obvious fact. This has led me to overanalyze episodes and movies.) These fans, negatively, hold onto their own "ideal" and "image" of the franchise in a straightjacket sort of way. This "alternative" or "changed" time-line does not really vanish anything from a viewer's perceptive. So I am not sure that any one of us should get too worked up about that.

What were the "negatives"? Well, I think the negatives were not big at all. (So why focus on them?) Some of the action scenes might have been improbable, but that does not bug me. Pavel Chekov, sorry to say, was not the best. The crew looked too young to me, but I can live with it.

But, again, why focus on the possible negatives of an overall great movie? Or, even worse, why overanalyze it to find negatives for the sake of finding negatives? (Trust me: I know that some Trek fans are doing this.)

I cannot wait to have this movie on DVD!

It's great to see you on the board, I'm glad you enjoyed the new movie. I think most people agree that it was a fun movie and will go a long way toward putting Star Trek back into the minds of non-Trekkies. Hopefully it won't be a momentary thing though and it''' turn a few of those 'non-Trekkies' into full blown Trekkies.

Hello, VBG. As I said in PM, it is good to see you again. And it's great to stop-by the STF community to say "Hello."

Yes, let us indeed hope that this new movie won't just be a momentary push for the Trek franchise.

The good thing is, is that this movie has tremendous potential for multiple future movies, if it stays at this level of quality:

It had a great plot; it was exciting and involving for the audience; it had good characters --- and actors who as a whole filled the shoes of the original crew well; there was excellent character development; it had good action --- and was properly balanced, even with it being so "intense"; et cetera.

This new movie can definitely bring in a new, "next generation" of fans. To quote our Trekkie friend and former trivia host Mike: "Star Trek is back!" The prospect of future movies to come with this crew, in this time-line, is very exciting.

Well, I'm afraid that I'm one of those that some fans are a little annoyed with but I think they just aren't understanding me and my thoughts. I agree with everything you said above and really want the new series of movies to do very well.

Here in "our little world" of STF though, it's also a place to discuss the little details (in my view anyway). So in my review I addressed a few of those little nitpickey items that only longtime, hardcore Trek fans would spot and want to discuss. No matter how many times I proclaimed my liking of the movie though some were a little 'ticked off' thinking that I was 'bashing' the new movie. C'est la vie I guess lol. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what they do down the road.

Hey, don't get me wrong: I'm okay with discussing the little details! (Haha. I hosted trivia, remember?)

On the other hand, I think we should always put things into perspective.

I'm glad to hear you liked the movie too. :laugh: