Sign in to follow this  
jameron4eva

Cancelation of Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicals

Okay this has been festering for me since March 18 th, TSCC canceled! Ugh! what the hell is FOX thinking! this is the best show on that dying station. MAN! i can't beleave it, i wish that Cameron were real, just so she could kick exec ass! Sorry for my language, but i've been pissed of since that day, as John Connor says when seeing Marcus Wright in TERMINATOR SALVATION: "The devil's hands have been busy." Join me in the boycott of FOX,(that is unless it's a Star Trek show), and let FOX know our voices will not be silenced. They cancelled it for "DOLLHOUSE", * silence, anger building, bp extremely high!* what the hell is DOLLHOUSE about anyway, i fall asleep .005 seconds into the show, TSCC is,*sniffling* was the better show, it has a loyal fan base, but i guess, and agreeing with another post on the subject, that loyalty and betterness are completely non existent to FOX, they pulled this crap with Firefly, and Dark Angel too. Screw Fox, get that show of the air. :rantoff:

I've seen a couple episodes. I have to admit, as a Terminator fan I'm not too impressed. Fox is trying to take the story-telling method that worked with the new Battlestar Galactica - several small plots that are touched on in each episode rather than one major plot each episode - and apply it to the Terminator franchise, and it doesn't work. The reason is all the Terminator characters don't have the same depth they did in the movies and are rather two-dimensional. Galactica was a character-driven show that just happened to have a sci-fi setting and that's what drew in non sci-fi fans.

John Connor needs to stop being such a mama's boy and start acting like a Resistance leader Sarah Connor needs to think about her game plan - if she actually succeeds in preventing Judgement Day ahe also prevents John's conception. Better to accept Judgement Day as inevitable and work on setting up the future Resistance movement. There have been so many agents sent back by both sides that it no longer matters what happens in the future war - victory will be determined by what side can send the most and best agents to the present.

If I was John and that little cutie Cameron had to obey my orders... well, let's just say there are advantages to anatomically correct cyborgs.

Oh Wow. That really surprises me. :rantoff: I really did not expect that. i really wanted to watch it too. I never really got the chance to see it because I missed the first few episodes, but that's so sad. This show looked like it had good potential.. Oh well. :_;

Don't get me wrong, if it is a choice between watching TSCC or some other random show I would watch TSCC, but it suffers from the same thing that Highlander did. You have to think of each movie and series as its own independent canon that might be incompatible with other canons. That can be confusing to the casual observer.

There is one thing about the Terminator franchise I never understood: What makes John Connor so fraking special? Sure he lead / will lead the Resistance to ultimate victory, but if Connor wasn't in charge of the Resistance then someone else would be. Sure he knows about what will happen in the future, but only because of all the mucking around with time travel. At some iteration of the timeline Connor was conceived by Sarah and a non-time traveler, there was a nuclear war, Connor was one survivor among multiple survivors, Skynet was trusted to run the rest of humanity, it "decided our fate in a microsecond" as Reese put it in the first movie, the Resistance gradually formed with those military assets and volunteers not under Skynet control, Connor was promoted through the ranks, and was the commander when humanity won the war through more or less conventional means. Multiple people could have ended up leading the Resistance, it just happened to be Connor in the first iteration.

So what would have happened if the T-800 sent back in the first movie killed Sarah Connor in that bar with no protection from the Resistance? Probably the Terminator would have shut down or went into hiding with its mission complete (and unable to receive a new mission untol Skynet went online after the nuclear war) and humanity would have still won the war with a different leader. Maybe the T-800 would have turned itself in to Cyberdine to bring about Skynet a little sooner but even then it couldn't self-terminate to be used as research.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

To answer your question, Lt. Van Roy, the thing that makes John special is this. A) He know what the frack was going on, :rantoff: He knew how to attack the T-600,T-800, and most of the subseequent important models,a.k.a T-1000. And the final thing that says why he is so special is, he leads humanity to VICTORY!. Sure they had leaders, but they tryed to attack using old style millitary tacts, and in many fandoms, and eluded to through out the movies and series is, without John humanity would SURVIVE, but not Win and kick skynet's ass for good. And by the way that comment about Cameron, totaly agree with, she fine.

To answer your question, Lt. Van Roy, the thing that makes John special is this. A) He know what the frack was going on, :rantoff: He knew how to attack the T-600,T-800, and most of the subseequent important models,a.k.a T-1000. And the final thing that says why he is so special is, he leads humanity to VICTORY!. Sure they had leaders, but they tryed to attack using old style millitary tacts, and in many fandoms, and eluded to through out the movies and series is, without John humanity would SURVIVE, but not Win and kick skynet's ass for good. And by the way that comment about Cameron, totaly agree with, she fine.

That's my point. It was all the time travel that gave John the technical edge - maybe even helped him become the overall resistance leader over some other guy. At some point, however, humanity had defeated Skynet before the first Terminator was sent back. Remember what Reese said in T1: "Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Conner then would make no difference." That implies they still could take Connor out after the war was essentially won, and maybe it did that as well, but it knew that would not be enough. However, the *original* playing out of the war (which we only saw glimpses of in the first 3 movies) had humanity winning without the knowledge gained by the time travel stuff.

If Reese had never been sent back to protect Sarah, or if he had been sent back but failed to protect her, or had some sexual troubles that night with Sarah (He was a virgin after all.) then would the future John Connor in the original timeline fade away like Marty McFly's picture in the first Back to the Future? Who knows? If the first Terminator had not been sent back at all would Skynet ever have come into being? It is possible. We know that Cyberdine existed as a manufacturing company prior to the Terminator being sent back, although the movie doesn't say what they originally manufactured. Miles Dyson said Cyberdyne had already begun researching AI before they had the hand and the chip.(There is a real world CyberDyne Systems company in Dallas. It started in 1995 which, coincidentally, is when T2 takes place according to the script.) The year 2027 as the ending date of the war is not just a plucked-from-air date. 2027 is the year many AI researchers in the early '80s predicted (when T1 was being scripted) AI, in whatever form it will eventually exist in, would become self-aware. The creation of a Skynet-like entity could be as inevitable as Judgement Day.

It could also be that each time someone or something is sent back to the past (or in TSCC's occasional case the future) the original timeline still exists, but a new timeline is also created (much like the new Star Trek movie). If that is the case there could be multiple timelines, some with Skynet as the victor.

Or perhaps the cop Lance Henriksen plays in T1 is actually Bishop from Aliens and Alien 3 and was also a Terminator and we can expect the Predators to jump into the fray any day now. (Don't laugh, it is possible. Jamer Cameron directed T1, T2, and Aliens. Henriksen was one of Camron's first choices for the role Schwarzenneggar would eventually get. The rifles the Resistance used in T2 were the same used in Aliens.) Kyle Reese could also be Corporal Hicks from Aliens (same logic as above). Or maybe the war against the machines is actually the Butlerian Jihad from the Dune books. Or maybe all that has happened before will happen again and this is just a continuation of what happened on Kobol, the original Earth, and Caprica. Or maybe Skynet sent a Terminator to be California's Governor (It would certainly explain our budget mess.). Or maybe...

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Look at it this way a man is sent back, he has knowladge of His timeline, not the infinate others, so the info he has is one track. It is possible to say in one timeline, at the same time of the first movie, that Resse is not sent back, sarahs killed. Skynet has killed all of humanity by such and such a date. And go see the new movie, look at how every other resistance leader/member acts, they only want to survive, not truly beat skynet. By the way does anyone think that the company screwed the FANS, that was what i was trying to get at, but nice banter here.

If by "company screwed the fans" you mean ending TSCC all of a sudden with lots of open issues, then yes they did. They should have taken a few more episodes to close the loopholes and somehow tie it into the movies a bit better.

The franchise as a whole hasn't screwed the fans yet, but the potential is there. Rumor has it the next Terminator movie will have John Connor coming back in time to more-or-less present day, either before Judgement Day or shortly after, and organizing the Resistance. That would be a slap in the face of all the fans who have waited decades to see the war as it hapens in 2027 with armies of endoskeletons ahd HKs fighting humans with energy beam weapons at night or under a nuclear winter.

I think I saw most of the first episode, shortly after that the writers strike hit and no new shows were made. After that I basically forgot it existed. I also got into that show Life, I have no idea if it's still running or not.

I think I saw most of the first episode, shortly after that the writers strike hit and no new shows were made. After that I basically forgot it existed. I also got into that show Life, I have no idea if it's still running or not.
To briefly diverge, to VBG...sorry, bro...'Life' was cancelled, I hear. Too bad. I liked it, as well, and have seen a number of eps...I will say as to the main subject, Van Roy certainly has put out a lot of thoughtful analysis...in whatever case, I empathize with Jameron's being upset, at the cancelation of his other fave show. Sci-fi has had mixed success on TV....noteable exceptions such as a personal fave, '''X-Files,'' or BSG reimagined....oh, and this little franchise called, what was it....Star Trek...heh heh... Edited by Voyager recruit

I thought T: TSCC occurred in a separate timeline than the movies.

Anyway, it had a few good episodes but if the majority of future episodes were going to be as boring as many of S2 were then I ain't sorry to see it go.

Btw, the new movie isn't all that great either imo. It does manage to move the story closer to future events we all are waiting to see but it just ain't that well done. T3 was very weak compared to 1 & 2 but it was a better movie than T4 imo.

Terminator went against the grain by having a sequel that was better than the original. Even by today's standards 15 years later the effects in T2 were pretty advanced. It would have been very hard for anything after T2 to measure up.

There's a rumor floating around that Sci-Fi might be interested in picking the series up.

To the comment about timelines,( sorry haven't figured out how to quote yet), yes it is in a different timeline. There are three definate terminator timelines, T-1 through T-4(ALL MOVIES IN ORDER) T-1 TO T-2 SKIP THREE AND GO TO T-4, finally T-1 TO T-2 to TSCC Tthen into TERMINATOR SALVATION. And Alterego, the whole thing with T-3 being better than SALVATION, i don't agree with, to me it was more of trying to turn the franchise into one big joke, i mean sure it had good effects, but it didn't have that feel to it, it had no real moral question, it had no sold base, it feelt like the company said, "Okay, now lots just get this day over with." And AHHNOLD, did not feel and look like the T-800 we have all known to grow to like and , LOVE?. But in the end i think that SALVATION was a better thought out story, and a much better acted movie, especialy when John is arguing with GEN. Ashdown, man that guy was an idiot. Sorry for blasting you Alterego, but that's just how i feel about it, now if a channel ever pulls this with a star trek series, Especciasly if it's FOX, then i'll be downright royaly noe expresion for how angry i'd be. And to GUMMY, i hope so dude, but that may o0nly be possible if WARNER BROTHERS get of there butts.

Edited by jameron4eva

( sorry haven't figured out how to quote yet)

To quote an individual post just click the quote button p_quote.gif at the bottom right of the specific post that you wish to quote. That will take you to your text area with the post that you want to quote already filled in.

To quote multiple posts click the "Multi Quote" button at the bottom right of each of the posts that you wish to quote: p_mq_add.gif and it will change to this: p_mq_remove.gif.

Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Add Reply" button: t_reply.gif

You'll see that each of the posts that you clicked the multi quote button on will be part of your text area waiting for you to comment.