Well, I can certainly understand why the die hard Trekkies are royally P***ED at this film. After all, the panels looked NOTHING like the original (the laser buttons weren't even labeled right!), and the engines turned at totally the wrong RPM's that they should have by starfleet regulations, the corridors were 2.543 inches too wide, the warp bubble frequency for the quantum flux capacitor dilithium matrix regulator was set at 34.5232154, (NOT the 34.5232153 as established by CANON!) Chekov's russian dialect suggests that he's from the NORTHERN part of Russia, NOT the southern part, Spock's ears were .075 centimeters too tall and .782 degrees too narrow......

Well, now that all of THAT is out of the way, I have to say that this was one HECK OF A GREAT MOVIE!!!! I'd give this a 100 if I could (but as I understand it, 5 is the highest in these forums that can be given?) But I didn't go in with an open mind. Heck, I didn't go in with a closed mind either. I went in to be entertained, and to enjoy Star Trek. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn't go in looking for what was wrong with the film, nor what was right. As far as I'm concerned, Abrams could have completely thrown out the alternate timeline stuff all together, and it would have been a great film.

For the record, I am a loyal Star Trek fan. I don't consider myself a "Trekkie", because frankly, I don't walk around in public (or sleep in) my starfleet uniform. I do however own all the DVD's released of every show and movie. I even play Star Trek games on my PC, and will more than likely buy my first Online Game when StarTrek Online comes out. But do I care that "Canon" wasn't held up to the highest standards as someone who can recite actual stardates (up to the nearest hundreth) to events in the Trek universe? Nope, not at all, because I don't have time for stuff like that. I took William Shatner's advice when he guest starred on SNL and said "Get a life will you people! For cryin' out loud, it's just a TV show!" and moved out on my own.

Do I also care that some here might acuse me of NOT being a true fan? Nope, don't care either. Why? Because in the end, I still enjoy Star Trek, and thoroughly enjoyed this film. I hope Abrams spits out ten more like this for Star Trek, and pushes a SERIES out as well. I listened to an interview on the radio the other day from one of the past producers or writers or directors (whatever or whoever he was), and he said something that explains alot of the reason why this Star Trek film was a departure from what a Trekkie might be comfortable with (and believe it or not folks, it's NOT because of an alternate timeline.....that's science fiction ok, things like that don't happen in real life, so stay with me). He said that when he wrote for the shows on television, it became so hard with each episode to come up with new material, because there was always someone there with this huge database of information and material that made sure that nothing would "violate" the already established "Canon". That word, "Canon", that Trekkies so belovedly cherish, nourish, and keep ALIVE, was what was slowly KILLING Star Trek. But the absolute WORSE thing about Star Trek (up until this film), was ironically.....it's die hard fans. By taking THAT variable out of the equation, Abrams appealed to the rest of the population. If you have to P*** off a group of people who will be paying money to watch your work, P*** off the minority, which, as I said, are the die hard Trekkies, and make the film appealing to people not only like myself, but the general population who don't care that the captain's quarters were really on deck 7 and not on deck 9 like in the movie (oh the HORROR of such a BLATANT ERROR!).

Those of you who wept because you were so disapointed at this film, for God's SAKE, don't take life so seriously! I'm not trying to force my own opinion on you, but really, is it THAT important?! But if you can't get over it, and you decide to boycot and walk away away from Star Trek forever, then good for you, and good for the rest of us (as it turns out, you're in the minority, so sales really won't be dented that much...heck, people will probably get into Star Trek now, knowing that the geeky one's are no longer around to spoil it for everybody). You'll be happy I guess, and the rest of us will embrace Star Trek for what it SHOULD be, and not how it MUST be, without hearing from the purists who are upset that the "Handed down and written by God's own finger" of Canon has been "destroyed".

Mr. Abrams, an absolute great job. I plan on watching it at least one more time in the theaters, and can't wait for the Blue Ray when it comes out. Congratulations, and let's see more!

Chris

For the record, I am a loyal Star Trek fan. I don't consider myself a "Trekkie", because frankly, I don't walk around in public (or sleep in) my starfleet uniform.

But wouldn't the fact that you have a Starfleet uniform make you a Trekkie?

For the record, I am a loyal Star Trek fan. I don't consider myself a "Trekkie", because frankly, I don't walk around in public (or sleep in) my starfleet uniform.

But wouldn't the fact that you have a Starfleet uniform make you a Trekkie?

Well, I am a Trekkie, maybe even a "die-hard" Trekkie, and I don't even own a Starfleet uniform.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed your review, ChrisVon, and wholeheartedly agree with much of it. I really do think that you should consider yourself a "Trekkie" though, it really isn't a dirty word.