Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

When discussing Star Trek XI

I encourage everyone that sees the movie to write a review of the movie (using spoiler boxes of course). If you hated the movie then be totally open and honest in your opinions, if you loved it then again be totally open and honest. Don't hold anything back.

What I do ask though is that when discussing the movie in various threads, please keep it friendly and don't ridicule someone because they have a different opinion. If you hated it and someone else loved it, that's ok. Everyone has different opinions and different likes. We can discuss our different opinions without putting each other down and telling someone that they aren't a "real Trek fan" because they liked or disliked what they saw.

Let's openly discuss it without putting each other down please.

I loved this movie. I thought it was great how there was plenty of stuff in there for us fans, and it did not turn off anyone who was not a fan. I think that the movie did a great job of blending in the old with the new. I think that the casting was great, would have liked to see more of McCoy, but I get that this was the first movie and mostly about Kirk and Spock. I think that Chris Pine was good, and I like that he did not imitate Shatner because that would have been bad. Quinto as Spock, I also liked because he did not play a Vulcan like we have seen so many times. This is a more emotional Spock, I assume because he is younger and he is not in as much control of his emotions like the old Spock. He was still true to the character though. I think the rest of the cast was just as true to the original characters, and I like that they all had a part in the movie. I could understand how some fans may be upset with some of the changes that happen in the movie, but overall I believe that it stays true to what Star Trek was all about. I think we should all remember too that this movie was made because Star Trek fans are still around, and yeah its flashy and slick, but that goes for about 95% of the movies out there especially a Summer blockbuster movie. If you can't get over that this is a new cast with a flashy and slick new Enterprise then do not see this movie.

I think that the writers paid a lot of homages to the original Trek, and there was even an Enterprise (Captain Archer) reference which shows that they were really trying to please the fans, because they knew that they would be under a microscope. The only thing I could understand some people not digging about this movie is that Nero does not get much to do except be totally evil. There is a part where he explains his past to Pike, but its a short dialogue that is supposed to explain why Nero is so intent on getting revenge and committing horrible atrocities. So, Nero does not get much character development, but the movie is supposed to be more about the Enterprise crew coming together for the first time, and he just so happens to be the villian in the movie.