Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Why Can I Not Get Into Enterprise?

I just cannot get into Enterprise. I feel nothing for the characters; can appreciate but still not like the look of the series; fall asleep during some of the story lines. I dont know. I mean the stories are more realistic in that we have whole planets and so forth instead of small villages to visit. But I still cant grow to like Enterprise and I dont know what it is. Does anyone else have this problem? :wow:

Guest Ktrek

Well, to tell you the truth I am not as enthused about ENT either. I liked it at first but then it just kind of fizzled. I watch it every week hoping for that elusive "great" story which so far has not been forthcoming. I'm not ready to give up on it yet though. Berman has promised some radical changes. Let's just hope they are in the right direction! Trip is my favorite character on the show. I agree with TV Guide magazine in saying that they should kill Archer off in a blaze of glory to justify his future fame. Then promote Trip to captain. Bring on a new character. Perhaps an alien they meet along the way. The show has alot of potential I'm just not sure that all the right ingredients are in the mix yet. :wow:

Ktrek

I hear you Bakula Bird, ENT may not be everyones cup o tea but it sure is mine too! I love it's differences and I love the way it challenges my mind in ways other than previous Treks have, long live Enterprise! :wow:

I think it's just a matter of giving it time. Time to get to know the characters and feel comfortable with them. Even the mighty TNG took 3 seasons to really get into it's stride,but was easier to love as we'd gone so long without ST it was like manna from heaven. I really think until you get the calibre of writers that were on TNG nothing is really going to jump out at you,but on the whole i like Enterprise. Bring back Michael Piller for God's sake !!

It is indeed very understandable that people don't like Enterprise. But think of it this way, wouldn't it be damn boring if Star Trek just went on and on, there is a lot of changes in this series, and i sure like them..

One thing that really troubles me though..

On TNG Picard explains to the 3 frozen people from the 21st century that TV did not last longer then mid 21st.. Still Cap. Archer is watching waterpolo and so on, is that not TV or..? Just something that caught my attention..

Enterprise rules!

I like it a lot, I haven't seen an episode I didn't like yet. A lot of people didn't like DS9 when it came out either, TNG has somewhat the same problem with the diehard TOS fans too.

Give it another season and you'll begin to really get into it I predict.

i, too, have liked every episode.

and im sure that at the end of the series, archer will be one hell of a guy (whoops, can i say that here?) and he will live up to his future fame.

:) I use "heck". :)

Edited by Alterego

I think it's just a matter of giving it time. Time to get to know the characters and feel comfortable with them. Even the mighty TNG took 3 seasons to really get into it's stride

I always thought that the first three years of TNG were among the best of the show, with such episodes as:

Datalore

Too Short a Season (must be in my top ten of TNG)

Arsenal of Freedom

Skin of Evil

Conspiracy

Where Science Has Lease

A Matter of Honor

Measure of a Man

Contagion

The Royal

Q Who?

Peak Performance

Yesterdays Enterprise.

Many people consider these (among many others) to be classics and they were all in the first 3 years of the show. Anyway, who cares TNG always was great, except when they started using that boring musical score that can be heard in Descent.

I enjoy Enterprise very much! It seems to keep getting better with every episode.I find it to be just as good as TOS,TNG,DS9,and Voyager!

I agree that TNG's first couple of seasons had many great episodes but it wasn't until season 3 that the exploration of who these people were started in earnest. I have heard the first season described as "alien of the week" stuff. Season 2 was hampered by the writers' strike so a lot of TOS episode ideas that had been shelved were re-written for TNG.

I have been watching Enterprise a lot more of late and what I have seen I have really enjoyed. I'm glad new episodes are on again.

I agree that TNG's first couple of seasons had many great episodes but it wasn't until season 3 that the exploration of who these people were started in earnest.  I have heard the first season described as "alien of the week" stuff.  Season 2 was hampered by the writers' strike so a lot of TOS episode ideas that had been shelved were re-written for TNG. 

I have been watching Enterprise a lot more of late and what I have seen I have really enjoyed.  I'm glad new episodes are on again.

I suppose if you are looking for episodes that are largely devoted to characterisation, then I agree that you have to look at the latter seasons of TNG. However, I always liked that monster of the week feel that was so dominant in TOS, I do like the odd episode that's main focus is a particular character and their relationships with the others, but for me science fiction is more about sci-fi concept and adventure than soap opera style exploration of characters (which is why I am not a big fan of DS9).

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Enterprise. I thought me and my friends were the only ones. All my sister ever watches is Voyager (not that I'm complaining) but she is getting very obsessed. She goes on here all the time and spends all her time on the Voyager forums. I'm still glad she told me about this site.

With all this support, maybe Enterprise will live a long and healthy seven seasons. The ship graphics have improved a great deal. However, the concept of it being before TOS is a little disturbing, but it is still great. It reveals a lot about the pre-Federation days.

Sorry to be out of the main topic right now, but I haven't seen much of TNG, simply because its not on that often (or so I know of). I probably haven't seen half of the episodes. But I have seen some of the ones you are talking about and I agree. Long Live Enterprise.

I agree that TNG's first couple of seasons had many great episodes but it wasn't until season 3 that the exploration of who these people were started in earnest.  I have heard the first season described as "alien of the week" stuff.  Season 2 was hampered by the writers' strike so a lot of TOS episode ideas that had been shelved were re-written for TNG. 

I have been watching Enterprise a lot more of late and what I have seen I have really enjoyed.  I'm glad new episodes are on again.

I suppose if you are looking for episodes that are largely devoted to characterisation, then I agree that you have to look at the latter seasons of TNG. However, I always liked that monster of the week feel that was so dominant in TOS, I do like the odd episode that's main focus is a particular character and their relationships with the others, but for me science fiction is more about sci-fi concept and adventure than soap opera style exploration of characters (which is why I am not a big fan of DS9).

I mentioned in a previous post that TNG didn't get into it's stride until season 3 and you quite rightly pointed out that some of the best eps were in the first 3 seasons..agreed. I was however talking in terms of character development which i believe is very important. It's because i felt i KNEW the characters that i love TNG so much and why i KNOW DS9 WAS every bit as good, if somewhat darker. The use of character and story arcs in DS9 did nothing but enhance the trek universe imho.

I agree with you point that character development can be important to some degree, but my personal preference is to slip a bit in here and there between, what I call, real sci-fi episodes. I never really minded about the episodes devoted to characterisation and the personal development of them, but I found it was a bit too much in DS9. But then it is all down to personal taste.