Sign in to follow this  
headborg

Headborg's Star Trek XI- Review & Pro's & Con's

The main part that I dislike and suggest is antithetical to the past 40+ years of Star Trek is the part where old Spock just sort of shrugs off the destruction of Vulcan as if it's no big deal... "cest la vie".

The point where as a Federation ambassador he had a duty and responsibility to 'fix' things was at the end of the movie when he gets his future ship back and can then take action or at the very least TRY to fix things. You know... the "good of the many" and all that stuff? Having Spock just walk off into the sunset after such an event just isn't Star Trek.

Um, he didn't get the Jellyfish back. It crashed into the Narada and the red matter detonated. Actually, that right there is why he can't change anything even if he wanted to. The Narada was only defeated with red matter. Without that, every possible ship in the era that Spock currently finds himself in is vastly outmatched by the Narada. We don't know if he can create red matter with the current level of technology, but I'm willing to bet it would be difficult, even if it is possible. It could take a lot more time than Spock has.

The main part that I dislike and suggest is antithetical to the past 40+ years of Star Trek is the part where old Spock just sort of shrugs off the destruction of Vulcan as if it's no big deal... "cest la vie".

The point where as a Federation ambassador he had a duty and responsibility to 'fix' things was at the end of the movie when he gets his future ship back and can then take action or at the very least TRY to fix things. You know... the "good of the many" and all that stuff? Having Spock just walk off into the sunset after such an event just isn't Star Trek.

Um, he didn't get the Jellyfish back. It crashed into the Narada and the red matter detonated. Actually, that right there is why he can't change anything even if he wanted to. The Narada was only defeated with red matter. Without that, every possible ship in the era that Spock currently finds himself in is vastly outmatched by the Narada. We don't know if he can create red matter with the current level of technology, but I'm willing to bet it would be difficult, even if it is possible. It could take a lot more time than Spock has.

I had forgotten that the ship was destroyed, but none the less he could still time travel with the technology of the day in order to get back and correct what the writers screwed up.

I had forgotten that the ship was destroyed, but none the less he could still time travel with the technology of the day in order to get back and correct what the writers screwed up.

No he can't. The technology of the day cannot defeat the Narada. The most advanced Federation starship (presumably) would have been taken out with two shots or thereabouts (took one, couldn't take another).

No he can't. The technology of the day cannot defeat the Narada. The most advanced Federation starship (presumably) would have been taken out with two shots or thereabouts (took one, couldn't take another).

I didn't say anything about defeating the Narada.

How else do you propose preventing the perceived changes in the timeline? Spock Prime couldn't go forward, because he would traveling to the future of this timeline, a future with no Vulcan and thus the events that led the Narada and Spock Prime to travel back would not occur. And if he goes backwards to create another timeline similar to the prime one, he would have to defeat the Narada. There's no way around that.

He's stuck in the alternate timeline. He cannot change that.

How else do you propose preventing the perceived changes in the timeline? Spock Prime couldn't go forward, because he would traveling to the future of this timeline, a future with no Vulcan and thus the events that led the Narada and Spock Prime to travel back would not occur. And if he goes backwards to create another timeline similar to the prime one, he would have to defeat the Narada. There's no way around that.

He's stuck in the alternate timeline. He cannot change that.

There's any number of ways that it could be done, he could travel back far enough in time to kill Nero's great-great grandfather and thus no Nero. He could travel backward in time and use green matter to close the space-time rift that was created by the red matter. Or he could use blue matter to render the Narada's weapons inoperable thus allowing the destruction of the ship. After all why not come up with silly solutions to solve something caused by a silly invention of "red matter"?

Or he could time travel backward in time reversing what has happened then forward in time to a point before Nero goes back in time and prevent Romulus from being destroyed thereby preventing Nero from being thrown back in time to cause the damage that was done. Remember, throughout modern Trek it's always been said that time travel can't be fully understood and that there are actions and reactions that can't be predicted. Of course that's a way of keeping all possibilities open for the writers and in reality (in my opinion) time travel isn't possible. So good writers (not the jokers that we're stuck with at the present) can write good stories to fix what bad writers screwed up.

Besides, if the Federation was able to fend off the Borg there's no way you'll convince me that with the proper warning they couldn't fend off Nero. A large enough fleet of Federation ships (Vulcan, Human and Andorian) would indeed be able to defeat that one ship. It wasn't invincible.

The whole situation is the result of piss poor writing by writers that shouldn't have been employed to write a Star Trek movie and that's truly a shame. There was so much potential and with the way they wrote this movie they blew it.

Edited by VaBeachGuy

Capt. Janeway has the right idea. Don't start messing with time travel.

I do wish the writers would stop with the whole-- let's use the "change "time"" crutch to write movies..

All is still possible- if Star Trek writers merge the two concepts of time together-- both the linear concept & string theory. Sorta like Light( Both particle and wave properties- simultaneously co-existing).

I think they could have written us a Star Trek movie without the need for L. Nimoy or time travel.

But, what we got is what we got. We got to live with it.

How about the inside shots of the Enterprise? I actually liked the "wide open" industrial look myself for most of the interior scenes.. I especially like they fixed the hallways..( expecially getting rid of the Wood grain panels that was used at the ceiling( at intervals)... and I liked all the piping. though I doubt you could use water to cool anti-matter warp engines.. and kinda strange the NX-01 looks more "advanced" than this-- Hmmm, Enterprise Class???? NCC-1701. Pike did say it was their Newest Starship. ( Which this change is totally Sucky--) But without claiming that-- they'd have to use the old Previous story of a Enterprise undergoing a--REFIT... which would have worked for me.

The Bridge... Naa, I would have preferred a dressed up-date of the classic design, maybe minus the funky colors( forerunner to the Orange Marmalade countertops( circ 1970's) kitchens.

And where were the Mini-Skirts!!! Ya can't have a TOS Movie without explaining the mini-skirt (female) uniforms!

Capt. Janeway has the right idea. Don't start messing with time travel.

I do wish the writers would stop with the whole-- let's use the "change "time"" crutch to write movies..

All is still possible- if Star Trek writers merge the two concepts of time together-- both the linear concept & string theory. Sorta like Light( Both particle and wave properties- simultaneously co-existing).

I think they could have written us a Star Trek movie without the need for L. Nimoy or time travel.

But, what we got is what we got. We got to live with it.

How about the inside shots of the Enterprise? I actually liked the "wide open" industrial look myself for most of the interior scenes.. I especially like they fixed the hallways..( expecially getting rid of the Wood grain panels that was used at the ceiling( at intervals)... and I liked all the piping. though I doubt you could use water to cool anti-matter warp engines.. and kinda strange the NX-01 looks more "advanced" than this-- Hmmm, Enterprise Class???? NCC-1701. Pike did say it was their Newest Starship. ( Which this change is totally Sucky--) But without claiming that-- they'd have to use the old Previous story of a Enterprise undergoing a--REFIT... which would have worked for me.

The Bridge... Naa, I would have preferred a dressed up-date of the classic design, maybe minus the funky colors( forerunner to the Orange Marmalade countertops( circ 1970's) kitchens.

And where were the Mini-Skirts!!! Ya can't have a TOS Movie without explaining the mini-skirt (female) uniforms!

Personally I didn't like the new ship sets, it wasn't something that I'd "hate" the movie over but I just think it'd have been really cool to have the same set design from the real Star Trek in this movie. They could have done it and it would have worked just fine without throwing out what the real Enterprise looked like. They were able to pull it off in TNG, DS9 and Enterprise so there's no reason they couldn't have done it in this movie. But I understand that they (the writers and director) were wanting to throw out everything that was Star Trek so they could design their version of what they thought it should be.

I'l have to watch it again, but I thought Spock Prime's ship and all the red matter on it had been destroyed when young Spock rammed it into the Narada. Even if it wasn't, Spock Prime's ship was built for a specific mission - and engaging a much larger ship wasn't it. (Heck, I'm surprised the Vulcan designers bothered to outfit it with weapons in the first place.)

There's any number of ways that it could be done, he could travel back far enough in time to kill Nero's great-great grandfather and thus no Nero. He could travel backward in time and use green matter to close the space-time rift that was created by the red matter. Or he could use blue matter to render the Narada's weapons inoperable thus allowing the destruction of the ship. After all why not come up with silly solutions to solve something caused by a silly invention of "red matter"?

I thought blue matter only affects Bizarro Nero.

I'l have to watch it again, but I thought Spock Prime's ship and all the red matter on it had been destroyed when young Spock rammed it into the Narada. Even if it wasn't, Spock Prime's ship was built for a specific mission - and engaging a much larger ship wasn't it. (Heck, I'm surprised the Vulcan designers bothered to outfit it with weapons in the first place.)

I thought blue matter only affects Bizarro Nero.

No, that's purple matter.