Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The New U.S. Currency

Do you like the new style of U.S. Currency?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new style of U.S. Currency?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I don't care, they all spend the same way

The new bills are not as cool as our money looked before the first facelift but a little better at least than the last. I understand why the changes continue to be necessary and perhaps this new one will be more counterfeit resistant than the last were.

Cool "tour" feature. :)

is it still green? the front looked like it had a bit less green.

I'll let you know when I get one lol

Be sure to click some of the links in the flash movie. It shows some of the features in it.

As long as there are people who will take $150 bills with Clinton on it then it doesn't matter how much security they add. LOL

With the problem of counterfeiting, I am surprised that it has taken so long for many of these features to be added. You guys really should think about changing the colour of some of those bills too. LOL

Here is a link to the Bank of Canada that shows some of the security features on Canadian banknotes.

Bank of Canada

Edited by Takara_Soong

I don't like the colorful money that other nations use. Looks like play money to me. Who could take a pink $100 bill seriously? I'd stop using cash completely if they started making US currency look like monopoly money.

As long as it spends like the old currency,those bills could be tyedye for all I care :)

I kind of like the new look,though.Its different.What I'd like to see is some new bills with pictures honoring some new people (not that I'm against those Presidents whose faces already grace the faces of our money).But,it should change ever so often.

As long as it spends like the old currency,those bills could be tyedye for all I care :)

I kind of like the new look,though.Its different.What I'd like to see is some new bills with pictures honoring some new people (not that I'm against those Presidents whose faces already grace the faces of our money).But,it should change ever so often.

Yeah, that would be cool but the thing about changing the pictures though would be who decides and how political would it be?

I can imagine a lot of political fights over the portraits. There actually has already been talk of changing the portrait of the $10 bill from Alexander Hamilton to Ronald Reagan (after he has passed away of course). I know that will cause a big political fight but I would be for it.

Stardate:213781.9

Doesnt really matter to me.I think that like other people said it doesnt matter cause counterfeiters will find a way to copy it pretty soon

I think they look better because they at least give them a little more colour. i just read the features and it says that the 20 will have both green and peach hues, and it will be both green and another colour for every bill, so you can tell it apart easier.

and it will be both green and another colour for every bill, so you can tell it apart easier.

No one has trouble telling the bills apart, I've talked to people from other countries that say they can't tell one US bill from another because we don't use colors but anyone in the US that is from the US can tell a $1 from a $5 from a $20 just as easily as telling a penny from a quarter. I personally don't think the colors are needed for anything other then maybe as an anti-counterfeit measure.

ya i cant tell apart American money, but i geuss thats cuz im not American. i geuss someone who uses it everyday could tell the difference. (and i dont even carry cash. interac's the way for me!)

I think the new currency looks pretty cool. I like the added color. As for the counterfieting, we'll have to wait and see how long it takes but I don't think it will be long.

ya i cant tell apart American money, but i geuss thats cuz im not American. i geuss someone who uses it everyday could tell the difference. (and i dont even carry cash. interac's the way for me!)

Trust me, if you lived south of the boarder you'd be able to tell the difference between a $5 and a $50 or a $1 and a $10 very easily. That's one of the most basic things of life, I was able to tell a $5 from a $100 from a $20 when I was 4 years old without using special colors.

Australian money is plastic.....its hard to chew.....isnt American money paper....?

oh well...your treasury has good artists

Australian money is plastic.....its hard to chew.....isnt American money paper....?

oh well...your treasury has good artists

It's called "paper money" but it's not actually paper. It's a cotton fabric that feels and looks like paper but lasts a lot longer then paper would.

I'm with you on this one Bysty. I hardly ever carry cash - it's my debit card or nothing.

I was IMing with Lessa about this and it seems we may have better access than they do in the States. She was telling me that in her area only Arby's takes them now but other fast food places are starting to. I haven't carried much cash for almost 15 years now because I am so dependent on my debit card. lol

In Canada we have a $1 coin (nicknamed the Loonie because it originally had an image of a loon on one side) and a $2 coin (nicknamed the twoonie - I'm sure you can figure that one out lol). I love having the coins. When I look in the change section of my wallet it feels like found money when I discover I have $5 to $10 more than I thought. LOL

I'm with you on this one Bysty. I hardly ever carry cash - it's my debit card or nothing.

I was IMing with Lessa about this and it seems we may have better access than they do in the States. She was telling me that in her area only Arby's takes them now but other fast food places are starting to. I haven't carried much cash for almost 15 years now because I am so dependent on my debit card. lol

In Canada we have a $1 coin (nicknamed the Loonie because it originally had an image of a loon on one side) and a $2 coin (nicknamed the twoonie - I'm sure you can figure that one out lol). I love having the coins. When I look in the change section of my wallet it feels like found money when I discover I have $5 to $10 more than I thought. LOL

The problem with the coins (we also have a $1 coin) is that if you have $9 then you have to either have a $5 and 4 $1 coins or 9 $1 coins. That's not very practicle and that's why the $1 coin has never really taken hold in the United States.

As for not having access to Debit cards in the states, that's not correct. Debit cards are widly accepted at most places. In fact I rarely carry any large amount of cash because it's easier to just use my debit card. So it's possible that there are small stores or small towns that don't accept them but you don't have to look far for places that do.

Yes, it looks O.K. It doesn't look too much like monopoly money. All I'm worried about is how long do you think it will take counterfeiters to duplicate this new bill. :bow:

Yes, it looks O.K.  It doesn't look too much like monopoly money.  All I'm worried about is how long do you think it will take counterfeiters to duplicate this new bill. :bow:

Even though I don't really care for the colors I do think it will be a fairly secure design. For these security features to be duplicated it would likely be a fairly expensive thing to do. If I was a counterfeiter and it was costing me $20 to make a $20 bill it wouldn't be worth it, would it even be worth it if it was $15 to make a $20?

Ok, I'm not from America; I live in Canada, so my view point on your currency might be from a different angle. It's got more security... thats a good thing. But seriously, the commercials say that the new bills now have COLOR. What a joke. Still looks black and white to me. Just take a look at our colorful, beautiful, and dazzling bills, and you will notice the diff! Oh, and what's with the $1 bill thing. They last for such a short time and their value makes it NOT WORTH IT. Go for a coin, you will get more bang for your buck, to coin a phrase. (Both puns fully intended) But for the obvious counter argument: you are RIGHT... the $2 CANADIAN COIN IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT. And that concludes my procrastination and my ramble for the day.

P.S. Just think of it, in the 23rd century this will be one less thing to ramble about. I guess I was born in the right era. Cause I LOVE TO RAMBLE!

They've tried coins; the Susan B. Anthony (I know why it failed, it was the same size as a quarter) and the Sacagawea or Golden Eagle (my favorite, see spoiler). I don't understand why the Golden Eagle failed; it was the perfect dollar coin imo.

Click for Spoiler:

gold_dollar.jpggold_dollar2.jpg

Oh yeah I know why it failed, nothing costs less than a dollar anymore! :bow:

I believe it failed because of how cumbersome it is to have more then a couple of them in your pocket at one time.

I like to get a roll of them from time to time though and spend them just for the reactions of the cashiers. One time I went to the bank and got about 20 Susan B. Anthony dollars, went to Lowe's and bought something for the house. I used the SBA's to pay for it (knowing that it would cause either confusion or surprise). THe cashier, probably 19 or 20 was completely confused. At first she thought it was foreign money and had to look very closely at them. Then she read the usual things that identify them as U.S. Currency but was still confused and didn't know what to do. She told me that she didn't think they were used as money anymore and she didn't think she could accept them. I laughed, again knowing that I would cause some kind of confusion when I used them, I suggested that she might want to ask her head cashier (I used to work for Lowe's so I knew who to send her to). She went off to ask permission to accept the coins (leaving her register unlocked I might add) and about 4 minutes later came back with a sheepish look on her face and explained that she had never seen a dollar coin before.

Since I had done this on purpose I pulled out another Susan B. Anthony and gave it to her to keep, she didn't want to accept but I insisted and since the head cashier was there as a witness that I gave it to her (proving that she didn't steal it out of the register) she accepted it.

That day was fun, but I usually have the most fun when I do that at McDonalds or other fast food joints. The reason for that is that you usually have someone that's working their very first job and they may be 15 or 16 and (no offense to the Teens on the board here) they are easily confused :bow: I don't do that very often though because I wind up giving half of the coins away to the cashiers lol

Still looks black and white to me.  Just take a look at our colorful, beautiful, and dazzling bills, and you will notice the diff!  Oh, and what's with the $1 bill thing.  

They're actually green and white (not quite white though). And to be completely honest, there is no offense meant to people from other countries that use colorful money but this is just the opinion of almost everyone (if not everyone) I know. The red, pink, blue or yellow money is looked at as being phoney money, or as was described to me just last night it's seen as being from a "Banana Republic". For Americans paper money has, for the most part always been Green and white. The only "colorful" money we ever use is in Monopoly or the game of Life or other board games.

I know that the color has no meaning to the value of the money but a pink $100 would seem to have no value, or less value I should say.

As for the coins, the Government has tried to get rid of the $1 note for a while but the won't be able to. The public would never accept it, for one reason they would have to re-do all of the portraits because George Washington will remain on the most widely used piece of currency in circulation, that is the $1 right now. Lincoln is on the $5 and he will remain there as well.

Another thing they have tried to get rid of is the penny, for those not familiar with U.S. currency a penny is the lowest denomination of money we use. It is 1/100th of one dollar and has Abraham Lincoln on the ovberse and the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse.

The penny and the $1 bill are going to be around for quite some time I predict.

Ok, I'm the manager of a cash office and I live close enough to the Canadian border that we get Canadian cash...anything under $1 is taken just like our coinage. Question for you Canadians near the border - do the provinces take American coinage? Loonies and Toonies (sorry, but I still hear Bugs Bunny music when I say those two together) are treated like bills - that is, we have to call for the current exchange rate. Any thoughts from North of the Border?

Debit cards are accepted pretty universally here, except for restaurants. In that case, ATM's also abound. (Boy, do they ever!)

I kind of like the pix of the new $20's. I haven't been to work in a couple of days - I'll reserve judgment until I actually see one. (And, as for me, I agree - colored money looks funny to me - but I grew up with the green!)

I don't really care one way or another about the new bills. If they cut down on counterfeits, more power to them.

The thing that ticked me off was the ad for them I saw on tv last night. Nice to see my tax dollars at work paying for useless tv advertising! GRRRRRRRR! B)

Yeah.The new colors are cool.I get twenty bucks a month allowance,and I got one of the first new bills that came into my parent's store.It looks neat.I can't decide whether to save it or spend it :lol: