I'm glad I didn't have to request time off from work, or order advance tickets, or see it in IMAX. It was good, but it wasn't that good.

I won't give away any plot points, but there were some parts worth mentioning:

Click for Spoiler:

* Scotty materializing inside a water tank was funny.

Click for Spoiler:

* The Red Shirts actually know how to fight, and not a single one dies!

* Uhura was HOT!! (This one is so obvious I'm not even going to bother with the spoiler.

* Chekhov has dirty blond curly hair :P

Click for Spoiler:

It was funny having the computer not understand him because of his accent.

Maybe it is just because I remember how TOS looked and have gotten used to that, but I considered this to be more a movie about Star Trek. There were some things about it that long-time Star Trek fans will like, and overall it isn't a bad movie, but I don't think it will be a reboot of the franchise. Then again it may win some people over the way the new Battlestar Galactica did.

I will say it was the best of the odd-numbered Treks and was better than Nemesis which was the worst of the even-numbered Treks. However, one movie by itself won't break the odd = bad, even = good pattern.

EDIT: OK, one Red Shirt died. But at least it was a heroic death.

One more EDIT:

Click for Spoiler:

OK, Sulu forgetting to switch off the inertial dampeners before going to warp was funny. It would have been funnier if he said something like "I'm usually the physicist." since in the TOS polot that's what he was.
Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Over all I agree with your review, and for that matter all of the reviews so far.

Click for Spoiler:

Go back and look at the sky diving part, the one that died was wearing a read pressure suit. He was the "Red Shirt" of the movie.

Click for Spoiler:
After Spock boards the Vulcan ship on board the mining vessel, Kirk is seen walking through some pipes. His Starfleet phaser has switched to a Romulan gun (longer barrel and no lights), before switching back to the Starfleet one again in the next scene. He actually acquires the Romulan gun a few scenes later.

Click for Spoiler:

Hahahahahaha, if you want to call that a "heroic" death that's fine. Everyone in the audience I was in kind of laughed then went "Awwww".

Over all I agree with your review, and for that matter all of the reviews so far.

Click for Spoiler:

Go back and look at the sky diving part, the one that died was wearing a read pressure suit. He was the "Red Shirt" of the movie.

Click for Spoiler:

He was also "Engineer" Olsen. So he normally wore a red uniform.

Click for Spoiler:

Hahahahahaha, if you want to call that a "heroic" death that's fine. Everyone in the audience I was in kind of laughed then went "Awwww".

Click for Spoiler:

Look, the guy skydived head first for a couple thousand kilometers from space! True the actual death had comedic elements, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as being attacked by spores or steping on a rock or any other wrong-place, wrong-time events.

Maybe it is just because I remember how TOS looked and have gotten used to that, but I considered this to be more a movie about Star Trek.

One of the many things I liked about it was its ability to be so many different things and do them all well.

Something always bugged me about all the rapid rises in rank. The whole young-people-in-space thing seemed too familiar as a plot. I couldn't articulate it at the time, but I figured it out.

It was the line when that flying motorcycle cop called boy Kirk "citizen" that gave me a clue. Where else have we seen a militaristic-type space movie with young people getting rapid promotions?

Then it hit me. Starship Troopers! This is really just a rehashing of the basic Starship Troopers plot points set in the Star Trek universe!

Something always bugged me about all the rapid rises in rank. The whole young-people-in-space thing seemed too familiar as a plot. I couldn't articulate it at the time, but I figured it out.

It was the line when that flying motorcycle cop called boy Kirk "citizen" that gave me a clue. Where else have we seen a militaristic-type space movie with young people getting rapid promotions?

Then it hit me. Starship Troopers! This is really just a rehashing of the basic Starship Troopers plot points set in the Star Trek universe!

I suppose there are some similarities. But overall this movie is just better than Starship Troopers on every conceivable level.

I suppose there are some similarities. But overall this movie is just better than Starship Troopers on every conceivable level.

Starship Troopers had more sex. Star Trek just implied sex.

Actually, having a cadet being advanced from Cadet to Captain (skipping Ensign, Lieutenant., Lt. Commander and Commander) and beign given command of the fleets brand spanking new flagship is pretty inconceivable. Not to mention the fact that he was a Cadet that was placed on academic suspension and the way things were looking was about to be expelled. lol

All these sorts of thing I have hashed out in my head-the head of an older-gen trekkie...and I understand the contravening situations. But, at some point I had to basically say, 'ok, it's the way it is, just set it aside, and go enjoy the movie'. To take it as it's been put out there, and move ahead ...

Edited by Voyager recruit

Starship Troopers has more sex than a lot of movies, doesn't make it any better. And sex isn't even one of the levels I'd consider.

Actually, having a cadet being advanced from Cadet to Captain (skipping Ensign, Lieutenant., Lt. Commander and Commander) and beign given command of the fleets brand spanking new flagship is pretty inconceivable. Not to mention the fact that he was a Cadet that was placed on academic suspension and the way things were looking was about to be expelled. lol

Yeah, I don't think he was gonna be expelled. He did do the exact same thing that Kirk Prime did on the test and he didn't get expelled. Even McCoy said the board would most likely have decided in his favour.

Actually, having a cadet being advanced from Cadet to Captain (skipping Ensign, Lieutenant., Lt. Commander and Commander) and being given command of the fleets brand spanking new flagship is pretty inconceivable. Not to mention the fact that he was a Cadet that was placed on academic suspension and the way things were looking was about to be expelled. lol

Yeah, I don't think he was gonna be expelled. He did do the exact same thing that Kirk Prime did on the test and he didn't get expelled. Even McCoy said the board would most likely have decided in his favour.

That's a point open for each person to contemplate of course but if we look at modern day military academies and use them as a "guide", expulsion for cheating is the norm. That's not to say it's set in stone of course, but it was looking that way to me.

That point aside though, taking the assumption that he would not be expelled it would still be inconceivable to see a cadet go from Cadet to Captain of the fleets flagship in the blink of an eye. I'd be interested in their explanation about how that happened. I understand why they did it, just like with Delta-Vega the writer said in that interview "we just moved the planet" (or words to that effect).

It's not a real big deal, it's just a movie and not reality. But just one of those little annoyances, something they they easily could have avoided if they cared to.

One thing I didnt like is the movie implies that ALL Starfleet Cadets take the Kobyasha Maru. The only other time we saw the test administered was to Saavik in TWOK, and she was already a Lieutenant at that point.

Unless the Cadets were going for bridge officer or command-track positions it would seem pointless to give the test to everyone.

Of course in the Prime timeline Spock was not an instructor until after The Motion Picture. It is very likely that Kirk Prime took the test under a different instructor.

But the same basic scenerio for Cadet Kirk and Lt. Saavik about 30 years later? Come on. By the time Saavik took the test it would have been old news.

Plus in Starship Troopers we get to see young girls showing their boobies!

Ahh, boobies. I like boobies. :clap: