Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

Deputy quits after wife, mom-in-law take squad car

LAKELAND, Fla. – A Polk County deputy has turned in his badge after his wife and mother-in-law took his patrol car out for a joyride. Officials said the 44-year-old deputy resigned Monday after serving 21 years with the sheriff's office.

The arrest report said his wife and mother-in-law face charges of vehicle theft, theft of a firearm and impersonating a law-enforcement officer. His wife also faces charges of possession of a firearm of a convicted felon.

A third person riding in the back seat also was arrested.

Witnesses reporting seeing the patrol car driving erratically in Lakeland on Sunday morning. The deputy apparently didn't know the car was taken.

I don't think some people realize how important it is to make a good choice in choosing a marriage companion - whatever this wife had - it wasn't brains - and this probably isn't the first stupid thing she did. Anyway a career down the tubes because he married an idiot.

LAKELAND, Fla., April 28 (UPI) -- A Polk County, Fla., deputy with 21 years service resigned after his wife, a convicted felon, took his patrol car for a spin, sheriff's officials said.

Deputy Charles Buckner, 44, turned in his badge after his wife, Gail Buckner, 38, allegedly used the car for a joy ride in Lakeland with her mother, Sharon Cooper, 54, and a friend, Alexander James Quintasket, 19, also a convicted a felon, The Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel reported Tuesday.

The two women were charged with vehicle theft, theft of a firearm and impersonating a law-enforcement officer, arrest documents said. Gail Buckner also faces charges of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. Quintasket was arrested on similar charges.

The three were arrested Sunday after another sheriff's deputy spotted the patrol car driving erratically and followed it to the Buckner home, the Sentinel reported, adding no information was immediately available on Gail Buckner and Quintasket's convictions.

Thought a deeper look was worthwhile. As a cop why did he stick it out with a convicted felon. Doesn't that call into question his police record somehow???

LAKELAND, Fla., April 28 (UPI) -- A Polk County, Fla., deputy with 21 years service resigned after his wife, a convicted felon, took his patrol car for a spin, sheriff's officials said.

Deputy Charles Buckner, 44, turned in his badge after his wife, Gail Buckner, 38, allegedly used the car for a joy ride in Lakeland with her mother, Sharon Cooper, 54, and a friend, Alexander James Quintasket, 19, also a convicted a felon, The Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel reported Tuesday.

The two women were charged with vehicle theft, theft of a firearm and impersonating a law-enforcement officer, arrest documents said. Gail Buckner also faces charges of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. Quintasket was arrested on similar charges.

The three were arrested Sunday after another sheriff's deputy spotted the patrol car driving erratically and followed it to the Buckner home, the Sentinel reported, adding no information was immediately available on Gail Buckner and Quintasket's convictions.

Thought a deeper look was worthwhile. As a cop why did he stick it out with a convicted felon. Doesn't that call into question his police record somehow???

Whoa wait...so they had a friend with them that was 19, his wife is 38, and his mother-in-law's 54? I'm not going to judge them on the fact that her mother's only 16 years older than she is, but it looks like there IS quite a bit of history and story to at least the two women.

(By the way, my fiancee's mother is only 17 years older than she is, and my fiancee was conceived when her mother was 16...so I'm not saying it makes you a bad person to be in that predicament.)

It wasn't the age thing that got me it was the fact a cop was married to a felon. I thought the two were Mutually exclusive.

It wasn't the age thing that got me it was the fact a cop was married to a felon. I thought the two were Mutually exclusive.

We don't know when his wife first became a felon. It could have been from before he joined the force or in the last couple years.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

True in which case she should have known better then too

As for someone being a convicted "felon" - what that means is you've committed a crime for which the punishment is greater than one year in jail. People can make mistakes without being a hardcore evil criminal - writing a bad check, hitting someone etc. drunk driving can be felonies. We don't know what this woman did. It is possible for people to turn their lives around

However, in this case -it's just my opinion, that this woman must be pretty stupid and that should have been obvious before this event.

As for someone being a convicted "felon" - what that means is you've committed a crime for which the punishment is greater than one year in jail.

I don't disagree with that definition (except to clarify that the crime must be punishable by a year or more in jail regardless of the actual time served). However, that definition means Nelson Mandela should be considered a felon as well.

Some felons go on to become model and influential citizens. It might not be the norm, but that doesn't mean it never happens either. I don't agree with everything Malcolm X said or did but he did inspire millions to black Muslims to lead better lives. Frank Abagnale (played by Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie Catch Me If You Can) forged checks for $2.5 million in 26 countries and went on to work for the FBI and started a fraud-prevention consulting company. Even after paying back all the money he stole he is still a wealthy man from his anti-fraud work. He even became a godparent to the daughter of the FBI agent who caught him.

We don't know what the nature of this woman's felony is or when it happened. I'm not saying the book shouldn't be thrown at her. I'm also not saying the husband is free of blame as well. But without more information we can't really draw very many conclusions.

As for someone being a convicted "felon" - what that means is you've committed a crime for which the punishment is greater than one year in jail.

I don't disagree with that definition (except to clarify that the crime must be punishable by a year or more in jail regardless of the actual time served). However, that definition means Nelson Mandela should be considered a felon as well.

Agree or not - it is the Black letter law defintion of a felony.