Sign in to follow this  

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed... Anyone see the film version of Watchmen?

Over all, I liked the film although it's nowhere near as great as the graphic novel. I pretty much loathed the lack of subtlety (i.e. Rorschach's origin story) and dislike how the movie gravitates more towards camp than realism but that's me.

Side-note: I saw it on the midnight release dressed as Rorschach, although I was the only one dressed up... I honestly would have high-fived the guy who dressed up as Richard Nixon but alas: pipe dreams.

I saw it opening night. I had only read the graphic novel recently as I had wanted to read it before seeing the movie (recently being about two months prior). Overall, I give the movie about an 8/10 (but the novel is still superior). My biggest complaint was the fact that it seemed like they had gone to such extreme detail to recreate the novel but left so many good things out of it (i.e. the origin of Rorschach's mask, Ozymandias' "I suppose I'd have had to catch the bullet" and "I did it!", etc). I am eager to see the full uncut version, as I think it will be better overall.

My other complaints were some of the scoring (all good and appropriate songs, but some were in bad spots. 99 Luftballons and Hallejuah come to mind) and initially I thought some of the violence was excessive but the novel is as well, so I guess its not that bad. I also thought Crudup's portrayal of Manhattan was too emotional and the voice didn't fit.

On the plus side, it was very faithful to the source material, aside from the ending, but the new ending works just as well. I think they absolutely nailed Rorschach and Nite Owl II, with Silk Spectre II, Ozymandias, and The Comedian also being solid. The opening credit sequence is also fantastic.