Mike

Twitter

Twitter  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Twitter ?

• Yes
    • No
    • What is Twitter ?

Twitter, MySpace,Facebook.....all the same stuff to keep you away from the real world.....

Except Twitter only allows 140 characters per entry so you have to be succinct. Basically, you're supposed to answer the question 'What are you doing?' From what I understand anyway.

Twitter, MySpace,Facebook.....all the same stuff to keep you away from the real world.....

You can also include message boards in that list Kor.. :screwloose: Sure these sites may keep you away from the real world but for someone who is lonely with nothing else in their world, it keeps them busy and sane..That's what they do for me anyway..

In my opinion what makes Twitter so cool is that I can Tweet from anywhere with my mobile device..I use twitter from everywhere so it doesn't really take me away from the real world, it just gives me more to do..I use it in Vegas from the convention..And I enjoy reading Tweets from Star Trek actors..Yeah, some of them are quite entertaining..

i've been using twitter for a couple of years now. it can be addicting. it's fun to follow trek actors and comedians on there. especially a few actors from tng.. it is a nice even if i'm away from my computer blogging tool.

I'm on Twitter every day! I love it - it's lots of fun. My Twitter profile link is in my sig.

I just use Facebook, Twitter is overrated, as is MySpace. Nobody I know at school uses it, either. Also Tigger, you can use a mobile device for Facebook and MySpace as well, so it's basically pointless.

Yeah, I use them all on my mobile device MrPsychic..Twitter, Facebook, MySpace..But I like Twitter the best out of them these days..I like Twitter because I have it setup to automatically post my updates to my Facebook page and my blog..I wouldn't call it pointless..

ARE TWEETERS THE RISING NEWS JOURNALISTS OF THE WORLD

April 6, 2009 in Uncategorized | Tags: Twitter, World News

yep… most probably! with Twitter users the world over, having cameras and Twitter accounts, breaking news is now happening via the eyes of Tweeters the world over. What an exciting world in which we live!

Why Use Twitter?

Today’s post is written by Maggie McGary, author of the blogwww.mizzinformation.com.

Right after “What is it?” the second most common question I get about Twitter is “Why would anyone waste their time using it?” A fair enough question, of course; after all, if you take a strictly purist approach to Twitter, the whole thing is supposed to start and stop at the question “What are you doing?” Therefore, it makes sense that Twitter virgins would be very skeptical about the value of “tweeting” since, after all, who really cares to read about what you’re doing at any given time?

The thing about Twitter, though, is that it’s turned into so much more than a platform for broadcasting your every move to anyone interested enough to follow you. Ok, then–what else would you use it for?

This is by no means a comprehensive list but it will hopefully help give some insight into why Twitter has become such a craze that even the White House is doing it.

1) Breaking news. It’s becoming a more a more frequent occurrence: major news stories breaking on Twitter rather than in the “real” media. The US Airways crash, an earthquake in the UK, the terrorist attack in Mumbai–these are just a handful of the many stories that were first reported on Twitter and later picked up by major news outlets. Now that millions of people are using Twitter (I just tried to find the most up-to-date number of Twitter users and can’t; however, the Twitter blog did report just three days ago that active users have increased 900% in a year) and many (it not most) of those people have cellphones equipped with cameras, it’s no surprise that the first place many news items are going to break is going to be on Twitter.

2) News in general. Too many news outlets to list are using Twitter to broadcast headlines, links to videos and who knows what else. If you follow them (for instance, I follow the Washington Post, CNN, msnbc, Today Show, etc) you have basically a ticker tape of what’s going on in the world fed right to your cellphone or web page. It’s basically a mini RSS feed of whatever news outlets you want to follow, but each entry is limited to 140 characters so you can actually keep up with it.

3) Professional networking. I’m going to speak at ASAE’s Great Ideas conferencein Miami next week. How did I picked to be a presenter? A woman who was leading a session emailed me, saying two people she works with had recommended me as someone who would be a good co-presenter. How do I know the two people who gave her my name? Twitter. Well, that and blog posts/comments; I have never met either of them in real life. Networking on Twitter is becoming more and more valuable with the job market being what it is now; there are millions of people on Twitter eager and able to help those who’ve recently lost their jobs find new ones. After all, getting jobs is all about who you know, and Twitter lets you know many more people than you’d ever have time to know in real life.

4)Microblogging. I constantly come across stuff I’d like to blog about, but there are only so many hours in the day. Twitter lets me “microblog”–post a quick comment and and provide a link to something I’d blog about if I had time. My tweets then feed into my blog.

5) Customer Service. Many companies are using Twitter for customer service:Sprint, Comcast–even Pepco. Tired of spending hours on hold only to not have your problem resolved or be given the runaround? No more; chances are pretty good that personalized customer service may be only a tweet away. Recently I had problems with Sprint and tweeted about it; next thing I know, a Sprint social media rep had tweeted me with his email address, asking me to send him the details so he could help me. He then hooked me up with an “Executive Services VIP Analyst” who not only resolved my problem this time but who is now be my permanent personal customer service rep. I have her direct phone number and her email address. More and more companies are going to be moving to this business model, so tweeting about dissatisfaction with a brand or service could definitely earn you easy, personalized customer service.

I could go on and on but I’ll spare you. Suffice it to say that even if you don’t care to share your life in 140 character bites, you might consider using Twitter as your own personal news feed or networking tool.

Never have. Likely never will. I do find the fact that some st actors put things there is definitely cool...but, I spend enough time on my desktop as it is..not that I don't enjoy it here, and another place!My life right now is so uneventful and mundane-when isn't it?-that nobody would care to know' what are you doing?' Shrug. Moving right along.......

What I was trying to point out is that twitter is much more than 'What are you doing now?'..Anyway, I think it's a great site and was just sharing in the hopes of getting some more Trek fans I know there..

Sorry. Could be neat. I'm not advocating against it. I don't blame you for wanting other st fans there. I am sure it can get 'addicitve'-in a fun way. Luck there!

I'm on Twitter every day! I love it - it's lots of fun. My Twitter profile link is in my sig.

Yeah I'm on twitter, just search RikerChick

I added the pair of you. For those interested IU am angeljane8. I use it to read celebrity stuff from the celebs. Asides from that I just post stuff about my day. Enjoy!